Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chillywillys Starting Strength

Options
  • 03-01-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

It's time for me to start Starting Strength, I love the simplicity of the program and the linear progress one can achieve. Anyway,

Weight: 10st 10
    Height: 5ft 11 inches

Goals:

- To reach 12 1/2 stone in weight
    - To improve my over all fitness
    - To get over the 100kg mark in squats/deadlifts and my body weight in bench(for now:))

Im also going to be increasing my food intake a lot to reach my goal weight.

Any critique, suggestions, motivation etc is very welcome :)

I have started with the "Practical Programming Novice Program". I just finished my first workout today:

Squat

20x1x5
    25x1x5
    30x1x3
    40x1x2
    45x3x5

Bench

20x2x5
    25x1x5
    30x1x3
    35x1x5
    40x3x5

Chins

3 to fail:

8/5/3

First session went fine. I was surprised I didn't do more chins but I have to start somewhere and Im looking forward to progressing!

I may get some body pictures up to follow my progress and hopefully see me grow :D

Heres to a positive New Year and hope we all reach our goals, in fitness and life!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Wednesday:

Squat

20x2x5
    30x1x5
    40x1x3
    45x1x2
    50x3x5

Overhead Press

10x2x5
    15x1x5
    20x1x3
    22.5x1x5
    25x3x5

Deadlift

20x2x5
    30x1x5
    30x1x3
    40x1x2
    50x1x5

My legs were still killing me from the last session(in that good way!) but that is to be expected. I found the working sets on the squat tough and I could have gone deeper on them. I definitely have to go deeper on the squats.

The press was fine, no problem there. I used a 10kg and 15kg plate for the warm ups as i didn't want to get ahead off myself starting off with the bar.

The deadlifts were ok. I was looking forward to doing them as Ive never really done them before, only a couple of practice rounds. Im going to keep on working on my form. The next session I'll move to 60kg to be ahead of the squat and so the 20kg plates lift it off the ground, which will make it more tolerable hopefully. If anyone has tips or any good videos on DL's id appreciate it!

Got a bit of the wobbly legs now but Im looking forward to fridays session! Now for tuna and milk nyom nyom nyom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Hey man,

if you find your working sets on your squat tough maybe drop down the weight until you are comfortable with your form. You add a good 30 kilos a month on your squat with this program so no rush in lifting very heavy at the start!

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    Hey man,

if you find your working sets on your squat tough maybe drop down the weight until you are comfortable with your form. You add a good 30 kilos a month on your squat with this program so no rush in lifting very heavy at the start!

Hey, thanks for the comment! Ye you could be right there, I found at 45kg I was getting good and deep and felt my form was good. Would you recommend keeping it at 45kg for a week or so or dropping it lower than that and building up each session?

Friday

Squat

20x2x5
    22.5x1x5
    25x1x3
    35x1x2
    40x3x5

Bench

20x2x5
    25x1x5
    35x1x3
    40x1x5
    45x3x5

Pull Ups

3 to fail:

7/3/1

I decided to drop down the weight on the squats because I felt I wasn't gettin deep enough with 50kg on Wednesday. 40 kg felt good, I got nice and deep. It was a challenge but they felt nice. I think Im going to go up 2.5kg each session and see how I go.

Bench press was fine, no problem there.

I was actually suprised I got 7 proper pull ups from my first set :D usually found them fairly hard. Im definetly looking forward to when I can do a nice 15 in a set. The last set just looked like I was hangin off the bar :P But I got 1 out of it and failed half way through the 2nd rep!!

Im thinking I might incorporate Dips and Planks/side bridges into my workout too.

Good man, yeah moving up 2.5kg on the squats will be fine for you.

Dips and Prone bridges are good, weighted push ups also and maybe some barbell rows? im just writing down what I do in Stronglifts!

• Advertisement

Good man, yeah moving up 2.5kg on the squats will be fine for you.

Dips and Prone bridges are good, weighted push ups also and maybe some barbell rows? im just writing down what I do in Stronglifts!

Ye I didn't want to get ahead of myself on the squats!! I was reading your log and you've done great progress on the squats so hopefully i'll catch up with you at some stage :D Id say id like the weighted push ups, what kind of sets do you do? 3 to fail or 5x5?

Yeah start off with 3 sets to failure, once you can get 15 on the first set start doing 3X5 adding 1.25kg each workout on to your back. I had to pull back on squats over thre xmas, hopefully I can get up to 1X5 BW which will be about 130kg, although havent weighed myself since before Xmas!

Monday

Squat

20x2x5
    25x1x5
    35x1x3
    40x1x2
    42.5x3x5

Overhead Press

10x2x5
    15x1x5
    20x1x3
    25x1x2
    27.5x3x5

Chins

3 to fail:

8/5/3

Plank

3 sets

2x 1 minute
    1x 40 secs

Squat was good. Felt like my strongest yet.

No problem on the Press really.

I was a bit disappointed I got the same as last time with the chin ups, but it could have something to with doing the overhead press just before it.

The plank was tough! The 1st set was bearable, the 2nd I felt like giving up after 30 secs but pushed myself.....and the 3rd set I failed at 40 seconds!

Weight

11 stone

up from 10st 10 last week :)

Wednesday:

Squat

20x2x5
    25x1x5
    35x1x3
    40x1x2
    45x3x5

Bench Press

20x2x5
    25x1x5
    35x1x3
    45x1x2
    47.5x3x5

Deadlift

20x2x5
    30x1x5
    40x1x3
    50x1x2
    60x1x5

Squats and bench was fine.

Deadlift was shocking.....really bad. My heads all over the place today. Only room to improve though.

Monday

Squat

20x2x5
    25x1x5
    35x1x3
    45x1x2
    50x3x5

Bench Press

20x2x5
    25x1x5
    35x1x3
    45x1x5
    50x3x5

Chins

3 to fail:

10/8/6

Weight

11 stone/ 69 kilos

I missed Fridays session, I found out im gonna be a daddy recently so that threw me off a bit.....to say the least :eek:

Anyway, the squats were ok.....50 kg was definitely more manageable than the last time I tried it!

Bench press was ok too.

Im happy with the chin ups, definitely progressed on them this time around. :)

• Advertisement

I missed Fridays session, I found out im gonna be a daddy recently so that threw me off a bit.....to say the least :eek:

Sure thats a good excuse as any! congrats!

Sure thats a good excuse as any! congrats!

Cheers mrpink :D

Advertisement