Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setup advice (modem + router)?

Options
  • 03-01-2011 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    At the moment I have a basic Netgear 834g 802.11b/g ADSL modem/router.

I have some 802.11n devices (but some not 5GHz capable) so I was thinking of getting a simultaneous dual-band router (maybe Linksys E3000). I will still need to keep the Netgear operating as a modem because I cant find any decent dual-radio ADSL modem/routers.

How would that setup work, is it fairly straightforward? I presume I just turn off DHCP on the Netgear, and connect the new router to it via LAN cable ?

And another question - in theory could I still use the Netgear as wireless access point for old 802.11g devices? (because I would like to keep the 2.4GHz channel on the new router operating at 802.11n speeds only).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

How would that setup work, is it fairly straightforward? I presume I just turn off DHCP on the Netgear, and connect the new router to it via LAN cable ?
    There are two ways of doing this, either you can disable the DHCP server on the Linksys (not the Netgear as it still needs to tell the network its the gateway) and then connect the two together via LAN ports. Or you can put the Netger into bridge mode (assuming it supports this, which it should) and connect the WAN of the Linksys to a LAN of the Netgear.

And another question - in theory could I still use the Netgear as wireless access point for old 802.11g devices? (because I would like to keep the 2.4GHz channel on the new router operating at 802.11n speeds only).

Normally I'd go with the latter option, but if you want it set up this way then you need to go with the former and have a different SSID (and obviously wireless channel) on the Netgear that you just connect G only devices to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Thanks lads.:)

Advertisement