Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

William Regal

• 03-01-2011 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

This guy must be approaching retirement by now, its a shame vince won't give him one last push, he hasn't won the wwe title or world title. Shame really. I've always enjoyed his promos and you'd have respect for him being one of the old school wrestlers, very underrated. He's a very good heel and a good face. What do you think? Do you think regal is worth another push or do you think someone else deserves it?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

mulner92 wrote: »
    This guy must be approaching retirement by now, its a shame vince won't give him one last push, he hasn't won the wwe title or world title. Shame really. I've always enjoyed his promos and you'd have respect for him being one of the old school wrestlers, very underrated. He's a very good heel and a good face. What do you think? Do you think regal is worth another push or do you think someone else deserves it?

He messed up big time with his suspension during his last push as King Regal, he was going great with that Gimmick and seemed to be getting the push you above describe i.e a deserved reward for his years and ability. Now with the youth movement in full swing i dunno will he get another such chance but he should be used more imo, think a feud with Danielson woulda had potential and woulda done Bryan's usual job of having a great wrestling opener for a WWE PPV no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

Few can work up a crowd as much as regal, especially when he was king of the ring. I suppose being one of the wrestlers from the attitude era you'd always have an interest in him. I do think he's a lot more charismatic than cena/batista combined and it sickens me to see them get push after push.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

A great shame that Regal screwed up his king of the ring push, but I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see him get a short world title run.

I think he would make a great manager when he does eventually retire from actively wrestling.

Agreed. I remember regal saying in an interview (around benoit's death) that he'll still be with the wwe using a microphone, I think they should give him another push, i don't think vince realises his potential, he could be the most hated heel in wwe history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

He's a very solid mat-worker but has barely any heat (for or against) with the fans. He's too slow a wrestler for my liking. Although I did see him speed up a bit over the last few years, I'm not interested in him.

Maybe it's that the WCW and WWE machine never really got behind him, but he falls into the "Dean Malenko boring" column for me.

Real shame the Pharmacy scandal hit just weeks into his post-KOTR push. I would like at least 1 PPV match with Bryan in a pass-the-torch situation. It'd be lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

he'd be great in TNA as leader of The British Invasion, with their feud with Fortune/Immortal just begining he'd cut some great promos feuding with Flair/Bischoff, possibly Jarrett if he every gives up the MMA thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He is a tremendous man.

Considering how ill he was its a miracle he is competing at all.

He had a nice bout with DH Smith on superstars this week. Very mat based match but I really enjoyed it. I dig the way he swish's his hair around.

One of my favourite matches was Him and Benoit on Velocity, I remember watching it and loving every minute of it. I have never watched it again though as it might not live up to my memories!

If Regal was in better shape he would be high on the card. He can't hit the weights and it really shows in his "look" these days. But he has really utilised the mat based work as his cardio probably isn't the best either. Regal knows more about putting a match together than 99% of wrestlers so he has found a way to get through his problems.

Lance Storm recently said about Miz as world Champ that- the world champ should be a guy a fan wouldn't like to get in a fight with. But nobody would be afraid to fight Miz. It is a great credit to Regal that despite his problems he still has the aura of a Guy you wouldn't want to mess with and a guy who could rip your arm off! He still performs that well in the ring.

He will probably end up on Commentary or as a GM when he does retire. If WWE ever brought managers back he would be fantastic at that too.

I think it is too late for another push though.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

I remember him fighting Finlay in the point a few years ago. I think it was one of the most fun matches I've ever seen, live, on tv, or ppv. The two played to the crowd and off each other amazing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Regal-Benoit at the Brian Pillman Memorial is one of the greatest matches in North American wrestling. A shame it happened on such a small show. Regal should have been much more, a lot of it is his own fault that he failed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Regal-Benoit at the Brian Pillman Memorial is one of the greatest matches in North American wrestling. A shame it happened on such a small show. Regal should have been much more, a lot of it is his own fault that he failed.
    On the Regal-Benoit note, a good match was Regal v Benoit at No Mercy '06. Regal had been embarrassed throughout the night, so I was expecting a squash of sorts, but I thought it was a great match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

The sooner they replace Lawler with Regal on commentary the better. Or give him a GM role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 reynolsg87

I reckon he'll be a road agent within the next two years, working alongside other great mat technicians such as Malenko and Arn Anderson (who both, incidentally, never quite got the full push they may have deserved!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Regal as laptop gm!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

His match with Bryan was great for the time it got on raw a few weeks back, Plus he trained the American Dragon into one of the greatest wrestlers in the world.

