Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts degree

• 03-01-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Im in 6th year at the moment, working away hard but i still dont know where or what i will be doing in september. I intended on doing the humanties degree in st pats and following it up by doing a post grad for primary school teaching. However i dont know if i can study irish at st pats because i do ordinary level atm. Do you need higher level irish for this course for studying irish? Thanks!!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Check on www.qualifax.ie, type in the name of the course in "Course Finder" and then check the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Thanks pal , think im ok now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Nope you don't.. You have to take Irish as part of your inital Arts/Humanities Degree and then I think you do the Online Hibernian course and then your PDGE.. I'm currently looking into this myself but see myself teaching Geography & Economics in a secondary school more.. Best of luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Thanks , best of luck also :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Nope you don't.. You have to take Irish as part of your inital Arts/Humanities Degree and then I think you do the Online Hibernian course and then your PDGE

Not exactly correct, the Hibernia course is one of 5 post graduate courses which qualifies students to work as primary school teachers.
    The PGDE is the equivalent qualification for working as a secondary school teacher.

But back to topic, studying Irish as part of your primary degree is NOT necessary, although it would be beneficial in terms of keeping up your level of fluency. But you do need to have an honour at leaving cert level. In your case however you would either need to repeat leaving cert irish at honours level, or take Irish as part of your Arts degree, and receive a pass in First Year exams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement