Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Leo Varadkar is another reason why we need rid of this government ASAP before they do anymore damage to this country.
    FG seem to think we are all children that need to be told what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Paid €6.20 for a bottle of Lech in BDSM in Cork the other night. The bar man apologised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Chloris wrote: »
    Paid €6.20 for a bottle of Lech in BDSM in Cork the other night. The bar man apologised.

That's ridiculous.....& then they cry why they not getting much business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The wonderful world of Benny Bars. Good pubs, but their prices would drive you to........drink.

The wonderful world of Benny Bars. Good pubs, but their prices would drive you to........drink.
    He's wrecked Bourbon Street too. That was my pub when I was a wee'un. White Rabbit... horrible decor and just general tackiness. So expensive for that far up the north side too.

I thought his bars were harmless enough but his monopolising is gone beyond a joke now.

• Advertisement

Why did you pay it? Whenever I'm ordering drinks I first ask the barman the price of the bottles and pints as it's not uncommon to see small 330ml cans of some American beer going for 7 or 8 euro here. Awhile back in the Roisin Dubh in Galway I ordered a can of one of the small American beers but before opening it asked how much, was told 7.20 or so and I just handed it back and got something else. Not a hope was I paying anything close to that for it when you can get it in the off license for just over 2 euro and other pubs in town had it for between 5-6 euro.

Why did you pay it? Whenever I'm ordering drinks I first ask the barman the price of the bottles and pints as it's not uncommon to see small 330ml cans of some American beer going for 7 or 8 euro here. Awhile back in the Roisin Dubh in Galway I ordered a can of one of the small American beers but before opening it asked how much, was told 7.20 or so and I just handed it back and got something else. Not a hope was I paying anything close to that for it when you can get it in the off license for just over 2 euro and other pubs in town had it for between 5-6 euro.
    It was 1:45am. I wanted it. It was a pint bottle of my favourite beer and I was enjoying my night. It's easier to carry bottles around crowded late bars than pint glasses. I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculously cheeky to charge that price when the growing monopoly is becoming increasingly unpopular. He's showing his greed and arrogance.

It was 1:45am. I wanted it. It was a pint bottle of my favourite beer and I was enjoying my night. It's easier to carry bottles around crowded late bars than pint glasses. I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculously cheeky to charge that price when the growing monopoly is becoming increasingly unpopular. He's showing his greed and arrogance.

No one is arguing that it isn't over priced and greedy but until consumers start saying no pubs will continue to charge outrageous prices. You can be angry and complain all you want but at the end of the day the bar is the only one coming out on top as consumers such as yourself are willing to pay rip off prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

No one is arguing that it isn't over priced and greedy but until consumers start saying no pubs will continue to charge outrageous prices. You can be angry and complain all you want but at the end of the day the bar is the only one coming out on top as consumers such as yourself are willing to pay rip off prices.

All well and good but that's probably not the thought process your brain employs at a quarter to two in the morning.

"Hmm, that's a bit of a rip off, I can afford it but on principal i shouldn't buy this tasty beer which I enjoy drinking, I need to exercise my right to chose and make better decisions thus creating some downward pressure on the pricing of this admittedly desirable beverage"

Becomes >

"Hmmm...Beer...Tasty Beer. Tasty Different Beer. Take my money".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was in Vietnam recently and I could buy a beer for 30c in the smaller bars.

Imagine having a night out for less than a fiver

• Advertisement

All well and good but that's probably not the thought process your brain employs at a quarter to two in the morning.

"Hmm, that's a bit of a rip off, I can afford it but on principal i shouldn't buy this tasty beer which I enjoy drinking, I need to exercise my right to chose and make better decisions thus creating some downward pressure on the pricing of this admittedly desirable beverage"

Becomes >

"Hmmm...Beer...Tasty Beer. Tasty Different Beer. Take my money".

I've often been out in the wee hours and had enough cop on not to be ripped off. As long as people continue to pay outlandish prices, publicans will continue to charge as much as they can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Help!!!! wrote: »
    That's ridiculous.....& then they cry why they not getting much business

Well, they're thinking is not "we are too expensive", they think "those bloody supermarkets are taking our livelihood, to which we have a God-given entitlement! Well, we'll soon see about that! Get the minister on the blower and have him jack up their prices!" and it seems the minister says "yes, of course, right away, I'll do that immediately!"
    So the publicans have some kind of hold over the government that farmers and the church can only dream about.
    I wonder why the government is in the pockets of the vintner's federation? Why does Varadkar dance when they pull out their whistle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Grayson wrote: »

It was 20c when I was there a few year ago :pac:

But yeah, heh, dinner out and a few beers for a 5er. Amazing stuff.

-=al=- wrote:
    It was 20c when I was there a few year ago
    Shtop, I didn't know myself in Prague with Pilsner for 1.50!

Grayson wrote: »

Remember when my brother came back from Thailand or Camboia and drank about ten bottle of Singha that I had in the fridge. When I got annoyed at him he offered to pay me for them and took 3 euro out of his wallet as he'd been paying something like 30 cent a bottle over there. Over here it's 3.30-3.60 a bottle in the off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I've often been out in the wee hours and had enough cop on not to be ripped off. As long as people continue to pay outlandish prices, publicans will continue to charge as much as they can.

Or when people decide to stop going to the bars, the publicans try impose minimum pricing :pac: :mad::mad::mad:

Fuccked either way, homebrew "speakeasies" all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Whenever I'm ordering drinks I first ask the barman the price of the bottles and pints as it's not uncommon to see small 330ml cans of some American beer going for 7 or 8 euro here.
    There is a tradition here of never, ever, asking what price a drink is -and the publicans take full advantage of this. There is a weird fear of appearing scabby or thrifty while in the pub, while in peoples houses people will openly brag about a good deal they got on booze, never understood that.

The price list hidden behind the bouncer on the way in is a joke, it only needs to list 1 lager.

Wetherspoons sell drink so cheaply that people have been using them like an off licence. The drinks are often a fair bit cheaper than the offie.

Loads of bottles were 1.95 last month
    https://www.facebook.com/thefortyfoot/photos/pcb.647481058716673/647480955383350/?type=1&theater

I just posted this under this article:
    The Irish government is arguing that price and price alone is responsible for problems with the drinking culture in Ireland. The reason this entire premise is baloney becomes clear when one reads the words "drinking culture".
    I was in Germany recently and went into my local Aldi. A bottle of Irish (!) whiskey (700ml/40%) is €9.99 and a can of German Pilsner (500 ml at 4.9%) is the king's ransom of 35 cent! Pubs do cost a little more, 500 ml of beer is usually to be had for €2.50.
    That means I can get a sixpack and a bottle of booze for all of €12.09. And that's before going to the pub.
    Were there hoardes of drunken Germans crawling on all fours on the supermarket car park or anywhere else at any time, for that matter? Were there people urinating, throwing up or fighting? No, of course not, what a silly idea. Yet by the logic of the Irish government that should have been the case.
    The problem is clearly evident in the phrase "drinking culture". In Germany you drink beer because you like it, in Ireland you pour as much beer down your gullet as fast as possible to get drunk, despite hating the taste. If you ever go to a German bar and try real beer and then to an Irish pub and try the filth people drink here, you will understand the difference immediately.
    This whole idea of minimum pricing is just to appease the "won't somebody please think of the children" brigade, it is simply so Mr Varadkar can stand up there and pat himself on the back on what a great job he's done.
    Or is it?
    Since this move will affect mostly "cheap" (Ha!) alcohol in supermarkets and leave pub prices largely unaffected and we know how much off license sales have been sticking in the craw of publicans and how much our friends in the vintner's federations are linked rather intimately with their very dear friends, colleagues and relatives in politics, one has to wonder if this move is not a rather convenient boon to our long suffering friends in the pub trade in difficult times?
    Because in Ireland, why compete when you can just stitch up the market all for yourself when you've got the right friends in the right places?

You think they'll print that?

rubadub wrote: »
    There is a tradition here of never, ever, asking what price a drink is -and the publicans take full advantage of this. There is a weird fear of appearing scabby or thrifty while in the pub, while in peoples houses people will openly brag about a good deal they got on booze, never understood that.

The price list hidden behind the bouncer on the way in is a joke, it only needs to list 1 lager.

Wetherspoons sell drink so cheaply that people have been using them like an off licence. The drinks are often a fair bit cheaper than the offie.

Loads of bottles were 1.95 last month
    https://www.facebook.com/thefortyfoot/photos/pcb.647481058716673/647480955383350/?type=1&theater

If you are too embarrassed to ask the price of drinks then more fool you. I almost always ask how much a pint or bottle is as it's very easy to say "I'll take a pint of whatever" and then be told it's 6 or 7 euro.

Weatherspoons are great but till they expand a little over here only a few of us can use them. I have friends who go to the ones in Dublin when drinking at home, most bottles are cheaper than any off license.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

rubadub wrote: »
    Are there any associations or groups who have officially/openly opposed it? seems to be that groups have been sort of bullied or at least coerced into supporting it. Like an alcohol awarness group will ring up a random company and ask if they support it and the knee jerk response would be to say yes.

The only voice I have seen against MUP is Sinn Fein - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/alcohol-bill-to-be-published-during-summer-varadkar-says-1.2186504 Those in favour - Vintners Federation of Ireland Licensed Vintners Association National Off Licence Association Restaurants Association of Ireland Irish Hotel Federation Plus - Members of the Minimum Pricing coalition: Alcohol Action Ireland, Alcohol Forum, Barnardos, Citywide Drugs Crisis Campaign, Focus Ireland, Foroige, Irish Association of Social Care Workers, Irish Association of Suicidology, Mental Health Ireland, Rape Crisis Network of Ireland, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, Faculty of Public Health Medicine, Social Care Ireland, St Patrick’s University Hospital, St Vincent de Paul, The Alzheimer Society of Ireland, The Ballymun Local Drugs Task Force, The College of Psychiatry of Ireland, The Clondalkin Local Drugs Task Force, The National Family Support Network, The Irish Cancer Society, The Irish Heart Foundation, The Irish Medical Organisation, The ISPCC, The National Youth Council of Ireland, The No Name Club, The RISE Foundation, The Rutland Centre, The Samaritans, The Swan Family Support Organisation, Women’s Aid, Pavee Point Traveller and Roma Centre, Console, Aware and Galway Healthy Cities Project. - See more at: http://alcoholireland.ie/minimum-pricing-campaign/supporters/#sthash.9G209FIB.dpuf Looks like we are goosed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

elperello wrote: »
    The only voice I have seen against MUP is Sinn Fein - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/alcohol-bill-to-be-published-during-summer-varadkar-says-1.2186504 Those in favour - Vintners Federation of Ireland Licensed Vintners Association National Off Licence Association Restaurants Association of Ireland Irish Hotel Federation Plus - Members of the Minimum Pricing coalition: Alcohol Action Ireland, Alcohol Forum, Barnardos, Citywide Drugs Crisis Campaign, Focus Ireland, Foroige, Irish Association of Social Care Workers, Irish Association of Suicidology, Mental Health Ireland, Rape Crisis Network of Ireland, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, Faculty of Public Health Medicine, Social Care Ireland, St Patrick’s University Hospital, St Vincent de Paul, The Alzheimer Society of Ireland, The Ballymun Local Drugs Task Force, The College of Psychiatry of Ireland, The Clondalkin Local Drugs Task Force, The National Family Support Network, The Irish Cancer Society, The Irish Heart Foundation, The Irish Medical Organisation, The ISPCC, The National Youth Council of Ireland, The No Name Club, The RISE Foundation, The Rutland Centre, The Samaritans, The Swan Family Support Organisation, Women’s Aid, Pavee Point Traveller and Roma Centre, Console, Aware and Galway Healthy Cities Project. - See more at: http://alcoholireland.ie/minimum-pricing-campaign/supporters/#sthash.9G209FIB.dpuf Looks like we are goosed!

Its a sad day when I'm agreeing with a Sinn Fein representative.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm surprised at the drugs task forces, tbh. You'd think they'd know that addicts will do anything to be able to afford their drug of choice. Perhaps, though, they're coming at it from the perspective that it may help stop kids getting started, but I'd think that kids would be the prime targets of the dangerous illegal booze trade. When you're young and you want to get locked you'll drink anything (Jaegermeister anyone?) and you don't care/know enough to not drink something in a HP sauce bottle sold out of the boot of some bloke's car.

Either way it's a pain in the hoop that my occasional bottle of wine has to suffer for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Doctor just on newstalk complaining about how people feel entitled to drink wine with their dinner's and saying how our new proposed increase on wine is a good thing.

I guess ill be making more of my own plonk come budget time, i highly reccomend people invest in their own home kits

VinLieger wrote: »
    Doctor just on newstalk complaining about how people feel entitled to drink wine with their dinner's and saying how our new proposed increase on wine is a good thing.

I guess ill be making more of my own plonk come budget time, i highly reccomend people invest in their own home kits

I know I'll certainly give it a try.
    Wine is hard to make in this country, so there will be booze cruises.

I know I'll certainly give it a try.
    Wine is hard to make in this country, so there will be booze cruises.

It really isn't, look into the home brew kits, ive got a vat that produces 30 bottles. You can get kits that take different lengths of times as well, surprisingly the best results ive gotten are with ones that only take 7-8 days

It really isn't, look into the home brew kits, ive got a vat that produces 30 bottles. You can get kits that take different lengths of times as well, surprisingly the best results ive gotten are with ones that only take 7-8 days

Really? Where do you get the grapes? Or do you grow them here?

Really? Where do you get the grapes? Or do you grow them here?

Your don't use grapes, you buy a box kit that has a bag of grape juice plus yeast and clearing agents in it, I know doesnt sound amazing :). You mix it with water and add the yeast and clearing agents at specific intervals, it takes a couple of goes to figure it out and you end up with some not quite amazing stuff but still drinkable but once you have the hang of it you get some really nice stuff and the price works out to about 2 euro a bottle if you go for one of the more expensive kits

Check out amazon for an idea of different kind of kits http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wine%20kits

Better off going to one of the specific home brew sites to buy the gear though, and you can get better rated kits at them as well plus forums and guides with advice etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

And yet they keep telling us that the key to a healthy heart is a Mediterranean diet, which includes a glass of wine with dinner, starting at the age of about 14.

kylith wrote: »
    And yet they keep telling us that the key to a healthy heart is a Mediterranean diet, which includes a glass of wine with dinner, starting at the age of about 14.

Exactly, i was really disgusted by the insinuation that people are not entitled to drink whatever the fvck they like with dinner and should basically be checking with their GP about ever unit of alcohol they consume

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

kylith wrote: »

Only if it's in a Pub and terribly expensive then it's ok.

Advertisement