Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Christmas and New Year competitons??

Options
  • 03-01-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Now that the day job is looming in the morn, I was just thinking about the Xmas competitions in the papers. My opinion is that some of them were just not worth the effort! Particularly the Irish times 100 questions done over the week, and the Irish Independent 100 sports questions on Christmas Eve. That one had a prize of 150 euro in Boylesports vouchers. While I do like my sports, and my quizzes, I do not go betting.... and I feel that this was a poor enough prize given the effort involved. (Yea, I know there is a recession). However, there were some great quizzes and puzzlers offering enough enjoyment without melting the brain cells. So here's to some of us winning at least something small for our efforts. And the husband recycled some of my saved newspapers this morning... so that finished my efforts to win.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Alidee wrote: »
    Now that the day job is looming in the morn, I was just thinking about the Xmas competitions in the papers. My opinion is that some of them were just not worth the effort! Particularly the Irish times 100 questions done over the week, and the Irish Independent 100 sports questions on Christmas Eve. That one had a prize of 150 euro in Boylesports vouchers. While I do like my sports, and my quizzes, I do not go betting.... and I feel that this was a poor enough prize given the effort involved. (Yea, I know there is a recession). However, there were some great quizzes and puzzlers offering enough enjoyment without melting the brain cells. So here's to some of us winning at least something small for our efforts. And the husband recycled some of my saved newspapers this morning... so that finished my efforts to win.

I agree that there's a lot of effort needed for some of them, I didn't bother with the Irish Times 100 questions or the Irish Independent 100 sports questions, certainly the Irish Times chequered flag crosswords prizes have lessened in value over the years, when I won it some years ago the first prize was a trip for four people to the Monaco grand prix and now it's a trip for two to Old Trafford, but having said that I still enjoy doing them for a bit of fun although hardly a year goes by without the chequered flag crossword having errors in the clues or grid which make it very frustrating to complete.

Advertisement