Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoya Macro Filter 3piece kit.

Options
  • 03-01-2011 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,

I'm just thinking of buying one of these filter kits, do tide me over until I can get a macro lens.

Does anyone have any opinions on this brand, in regard to quality etc??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

They're not great tbh. I used to have some, and though you can focus in a bit closer, they tend to soften the images, too much IMO.

Better to get a set of macro extension tubes, you will have to Manual focus, but that's always best for macro work anyhow. Or, a reverse ring adapter, those are fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 oog

How do those work?? where is best to get them??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Here's some info on extension tubes:

http://www.neilcreek.com/blog/2007/11/10/about-macro-extension-tubes-p365-nov03/

You can buy ones that have the connections to allow Auto focus, but they are much more expensive. With a little practice and using a tripod however, the cheap ones with no data connection are not hard to use really. Once you get ones with the right mount for your camera you can stick any lens onto them [though the lens needs to have an aperture ring]. Primes work best, combined with a humble 50mm you can pull off some amazing macro shots, again, with practice.

I got mine on ebay for $9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 oog

Thanks, That explains it all very well!

Advertisement