Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pic for C&C

• 03-01-2011 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, Happy New Year all! As part of my New Year decisions and Things to Do in 2011, I've decided I want to take better photos. I'm doing a one-a-day project (on pix.ie, here), but today I took one that I thought was interesting - or is it?

D39A1FFC8C894B8FB59887C0D9069DB8-0000334828-0002107167-00800L-6171BF85528F4C739C67FFF874893F1A.jpg

Might I be thinking that because it's unusual it's interesting? Would love some feedback / criticism! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've seen stuff like this hung in galleries, but ... doesn't make it interesting. Not that it isn't mind, it's just more a humorous image than a good photo though, if you get me? It seems a little crooked too, or maybe that's my eyes from all the binging over the holidays :D

I think it would have been better with a random person walking by looking at the non-existent door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

If you don't mind my saying so, it isn't very attention grabbing or emotionally engaging. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

kelly1 wrote: »
    If you don't mind my saying so, it isn't very attention grabbing or emotionally engaging. Sorry.

Don't mind at all - and no need to say sorry! It's criticism I want!

I want to see if it's a good photo, a good photo idea that needs help, or if it should be a photo at all! BTW is it a bit cheeky to ask for C&C once a week or so?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i like it; one thing i'd comment on is that the horizontal near the bottom of the frame is almost horizontal; might be worth a minor rotation, it's the sort of very minor issue which the eye can pick up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭NooSixty

For me personally I would have included more wall and less ground. But that is my personal opinion and how I would take the shot.

What it really comes down to is whether you like the photo or not? If you do then it doesn't matter if someone else doesn't like it. Photography should be bout taking the photos YOU want to take, not what you think other people want to see.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but the point of C&C is to get other's opinions. It can be helpful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I don't like the water stains on the kerb and a quick sweep (when dry) of the road edge wouldn't go amiss. Also I think the road straightened to the eye would be better than having the door straight in the pic and the crop ratio looks peculiar to the content too.

Prenderb wrote: »

I want to see if it's a good photo, a good photo idea that needs help, or if it should be a photo at all!

Yeah, but the point of C&C is to get other's opinions. It can be helpful.

Yes and as Prenderb has specifically asked if this is a good photo etc how am I not providing C&C??

Never said you weren't. It's the whole, if you like it, it doesn't matter what others think. That only gets you so far, but if you ever plan to show off your work it does matter what others think.

hmmmmm for me if you only take photos others like and don't actually like what you take then you are going to end up disliking photography very quickly and that is going to show through in your pics.

They may be visually perfect and appealing to the masses but they will lack that personal touch and passion that makes a truly fantastic photo.

And tbh all that really does matter is that you like your photos. Not everybody is going to like your images whether you exhibit your work or not. At the end of the day photography is about personal preference and if you don't like your images what is the point???

• Advertisement

There doesn't have to be a trade off at all. I'm my own worst critic though, if I hate an image, that others like, it's not going to sway me, it may still end up in the bin. On the other hand, if I love an image of mine, and nobody else seems to, I'll still show it off and post it around no matter. I'll just keep up the positive thinking that they will come around and see it like I do :P

I doubt anyone shoots specifically to suit others, apart from Stock-togs, that must be soul destroying at best unless you make a good few bob. But it doesn't mean you ignore what others have to input. I'd certainly not want to always shoot stuff people hated. I see photography as an art, a way of expression, what's the point in only expressing to yourself?

Anyway, we're off topic now. We could go around in circles for days, I just picked up on you stating that it shouldn't matter what others think of your images. If it didn't, he'd not have asked to begin with I guess.

That was exactly my point photography is an art form and the whole point of art is to express oneself is it not??
    If you are taking pics with the view to please others then it has ceased to be art has it not??

I am not saying it's wrong to ask for people opinions and advice. It is a great way to learn new techniques etc. My point is purely in regards to Prenderb's questioning of whether it is a good pic or not and for me at the very basis of it all if YOU like the pic you have taken then that really is all that matters. How disappointing to look back over your photos in years to come and realise that you have none that you like and have to console yourself with the thought 'But at least others like them'. For me that is the worst thing that could possibly happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

if I love an image of mine, and nobody else seems to, I'll still show it off and post it around no matter.
    I'd certainly not want to always shoot stuff people hated.
    I doubt anyone shoots specifically to suit others

These all seem to contradict each other?

- You'll post a pic you like and show it off because you like it and nobody else does.

- you don't want to shoot photos that others hated.

- You dont' think anyone shoots photos for others to like.

My head hurts....what do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

pete4130 wrote: »

- You'll post a pic you like and show it off because you like it and nobody else does.

- you don't want to( you left out "always" here ) shoot photos that others hated.

- You dont' think anyone shoots photos for others to like. ("specifically" is what he said)

Take a tablet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It requires big balls to show picture of a picture or of existing art. Unless you made art object from your picture.

Take a tablet

they're all in the quotes dude, just have a 2nd look and I'm sure you'll see them, they are right above my interpretations. :rolleyes:

- you don't want to shoot photos that others hated.

- You dont' think anyone shoots photos for others to like.

Oh sorry, did I disagree with someone you love? That second point there doesn't relate to me. I personally couldn't give a fiddlers most times what people think of my stuff ;)

Oh sorry, did I disagree with someone you love?

I am quite capable of expressing my own opinions thanks. Besides he doesn't love me :P

:P AT least you get that I'm joking ;)

I see your point, and I'm sure you see mine. there is no right or wrong when it comes to your own work.

tbh TCO, you're probably one of the most argumentative/destructive posters on here. In a lot of threads your posts your nearly always every 2nd response to someone and frankly, most of the time you aren't really sure what you're saying, what you're point is and contradict yourself multiple times (bar multiple post editing). It gets tiring. See your posts and see for yourself. I'm sorry this is off topic, but from experience, a lot of threads where you go tit for tat go so off topic people lose interest.

I also think such frequent posts goes against the 2011 idea of users dominating threads.

Awaits tit for tat, off topic response per usual.....

• Advertisement

I think if you look at my last 20 posts you'll find exactly what i do here, chip in. Get over yourself, judge away personally, but all you're now doing is trying to stir something out of nothing. Blatant. Nothing in this thread was argumentative until your post right there.

Multiple post editing? Sorry, i don't use a spell checker ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is for C&C of a specific Photo not a place to take shots at each other.

As for the Photo itself it has appeal, but that is because you have found the concept of the original person that painted the "Exit" appeals to you. Most of the work is theirs and this photo records that work. This is important as the original artwork will probably be gone soon but this photo will have a longer life.

The photo itself is generally technically fine as it's well exposed & sharp but for a subject such as this that is not difficult. You have also done a good job in composing the image having to door off to one side and including the gutter to give environmental context. I don't even mind the gutter not being horizontal as for my eye the door being vertical works best and the gutter is uneven and a bit wonky which suits the subject and is a part which you have added to the image. A wonky door in a wonky world (no "a's" in there!)

To use the other persons art and to make your own photo there needs to be a some element that you have added. This would be so the image conveys how that artwork affected you. If I were there then I would have been tempted to set up the camera as stable as possible (a tripod if you had one, or any other technique available) and have waited for a pedestrian to walk by and taken them with a long shutter speed, say 1/4 sec, so they are blurred. If they were psotioned correctly it could appear they have just exited from the imaginary door. This is still possible as you can do so in by adding a figure on another layer and producing a composite image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

NooSixty wrote: »
    For me personally I would have included more wall and less ground. But that is my personal opinion and how I would take the shot.

What it really comes down to is whether you like the photo or not? If you do then it doesn't matter if someone else doesn't like it. Photography should be bout taking the photos YOU want to take, not what you think other people want to see.

I agree fully with what you say. I was unfortunate enough to be ripped apart for my humble efforts of images I liked. It has taken me a long time to come around to this way of thinking where I remember I used to get really worked up about what others thought. I often ask for advice or a tip on how to improve a shot and then off I go and have another go.

If we are talking about hobby and making an effort as the op is to get out there and take photos it does not really matter what anyone else thinks.

Maybe we should ask for an opinion or advice on how we could improve a shot rather than c&c which sometimes can be negative.
    Take a tablet

I am tired taking tablets trying to figure out photography;)

LeoB wrote: »
    I often ask for advice or a tip on how to improve a shot and then off I go and have another go.

If we are talking about hobby and making an effort as the op is to get out there and take photos it does not really matter what anyone else thinks.

Maybe we should ask for an opinion or advice on how we could improve a shot rather than c&c which sometimes can be negative.

I suppose this is what i want, and just used the term c&c to ask for it... the debate is an interesting one though.

I'm looking to see if my images are interesting, or "good" if not "beautiful." People can like images that aren't good, and people can dislike good images. I think what I want to see is what people think of my images when I do throw them up for others to have a look. Ideally someone will say "Wow, that's lovely, can I get a print somehow?" or something....though that's me dreaming. More likely is "you're doing it wrong" and if someone says why, then I can learn!

I suppose this is what i want, and just used the term c&c to ask for it... the debate is an interesting one though.

I'm looking to see if my images are interesting, or "good" if not "beautiful." People can like images that aren't good, and people can dislike good images. I think what I want to see is what people think of my images when I do throw them up for others to have a look. Ideally someone will say "Wow, that's lovely, can I get a print somehow?" or something....though that's me dreaming. More likely is "you're doing it wrong" and if someone says why, then I can learn!

But do YOU like the photos you are taking??? Like you have said not everyone is going to like every single image you take so unless YOU like them what is the point of taking photos??

I am not saying don't go out and shoot photos, far from it, I am simply trying to encourage you to think for yourself! At the end of the day photography is about SELF expression and if you are constantly worrying bout whether someone else would find your photos interesting/good you a never going to take a photo!! Then how are you going to grow and improve?

Post pictures up often as you please for C&C, you won't always like the responses but you will get at least some helpful ones.

The 'I only shoot for me, if I like it stuff the rest' only gets people so far. Simple.

The 'I only shoot for me, if I like it stuff the rest' only gets people so far. Simple.

Do you really think the people like Eugene Richards, Nan Golden, Dorthea Lange etc shoot/shot photos to please other people??

I think not, other people just happen to like their work. Simple.

Without the love they have for their own images (and subjects) we would not have seen/see such moving, passionate and intimate photos.

Tbh TCO I think you have totally missed my point. There is nothing wrong with asking for C&C, as I have said before it is a great way to learn new techniques etc but to question whether the actual image you have taken is 'good' or not is not the best way to approach your photography is it?

At the basis of it all you need to love your images otherwise you will quickly learn to hate taking photos and that is probably the very thing Prenderb wants to avoid.

I don't follow any photographers in particular. It's down to each individual, I only speak for me personally and pass it on, I don't think anything I say should be taken as matter of fact.

I'm speaking very generally, I like to love my images of course. But if you put one up for C&C and ask what people think on it, then you obviously do care, it does matter.

I tried to explain I can go either way about it, sometimes I'll dump images I hate personally, even if others like them ... and keep ones I love, even when others hate them. But those would be specific images. If I'm shooting to show, then yes, I would prefer people to actually like them.

There's no harm in taking in and using other people's input and opinion. Have had to learn to do it myself, when i started out I didn't give a monkey's who liked or loathed my work.

Back to the image in question, as I said earlier I think it would benefit from a random person walking into or out of the image. there's an emptiness to it, the grey area is quite bland and it is merely someone else's humourous artwork on a blank wall that's been captured. It's hard to comment on any technical aspect of it as it could just as well have been shot on auto at any time of day, it's lacking character I would say. If the location interests the OP they could maybe think on going back there and waiting for an unsuspecting randomer to walk into frame. Maybe stick around for a bit, capture a few and see what works best? Give it some life, some grab.

But of course if you like it yourself, then it's a keeper no matter what we say :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe it's an image for 'the simple things' thread.

• Advertisement

maybe it's an image for 'the simple things' thread.

I didn't even know there was such a thread...

There's no harm in taking in and using other people's input and opinion. Have had to learn to do it myself, when i started out I didn't give a monkey's who liked or loathed my work.

Back to the image in question, as I said earlier I think it would benefit from a random person walking into or out of the image. there's an emptiness to it, the grey area is quite bland and it is merely someone else's humourous artwork on a blank wall that's been captured. It's hard to comment on any technical aspect of it as it could just as well have been shot on auto at any time of day, it's lacking character I would say. If the location interests the OP they could maybe think on going back there and waiting for an unsuspecting randomer to walk into frame. Maybe stick around for a bit, capture a few and see what works best? Give it some life, some grab.

But of course if you like it yourself, then it's a keeper no matter what we say :)

When you pick up your camera to take a photo do you do it to capture something you like or to capture something you think other people will like??
    Ultimately, I think, people tend to pick up the camera because they have seen something that has caught THEIR eye.

Yeah sure it is fine to seek advice and input from others, as I have previously said, but if Prenderb was to go back and take the photo exactly the way you or anyone else here suggested, purely because they are unsure of their original image, then he/she has completely lost their individuality when it comes to taking photos.

Prenderb I personally like the photo and to me all it lacks is some post processing. A B&W conversion, some levels and curves and it would really pop. But my that's my opinion and how I see the pic. Someone else, as is evidence in the responses here, will see it differently, so you can't rely on others to tell what is a good image and what is not. Ask away for C&C on how to improve the pic but do not question the actual image you have captured, that should be where your individuality and self expression shine through. One of the MOST important things to learn when it comes to your photography is to have confidence in yourself and your images. At the most basic level you need to pick up your camera and take the images that capture your eye, not go out and take images you think others will like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

tbh TCO, you're probably one of the most argumentative/destructive posters on here. In a lot of threads your posts your nearly always every 2nd response to someone and frankly, most of the time you aren't really sure what you're saying, what you're point is and contradict yourself multiple times (bar multiple post editing). It gets tiring. See your posts and see for yourself. I'm sorry this is off topic, but from experience, a lot of threads where you go tit for tat go so off topic people lose interest.

I also think such frequent posts goes against the 2011 idea of users dominating threads.

Awaits tit for tat, off topic response per usual.....

There is some truth to that, but I as someone who just drops in to look through, it appears lately that people are being over-sensitive to TCO's posts based on previous behaviour, rather than just the post itself. That is, if someone else had made that post, I don't think they'd be a furore at all.

I agree TCO for the most part.
    NooSixty wrote: »

But the whole point of C+C is to see if other people like the photo. See what they think could of done differently, would change, etc. Also, of course, to get a general reception of the photo. It's kind of like Prenderb has come in to the psychologists office and asked to advice, only to get the "What do you think?" response. Introspection and reflection is obviously important, but I'd imagine he is doing that while reading other peoples feedback/criticisms.

Sometimes, the only thing that matters about a photo is whether you like it. Other times, it'd be silly not to consider your audience likes or wishes: advertising, client work, when photography is a living. Photography can be much more than what the photographer likes.

Odds are high that if someone is creating music, writing a book, etc. they have at least thought of the potential audience. That is not to say you cloud the creative process or never think outside the box.

But the whole point of C+C is to see if other people like the photo. See what they think could of done differently, would change, etc. Also, of course, to get a general reception of the photo. It's kind of like Prenderb has come in to the psychologists office and asked to advice, only to get the "What do you think?" response. Introspection and reflection is obviously important, but I'd imagine he is doing that while reading other peoples feedback/criticisms.

Sometimes, the only thing that matters about a photo is whether you like it. Other times, it'd be silly not to consider your audience likes or wishes: advertising, client work, when photography is a living. Photography can be much more than what the photographer likes.

*sigh* You have completely missed my point.

I am not talking bout C&C or whether people should ask for it or not ( I have actually given my opinion more then once on the pic) and we are definitely not talking bout a photo that has been taken for a client/work (that is a whole different kettle of fish), I am purely addressing Prenderb's comments:
    , but today I took one that I thought was interesting - or is it?

Might I be thinking that because it's unusual it's interesting?
    I want to see if it's a good photo, a good photo idea that needs help, or if it should be a photo at all!

And trying to encourage her/him to have confidence in their work at the most basic level.

Noosixty, you seem to be getting frustrated every time someone has a differing opinion to yours on this. Everyone is free to offer some advice, that is all I was doing, offering opinion/advice. You're letting it get to you a bit much I think. The OP will take what they personally want from all responses. There is no right or wrong on the matter.

Procrastinator, I do feel you're bang on. If my posts were made by others they'd be thanked a lot of the time. People need to move on from bitterness, I'm trying at least ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

As part of my New Year decisions and Things to Do in 2011, I've decided I want to take better photos. I'm doing a one-a-day project (on pix.ie, here)

No exactly C+C, but best of luck with that undertaking. It's a big commitment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

{Moderator note}

A gentle reminder of our new charter updates: please refrain from dominating threads and getting stuck on different opinions.

This thread likes C&C about that particular image posted, so back to that it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I like the photo. The exit door is positioned nicely, I would, as someone else mentioned, maybe cut the road a bit. It might look better with more of the wall? That said I'm a particular fan of a minimalist. Also I'd bump up the contrast a bit, it kinda looks a bit flat.

In general pictures of graffiti are hard to pull off unless there's an interesting angle to them (like another poster mentioned, perhaps a person walking by the wall might have added another dimension?), otherwise they tend to look like pictures of graffiti.... if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

The photo is good tech wise (well exposed & sharp), I'd say it's just a little out of context, maybe post two more and show as a set instead.

Advertisement