Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please.

Options
  • 03-01-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

On a recent trip to the US I bought a Garmin 1100 Nuvi, I think they may be exclusive to Walmart, The unit has only US maps installed and I would like to use it this side of the atlantic.
    The instructions says that I need to buy a micro SD card with City Navigator Europe NT.
    Is it as simple as this? and where would be the cheapest place to buy the SD card?

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Interesting one. If you go to buy a map on Garmins site it only lets you select Nuvi 1200 upwards . Probably bets to take a look around the support pages or fails that contact Garmin Directly. All the regions are listed here

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

https://buy.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/search.htm?search_key=1100

The 1100 seems to be part of the 1200,1300,1400,1600 series so if I select 1200map,(I know I might be taking a chance) is it just a matter of plugging in the card and away I go? I don't expect any guarantees that a 1200 map will work with my 1100, all I want to know is there any pit falls after inserting a sd card?
    Also are there any reasons not to buy maps from a third party, like the ones advertised on ebay.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As the device is a Garmin I would presume a map for the same range would work fine. I would recommend buying direct from Garmin, you would have a better chance of exchange if it does not work.

I ordered City Navigator Europe NT UK & Ireland Yesterday on SD card from Garmin, it'll take a few days to arrive. I used Nuvi 1200 instead of 1100 to order online.
    I'll update my progress, it may help somebody.

The SD card arrived from Garmin, plugged it in, and everything worked fine. Thanks again Koolkid for your advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement