Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is facebook worth the time?

• 03-01-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

I have been putting off this for as long as possible, although I always guessed I would cave in the end.

The free time I have to date goes on boards & a few other sites, skype, twitter (just to follow news etc) etc. So adding another thing to the mix seems like a bad idea. But to-day I have found out that yet another friend is on facebook - and to be honest I feel left out now :(

So is it worth the time?

Is it? 22 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Not really if you have msn. Its a pain in the ass when you meet people on a night out and they start asking your surname so they can go search for you on FB. I usually tell them i dont have an account. Its too stalker-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

It can be handy for quick communication if you have no credit or are travelling or something but other than that it just annoys me. Doesn't stop me being on it constantly though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

In b4 "Facebook is shít"... its not, you just gotta weed out the muppets and tweak your privacy settings and its a great way to stay in contact with friends and family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Kiera wrote: »
    Not really if you have msn. Its a pain in the ass when you meet people on a night out and they start asking your surname so they can go search for you on FB. I usually tell them i dont have an account. Its too stalker-ish.

pah, only amatures need surnames.

Who'd wanna stalk you, honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

FearDark wrote: »
    Who'd wanna stalk you, honestly.

Stalkers obviously ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Its good for a laugh and seeing embarrassing photos from the night before but it can suck too when people join every group under the sun and post every little thing they do in the day...
    10:01 - goin for a dump
    10:04 - Ahh - no toilet roll :(
    10:07 - Waste of a good t-shirt.

Also, the facebook chat thing sucks ass... never works properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you've outside interests, ie hobbies, sporting activities etc it can be brilliant for staying in the information loop - that to me is its worth.

Sure you get old friends hooking up, but you don't have to accept their requests.

Re. photos etc, make your photos private and only post photos you'd be comfortable showing to your mother anyway!.

In short, I love facebook and would be lost without it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Facebook can be a useful communication tool, but don't feel left out. Some people view Facebook as a necessity to organize their lives (as sad as that sounds). If you are getting on fine without it then I'd suggest leaving it alone.

It is true that people add too many "muppets" and people to whom they bare no relevance, but there are a lot more annoying things relating to Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

It is worth it! I use facebook to keep in touch more than my mobile now. Even after meeting guys on a night out it has become normal to ask for their facebook rather than their phone-number!!! :eek:

However, make sure as mentioned above that you tweak your privacy settings and don't add muppets, you'll be fine! :D

• Advertisement

Ugh, one of my biggest peeves about Facebook is people taking photographs of you and putting them on their page and tagging you in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

kerryman12 wrote: »
    The free time I have to date goes on boards

wouldnt it be worth talking to people you know rather than people you dont?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

1 thing i hate about facebook ....

People added absolutely everyone to have "more friends" :rolleyes:

Its like I briefly meet one of my friends friends, so they add me :rolleyes: But the crazy thing is at the same time if you see someone who only has 30 friends people think they are loners. Even tho they might have just not of bought into the whole facebook craze.

Its a mad world :P

Dont allow yourself to be tagged EVER.
    There is an [x] button beside peoples post so you can ignore all their posts if they are serial posters, for eg. "Im eating a cheese sandwich, mmm" and "My dog is so funny lolol roflmao"
    Always have chat set to off.
    Dont add muppets as friends.
    Dont add work collegues.
    Dont add ex'es.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

i admin a page of a voluntary organisation and for that purpose its very good, it can link people together , promote events , raise awareness etc. There are some interesting pages and groups, if you have the time to look around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's hard for me to like facebook it really is.

it's so annoying when someone comes up to you in person and goes "omg you didn't reply to this funny thing i posted on facebook why not?" me: "because it's not funny seen it a million times it's old news". "why haven't you accepted my friend request?" me: "cause i know you from school, haven't seen you in 10 years and you were an absolute prick now and still are now, why would i want to be friends?"

also the fact that before i get to recover from a night out, there's ****ing tagged photos, what's everyone's obcession with putting up photos literally the minute you get in the door from a night out.

also people put a scary amount of information up on facebook, i can't wait until it comes back to bite them in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

There is an [x] button beside peoples post so you can ignore all their posts if they are serial posters, for eg. "Im eating a cheese sandwich, mmm" and "My dog is so funny lolol roflmao"
    Dont add work collegues.
    Dont add ex'es.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

it has its pro & cons, but I find that its starting to bug me a bit, I don't login as much as my friends, so I end up missing the odd night/party because it has replaced text messaging & msn for most of my friends. they just put the word out on FB & assume that everyone has time to read every piece of info put up there.

But as mentioned its quite good to keep in touch with family if they live any distance away, and good fun to share photographs etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

kerryman12 wrote: »
    I have been putting off this for as long as possible, although I always guessed I would cave in the end.

The free time I have to date goes on boards & a few other sites, skype, twitter (just to follow news etc) etc. So adding another thing to the mix seems like a bad idea. But to-day I have found out that yet another friend is on facebook - and to be honest I feel left out now :(

So is it worth the time?

dont bother mate. i held out for many years and signed up to keep in contact with friends abroad. then all of a sudden people from home started adding me, the kind of people you dont really know but just say hi to lol
    its pure stupid and a waste of time imo.

(im off to logon)

There's a great little add-on with Facebook on Chrome, called FB Purity, where it filters your newsfeed to block out things such as likes, friends adding new friends, applications. Think my record so far was 16 applications and 16 likes/friends and so on being blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

So what's your name on face book? :p

I don't spend much time on it, check a few updates and keep in touch with people who have taken off around the world. I think it's handy.

Dont add work collegues.
    Dont add ex'es.

+1.

I've made lots of friends at Judo competitions and have kept touch via FB. Its certainly made my Judo world much smaller & more informative.

Pfft facebook, :rolleyes: Myspace is where all the action hapens..

KeithM89 wrote: »
    pfft everyone knows it's now called my[______] get with the times bauer.

pfft everyone knows it's now called my[______] get with the times bauer.
    Haha your right! 'Myblank' - what tool though that would be a good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I use it to play Poker primarily. The friends come second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Ugh, one of my biggest peeves about Facebook is people taking photographs of you and putting them on their page and tagging you in them.

+1 Also people putting up photos of you in the first place without asking permission. I'm on Facebook but I rarely use it for anything more than keeping in touch with a few friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not really. If it means catching up with friends its fine. I have account totally private. Very few people can view page. Only my friends can see it. I never liked that tagging photos thing. I have it disallowed on my account settings. Its all about carbon footprint! Best to cover your tracks that photos cannot be found online by unsuspecting people. I agree never add an ex no matter how friendly you are with them or not. Ex's are in the past and should stay there. I've my account set up that you couldn't find me online anymore. I've a bit of trust issues so only trust so many to access my account. I'm very particular about anything on my fb page.
    I spend time on it chatting to friends and checking updates but don't spent too much time on it otherwise. I don't check it everyday like. Think you could only spend so much time on it and then get sick of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't have a Facebook account. I don't see the need for it.

If someone I know wants to contact me, they phone / Skype or email me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's an invaluable creeping tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's an invaluable creeping tool.
    Not as good as bebo was, back in the day.

You need an account to search for someone on facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The day I sign up for Facebook is the day I know I'm suffering from dementia!

It's all a load of bollix, go out and make 'real' friends ffs!

Btw if I do ever sign up my updates will be worth getting, "Just woke up, off now for a big 'Eartha Kitt', oh yes!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I use it to keep in contact with people in other countries. I rarely comment or talk to mates i see on a weekly basis on it. I hate it as a social tool between mates as sometimes i get messages on a Saturday afternoon around 4pm for example asking me am i going out tonight. Which is down right idiotic considering they can see from the new stupid recent acitivity thing i haven't been online in a few days. Just send a bleedin text or call me. Plenty of ways to do it free if you've no credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

wouldnt it be worth talking to people you know rather than people you dont?

not always no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

I think the best thing about FB is no doubt staying in touch with family & 'real' friends so my advice is to stick with skype/msn if you have all you need on there.

If anything I think it's really dangerous having your family connected with you on Facebook. I'm very wary about what is said on my page, as my mother can see it!

If anything I think it's really dangerous having your family connected with you on Facebook. I'm very wary about what is said on my page, as my mother can see it!

Yeah, I've told my family that I am not adding any family on FB :P
    I don't have anything dodgy on it, but still - it's my own space.

Yeah adding family can be very dodgy - i know a girl that got fraped on a night out be a very close friend of hers and he put 'Just found out im 4 months pregnant' - all her family were on facebook and saw it. Apprently lead to a lot of big arguments and she never spoke to him again...

KeithM89 wrote: »

Myspace is full of marketing crap and btw they also have restrictions on how much access diff regions of the world have to it.

• Advertisement

francie81 wrote: »
    Myspace is full of marketing crap and btw they also have restrictions on how much access diff regions of the world have to it.
    wow you didn't get the irony?

also facebook have parts of their site that are region locked. check out facebook places.

Facebook might be a big thing now but that will change in the years to come. It will see the same faith as bebo me thinks! Skype is better I suppose. I'm not mad about MSN got rid of it a load of tosh if you ask me. I think facebook is meant to be a way to keep in touch with friends rather than anything else. Its probably easier than trying to text a load of friends though when it comes to arrange things.

Get two accounts!.

I've one for family and one almost exclusively for Judo & MMA stuff.

wow you didn't get the irony?

also facebook have parts of their site that are region locked. check out facebook places.

Am only going on experience haven't went as far with facebook to know the bases of your evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

You can add family members or whoever you want to a list of people that can't see your posts or status updates or even pictures.

Just do that friends only thing and in the except part add the people you don't want to see what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

they start asking your surname so they can go search for you on FB. I usually tell them i dont have an account. Its too stalker-ish.

That's just so they can check and see if you're a minger when they're sober.

Truth.

You can add family members or whoever you want to a list of people that can't see your posts or status updates or even pictures.

Just do that friends only thing and in the except part add the people you don't want to see what you say.

Ya I agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

Get two accounts!.

I've one for family and one almost exclusively for Judo & MMA stuff.
    Exactly, I have an "good" account for family, exes, school friends and work people, and a real account for people I actually talk to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I deleted mine a few years ago, I have a load of sisters and the amount of crap they put up was embarrassing, old photo's etc.

It's evil, I tells ya, pure evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

beanie. wrote: »
    Exactly, I have an "good" account for family, exes, school friends and work people, and a real account for people I actually talk to.

thats a pretty good idea, if I was bothered I would do that. but on the verge of deleting my account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement