Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Blatant discrimination against wealthy people if you ask me. All very well rescuing the poor folk who can't afford an 8 euro bottle of wine, but what about the Rich? They will continue to kill themselves with drink, abandoned by the govt.

Won't somebody think about the rich children?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Thinking of possible loopholes...

Could an offie do an offer of say "6 cans of Brand X lager and a large bag of peanuts only €12!"

So the beer is still 2 euro per can but you are getting the nuts (worth say €3) for free?

Or in a supermarket: "6 cans of Brand X lager and a pizza for €12" with the pizza being usually €3-€5

I can imagine some reference to special offers not being allowed but shops could surely find a way around it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

I don't mean like 10yr old or anything, young teens, or underage teens drinking which is increasing also. I also think that if you spend over 30-50 a week on booze in shops, maybe they have a problem. I like to go out every so often but these price changes wont have any effect really on people unless its more of a weekly or daily thing

They still can't purchase alcohol until they are 18. This legislation is in the same category of mind numbing ****wittery as the off licence opening hours - the only people that get punished are tax paying working adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

allimac wrote: »
    This is vote changer for me, sick to death of liberal lefty politicians telling me what I can and can't do and whats good for me. It's especially galling when those concerned are of foreign origin.

Fine Gael are centre right, more like authoritarian then liberal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Blatant discrimination against wealthy people if you ask me.
    :) good one.

Someone on minimum wage who likes a beer in the evening will have to cut back. A wealthy yummie mummy who knocks back a bottle of wine every night won't care about the price increase. Lazy law-making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Probably been mentioned allready but homebrew is real easy to do. Keep the pennies home. Leave the brands sell to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Whiskey's very scarce but i've a little still.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thereby increasing VAT receipts...
    The VAT increase is pathetic compared to what they could be getting.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Offies in remote areas could clean up if they wanted, just remain stocking cheapo beers and actually take the expensive ones off the shelf, leaving people with no choice unless they want to travel elsewhere. So they would be creaming in the extra profit. -Remember this suggestion is NOT an increase in excise, the only extra the government will seemingly get is the VAT.

So if a can is currently €1, this is a ex-vat selling price of 81cent, and vat of 19cent, and the government get excise.

If the can goes to €2.20, the ex-vat selling price is €1.79 and vat of 41cent, excise is the same. So the government get 22cent more, while the offie get 98cent more

KungPao wrote: »
    Thinking of possible loopholes...

Could an offie do an offer of say "6 cans of Brand X lager and a large bag of peanuts only €12!"
    Lots of loopholes, wetherspoons currently sell many drinks cheaper than off licences, it would be full meals with beer, not peanuts (-cue the wetherspoons food is crap whinging cunts, save your fucking breath you tools).

It could be buy a bottle of jameson & 12 year old jameson for 56 euro. Or buy 5 cans of fancy beer and 5 cans of standard beer, the fancy one which used to be 3.50 per bottle.

Varadker will have blood on his hands when people are dying from drinking criminal gangs fake vodka which is really industrial alcohols.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

This is vote changer for me, sick to death of liberal lefty politicians telling me what I can and can't do and whats good for me. It's especially galling when those concerned are of foreign origin.

Even in a discussion on minimum alcohol pricing, there's at least one flaming bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I guess you can read. I don't like foreigners telling me what to do

BANNED

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

This Government with the introduction of the LPT, Water Charges, Min price for alcohol and the yet to be introduced Broadcast charge are killing people with taxes.

this is a list of taxes they have stood over or brought in during their reign in Government. The even longer list of taxes we pay
    1. Car tax
    2. Car insurance - govt levy
    3. Local Property tax FG introduced in 2013
    4. Household charge FG introduced in 2012
    5. Universal Social Charge (USC) 2014 – FG introduce a 4th band
    6. PRSI
    7. PAYE
    8. Carbon tax
    9. Pension levy
    10. House insurance-govt levy
    11. Utility bill- PSO govt levy
    12. NCT charge
    13. Plastic bag levy
    14. Credit card levy
    15. VAT
    16. Customs Tax on Alcohol 2013 – FG introduce the 1 € on a bottle of wine
    17. Customs Tax on Cigs
    18. Broadcasting charge FG TBC in 2015. The Pat Rabitte special
    19. Septic tank charge FG introduce in 2011
    20. Toll Charges
    21. Bin Charges
    22. Dog License
    23. Gun License
    24. 60% Tax on Petrol & Diesel
    25. Inheritance or death Tax Hiked by 65%
    26. Fishing License
    27. Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT)
    28. Hospital Admittance Charge
    29. Passport Charge
    30. Fire Brigade call out charge
    31. School Charges
    32. Third level registration fees
    33. Health Insurance Levy
    34. VRT
    35. Driving License
    36. Voluntary??? School Contribution for Free Education
    37. Stamp Duty
    38. Prescription charges FG introduced in 2011
    39. Water Charges FG introduce in 2014
    40. Tax relief on private health insurance FG chopped this in 2013
    41. PRTB FG raised the registration fee in 2012
    42. Maternity pay Chopped by 14% and now taxed
    43. Bin Charges Tax relief chopped
    44. Union subscriptions Tax relief scrapped

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fiskar wrote: »
    This Government with the introduction of the LPT, Water Charges, Min price for alcohol and the yet to be introduced Broadcast charge are killing people with taxes.

this is a list of taxes they have stood over or brought in during their reign in Government. The even longer list of taxes we pay
    1. Car tax
    6. PRSI
    7. PAYE
    8. Carbon tax
    9. Pension levy
    12. NCT charge
    13. Plastic bag levy
    14. Credit card levy
    15. VAT
    17. Customs Tax on Cigs
    20. Toll Charges
    21. Bin Charges
    22. Dog License
    23. Gun License
    26. Fishing License
    29. Passport Charge
    31. School Charges
    34. VRT
    35. Driving License
    37. Stamp Duty

Have a drink and forget all about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Talked to someone who works in royal college of physicians who for those that don't know are the main doctors aka shills out propping this nonsense up on the air waves today.

Apparently they are all going round today smelling their own farts they are so smug about this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So is it the end of shít beer? If it's €2 a can minimum, can't picture many people buying dutch gold. Same with cheap spirits. Will anyone buy Aldi own brand stuff when a premium brand is the same price?

Cienciano wrote: »
    So is it the end of shít beer? If it's €2 a can minimum, can't picture many people buying dutch gold. Same with cheap spirits. Will anyone buy Aldi own brand stuff when a premium brand is the same price?

Hah you think the premium brands won't up their prices cus they are "premium"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Cienciano wrote: »

There's some quite decent session beers being sold at low prices. Both Dunnes & Spar have their own brand lagers which are brewed for them in Germany. I'd imagine they'll be discontinued if this price change comes in, which would be a great pity as they're great value at the current price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

matrim wrote: »
    What annoys me most about pubs is the price of non-alcoholic drinks. I went out yesterday morning to watch a match. I got a pint of rock shandy which was 5.40, a pint of Heineken in the same place is 4.95. How can they justify the mineral being 45c dearer when there are no taxes / duties on them?

I didn't even want a pint of beer but ended up having one instead of a second rock shandy because it was cheaper.

That is a truly ridiculous price for a soft drink but I can't understand why you would buy something you didn't want just to save 45c? Why not just nurse the first cordial and keep the €4.95 in your pocket?

Fiskar wrote: »

1. Car tax
    6. PRSI
    7. PAYE
    8. Carbon tax
    9. Pension levy
    12. NCT charge
    13. Plastic bag levy
    14. Credit card levy
    15. VAT
    17. Customs Tax on Cigs
    20. Toll Charges
    21. Bin Charges
    22. Dog License
    23. Gun License
    26. Fishing License
    29. Passport Charge
    31. School Charges
    34. VRT
    35. Driving License
    37. Stamp Duty

Jaysus, i'm after crossing my legs and farting and i'm wondering do i owe anything for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hasn't this been proven not to lower consumption rates? People just forego other things to get their regular amount of booze in.

I imagine this will impact particularly on people at the lower end of the income scale. It's a funny little country though isn't it, the solution to every problem is to tax the hell out of it and more and more government interference in business and peoples personal lives.

I'm getting very tired of being here tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

VinLieger wrote: »
    Talked to someone who works in royal college of physicians who for those that don't know are the main doctors aka shills out propping this nonsense up on the air waves today.

Apparently they are all going round today smelling their own farts they are so smug about this

There are no Saints in any profession ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Deep Six wrote: »
    They still can't purchase alcohol until they are 18. This legislation is in the same category of mind numbing ****wittery as the off licence opening hours - the only people that get punished are tax paying working adults.

Exactly, if the off license hours had done what they're supposed to do then we wouldn't need this new bull from the government

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I don't drink and am happy to see the min pricing coming in. It means less of my tax money going towards dealing with law and order issues and medical issues associated with increased national drinking. Whatever way people look at it increased pricing will reduce the amount of alcohol consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Letree wrote: »
    I don't drink and am happy to see the min pricing coming in. It means less of my tax money going towards dealing with law and order issues and medical issues associated with increased national drinking. Whatever way people look at it increased pricing will reduce the amount of alcohol consumed.

In the same way the reduced off-licence trading hours were supposed to?

1. An alcoholic will drink the same amount and forgo any food to do so.
    2. Law and order issues will remain the same. Young people will drink as much and do without other things to "enjoy" themselves.

No decrease in crime or medical issues at all.
    Drinking has not decreased anytime alcohol prices have risen.

You mean like it has everytime prices have been raised in the budgets..... oh wait

1. An alcoholic will drink the same amount and forgo any food to do so.
    2. Law and order issues will remain the same. Young people will drink as much and do without other things to "enjoy" themselves.

No decrease in crime or medical issues at all.
    Drinking has not decreased anytime alcohol prices have risen.

I think it will reduce consumption. Anyway it certainly won't lead to an increase in consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That is a very naive look at it.

lertsnim wrote: »
    That is a very naive look at it.

How so?

I think it will reduce consumption. Anyway it certainly won't lead to an increase in consumption.

It will decrease drinking only for the people who drink socially.
    The people who need to cut down or stop will not no matter the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Would you like to put a bet on it?

Advertisement