Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

I'm moving the fcuk back to Amsterdam. In supermarket Dirk Van Den Broek:

10 x 500ml cans of Warsteiner - €6.99

Crate of 24 bottles of Grolsch - €9.49

A fucking crate of beer there costs less than a pack of smokes in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Home brew FTW ;) :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'm moving the fcuk back to Amsterdam. In supermarket Dirk Van Den Broek:

10 x 500ml cans of Warsteiner - €6.99

Crate of 24 bottles of Grolsch - €9.49

A fucking crate of beer there costs less than a pack of smokes in Ireland.

but won't someone think of the children !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Come on EU court, daddy needs a new pair of crates!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I wonder if men with vans will be doing trips to NI or further afield and doing a nice bit of Del Boy style business on their return...

I would certainly turn a blind eye.

This country pisses me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

KungPao wrote: »
    I wonder if men with vans will be doing trips to NI or further afield and doing a nice bit of Del Boy style business on their return...

I would certainly turn a blind eye.

This country pisses me off.

I for one will most certainly go up. Veruks pontificating with matt Cooper now. Ashile

Minister Varadkar is squirming away on the Last Word at the moment , not making much sense. Admits he has had 'a bit' of lobbying from the drinks industry ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

All this will do is lead to everyone flocking up north again for their cheap booze, taking millions of euro out of the economy.

The nordies are also bringing in a similar law I think. The powers that be are all conspiring to rip us off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Do you think that the Government will let the Supermarkets pocket the difference between the old price and the new price? I doubt it.

It's not a tax, so that's exactly what's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not a tax, so that's exactly what's going to happen.
    Thereby increasing VAT receipts...

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Except there's literally no benefit at all.

I think it'll have a positive affect on kids pooling their money and getting plastered.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Except the volume of Alcohol sales will drop, most likely greater than the price increase could cover, therefore it'll cause a decrease in VAT receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think it'll have a positive affect on kids pooling their money and getting plastered.

Gone with the days of 10 people chipping in a 5er for a 50 bag, they'll be doing the same thing for slabs now :pac:

'How much do you drink on a night out minister ?'

squirm squirm squirm , he could not even answer that !

Veruks admitting to drinking too much. :)
    Being quizzed in the Dail bar. Slippery snakein his way out of it

If they wanted to rake money from this they would have increased duty, not set a minimum price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

All this will do is lead to everyone flocking up north again for their cheap booze, taking millions of euro out of the economy.

It will also have the unbelievable effect of having people like me saying

"you know, Fianna Fail weren't that bad."

I was willing to overlook your idiotic wasteful half-baked national healthcare plan for children, Varadkar, but I'm not going to forgive this bonkers, nanny-state, censorship based policy that will hurt the economy.

I was willing to overlook your idiotic wasteful half-baked national healthcare plan for children, Varadkar, but I'm not going to forgive this bonkers, nanny-state, censorship based policy that will hurt the economy.

Here here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Right there with you, this is the issue that will make me not vote FG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Nanny state bollox - we can't even have a glass of wine without some politician/quango frowning at us.

If some people are drinking themselves into oblivion, why are the rest of us having to pay for it? Stop taking the easy route and go after these people directly.

We need a proper socially liberal/economically conservative party, but all we have is a ragtag of loony-left and interfering centrists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

VinLieger wrote: »
    Right there with you, this is the issue that will make me not vote FG
    There isn't a party in the Dail that will not support this. FF will support it because they're stuffed full of publicans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

sure a 500ml bottle of coke is nearly €2 euro in places, having cheaper alcohol than a bottle of coke shouldn't be as 'kids' will see alcohol as a cheaper alternative, once they have someone to buy it for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

This is vote changer for me, sick to death of liberal lefty politicians telling me what I can and can't do and whats good for me. It's especially galling when those concerned are of foreign origin.

allimac wrote: »
    This is vote changer for me, sick to death of liberal lefty politicians telling me what I can and can't do and whats good for me. It's especially galling when those concerned are of foreign origin.
    Come again :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

sure a 500ml bottle of coke is nearly €2 euro in places, having cheaper alcohol than a bottle of coke shouldn't be as 'kids' will see alcohol as a cheaper alternative, once they have someone to buy it for them

Kids can't purchase alcohol so that's a nonsense argument. An adult product that is aimed at adults and only purchasable by adults should not be price hiked for the sake of protecting a group that can't even buy it. Nanny state bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Come again :confused:

I guess you can read. I don't like foreigners telling me what to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Deep Six wrote: »
    Kids can't purchase alcohol so that's a nonsense argument. An adult product that is aimed at adults and only purchasable by adults should not be price hiked for the sake of protecting a group that can't even buy it. Nanny state bull****.

I don't mean like 10yr old or anything, young teens, or underage teens drinking which is increasing also. I also think that if you spend over 30-50 a week on booze in shops, maybe they have a problem. I like to go out every so often but these price changes wont have any effect really on people unless its more of a weekly or daily thing

Leo Varadkar is an Irish born, duly elected TD...

Who's the foreigner you speak of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The price of the 500ml bottle of coke is a different problem. We are being ripped off here. I was in Germany a few weeks ago. In the supermarket, a 1.5 ltr. bottle of coke was 69c.

Water is about €1 for a 500ml bottle here. That's €2 for 1 ltr. Think about it. €2 for 1 ltr. of water and it's about €1.31 for a litre of petrol. Crazy.

This increase in the price of alcohol will only aid the rip-off culture in this country and will do very little to stop people binge drinking.

Drink will become like the fags, where estimates are that 1 in every 4 packets of cigarettes has been smuggled into the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

WTF sort of an idiotic, uneducated comment is that?

Advertisement