Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car washes operating during water shortages ?

Options
  • 03-01-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

I have been very surprized to see car washes operating during the current water shortages, and am wondering why the local authorities and government generally don't do anything to stop this waste of water until the situation improves.

Anyone agree ?

I was passing one today, and there was a big queue of SUV's and high end cars queing up to be washed, and it just seemed a very selfish thing to be doing when people around the city are doing without water for drinking and washing themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

mikedublin wrote: »
    I have been very surprized to see car washes operating during the current water shortages, and am wondering why the local authorities and government generally don't do anything to stop this waste of water until the situation improves.

Anyone agree ?

I was passing one today, and there was a big queue of SUV's and high end cars queing up to be washed, and it just seemed a very selfish thing to be doing when people around the city are doing without water for drinking and washing themselves.

Not washing your car isnt going to mean there is more water to allocate to other areas of the city. Broken pipes and leaks mean there are water shortages not wealthy people washing their high end SUVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

May be taking water from a nearby river??? Some garages do this.

They should not be taking it from the mains - if so it is very wrong (+ illegal if a hose pipe ban has been introduced)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Many car washes recycle the water they use. It's not so much the clean water as the rubbing (ooh er missus) and detergent that cleans.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If they were relying on the mains they probably wouln't have been able to operate, what with frequent cuts and low pressure, so I'd say it would have been from another source/recycled as said.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

Fair points you are all making there.

I guess I just thought it was odd when so many people are trying to conserve water to help others, that they would be going along as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I did see a woman washing her car today in her driveway ,as I cycled past I stared and made sure she saw me,the bloody cheek of her :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Grimes wrote: »
    Not washing your car isnt going to mean there is more water to allocate to other areas of the city. Broken pipes and leaks mean there are water shortages not wealthy people washing their high end SUVs.
    Localised issues are only one part of the problem. The water loss means that Dublin is (or was) consuming more treated drinking water than it could produce. Leaks and running taps were a large part of this but every extra litre used in less affected areas makes the problem worse.

Advertisement