A friend gave me a loan of his biography. The man deserves a lot of credit for coming back from the brink, he comes across as an honest, likeable lad. When i started watching wwf( as i like to call it) in the attitude era he was one of my favourite wrestlers, thought the goodwill ambassador and commisioner roles suited him, wish he could get one last push and not mess it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Did he not announce his retirement in England recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Regal is f*cking amazing in just about every aspect of pro wrestling. Possible the greatest under use of an all-round talent I can ever recall. The guy has it all.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 reynolsg87

No, he didn't retire so much as say that he thinks he won't be able to keep up in the ring with top guys like Danielson soon enough, and that will be the time to walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 FHTHEVOB

Regal has been amazing during his WWE tenure. If your asking does he deserve one last push? Maybe but when you consider the schedule that these guys work he may not want that and might want to ride off into the sunset and be appreciated for the great talent that he was.

Maybe he wants the younger ones to get a push, fair dues if he does. Hate the way he gets beaten by some crap wrestlers when in reality he could destroy them. At least lads like him and kane don't seem as selfish as HHH who only seems to care about himself. He wins titles for fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭MAJR

The thing I hated most about Regal's suspension is how the WWE treated him in comparison to Jeff Hardy. Hardy was suspended that same year for exactly the same thing Regal was - the second violation of the company's drug policy - but Hardy was know to be taking drugs recreationally where as Regal hadn't had a drug problem in years and if anything took a banned substance without realizing it while training to get back into shape. Yet when Jeff Hardy returned he was pushed straight into a high profile feud with Triple H and won the World title but when Regal returned he was involved in some crappy little feud with Jamie Noble over a diva then a quasi-feud with Santino over the Intercontinental Title which he then lost to CM Punk just so Punk could lose it to JBL so JBL could lose in record time at Wrestlemania to Rey Mysterio.

The arguement that Hardy sold merchandice and Regal didn't is bull. Regal didn't need to sell, he just needed to be hated enough to make the fans tune in to see him get his arse kicked. His job as a heel was to make the face more appealing in contrast and to make the fans hate him, merchandising has nothing to do with it.

It was shere hypocrisy by the WWE. They treated Hardy like royalty and Regal like crap. They didn't even let him win the ECW Title, in fact, he didn't win a singles match on ECW for something like eight or nine months!

Regal has never really needed a title to get over. Give him a microphone and a chance to talk as well as wrestle and he can make you hate him or like him. He's never been afraid to make a fool out of himself and has been one of the WWE's best all round entertainers since 2000. It's just a shame he never got the chance to go for the big title in mid-2000's when he was in his prime. He'll go down as one of the greatest never to hold the World Title - just like Jake Robert, Roddy Piper and the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

MAJR wrote: »
    The thing I hated most about Regal's suspension is how the WWE treated him in comparison to Jeff Hardy. Hardy was suspended that same year for exactly the same thing Regal was - the second violation of the company's drug policy - but Hardy was know to be taking drugs recreationally where as Regal hadn't had a drug problem in years and if anything took a banned substance without realizing it while training to get back into shape. Yet when Jeff Hardy returned he was pushed straight into a high profile feud with Triple H and won the World title but when Regal returned he was involved in some crappy little feud with Jamie Noble over a diva then a quasi-feud with Santino over the Intercontinental Title which he then lost to CM Punk just so Punk could lose it to JBL so JBL could lose in record time at Wrestlemania to Rey Mysterio.

The arguement that Hardy sold merchandice and Regal didn't is bull. Regal didn't need to sell, he just needed to be hated enough to make the fans tune in to see him get his arse kicked. His job as a heel was to make the face more appealing in contrast and to make the fans hate him, merchandising has nothing to do with it.

It was shere hypocrisy by the WWE. They treated Hardy like royalty and Regal like crap. They didn't even let him win the ECW Title, in fact, he didn't win a singles match on ECW for something like eight or nine months!

Regal has never really needed a title to get over. Give him a microphone and a chance to talk as well as wrestle and he can make you hate him or like him. He's never been afraid to make a fool out of himself and has been one of the WWE's best all round entertainers since 2000. It's just a shame he never got the chance to go for the big title in mid-2000's when he was in his prime. He'll go down as one of the greatest never to hold the World Title - just like Jake Robert, Roddy Piper and the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase.

Regal has serious heart problems. WWE dont want him to die like Eddy.

drayme wrote: »
    Regal has serious heart problems. WWE dont want him to die like Eddy.

I know Regal has heart problems but really I dont think it had anything to do with the WWE's decision not to give him a second chance in the main event. He could have been a JBL type champion and only wrestle on PPV's and still be hated, and that would have given him a less stress full schedule than wrestling every week in the mid-card (often lower-mid-card) and would have worked all the same. Considering he's still here with us now and has wrestled on a weekly basis since that suspension ended I dont think it was much of a danger that his heart was going to give up. He could have become the biggest heel in the company if the angle had been handled right but instead it was "sorry Regal, one chance is all your going to get."

MAJR wrote: »
    I know Regal has heart problems but really I dont think it had anything to do with the WWE's decision not to give him a second chance in the main event. He could have been a JBL type champion and only wrestle on PPV's and still be hated, and that would have given him a less stress full schedule than wrestling every week in the mid-card (often lower-mid-card) and would have worked all the same. Considering he's still here with us now and has wrestled on a weekly basis since that suspension ended I dont think it was much of a danger that his heart was going to give up. He could have become the biggest heel in the company if the angle had been handled right but instead it was "sorry Regal, one chance is all your going to get."

Vince has never liked Regal's wrestling it isnt WWE bump and feed style (read Jericho's book for a long explanation about the WWE style). It is my understand HHH was the person behind giving Regal that push.

Yeah. I read somewhere that Vince likes Regal as an on screen personality but never likes his looks or his wrestling style, and if the boss doesn't like that then your not going to get a shot at the big titles - but it does explian why he was a Commishioner and GM a few times.

Still, it dissapoints me because Regal's about a close to a total package as a wrestler as England will ever get and he's never been given that one last push to get him to the main event despite possessing all the skills needed to be successful in that bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I don't know if he's near retirement, I used to watch him as Lord Regal in WCW, I remember a great match on Nitro in '96 or thereabouts where he faced Dean Malenko and showed his real technical skill. I think in the WWF you can go either two ways - you can either be remembered as a champion or remembered as a gimmick - and maybe Regal, or Vince or both, felt that Regal would be treated better as a gimmick.

If the British Bulldog wasn't so addicted to steroids I could imagine they'd of made a great tag team partnership and maybe that was something that could have given Regal his Gold - the week before No Way Out 2000 on Raw both Regal and Bulldog had a great match against Jericho and Chyna

However, at 42 he's relatively young enough to continue in some capacity for a few years - DDP, Kevin Nash, Ric Flair, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Road Warrior Animal, The Undertaker - all wrestlers at least a decade older then Regal who continued to wrestle (most in WWE at somestage in their 50s) and most of whom still do

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Regal would have been a good addition to WM27, he only got a very small piece in a video backstage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Vince likes Regal, everyone backstage likes Regal. I'd say he'll get one last push before he retires. Great old school wrestler and everyone should find his match with Benoit from the BPM show, very few matches can touch it.

Skyrim wrote: »
    Regal would have been a good addition to WM27, he only got a very small piece in a video backstage.

Why?

He has been wrestling for months and the last time he was on Raw he was looking old and broken down. I dont think he will get a farewell either. Personally I dont think you will see him wrestle again he is being transited to announcing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement