Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac level 5 Veterinary assistant

• 03-01-2011 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi, I'm considering doing a fetac level 5 veterinary assistant course in Killester college. I'd like to hear from anyone whos done this course - would you recommend it? Are there many job opportunities with the casac cert? I'm looking to get into animal rescue or work in a vet. Any info would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Hi street,

I'm currently doing a level 5 FETAC course in animal care in Limerick, which would be similar to the course in Killester. To be honest, the standard is very basic and really I think you would need to go on and do at least a Level 6 course in this area if you want a job working with animals that pays reasonably well.

I'm hoping to do Level 6 veterinary nursing at St. John's in Cork this year, but it's really hard to get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Hi OP,
    I just completed this course in May in Killester. Its a very intense course but I got through it and enjoyed it and made some great friends. Attendance is seriously important and there is ALOT of assignments, as expected anyway.

The few problems about the college itself are...it does'nt have the facilities to do practical dog grooming like it used to which makes it very hard on the tutor and the students...picture a portable bath, 15 students and atleast 4 dogs and much several tables etc in an average sized classroom!!!

Also the canteen could do with a renovation too but theres a lovely cafe and supervalu across the road.

Anyhow...back to the course...its very hard to find work experience in a veterinary clinic which is very important, you can also work in a pet shop or training or rescue centre but make sure you get searching in April and check everywhere.

The other unfortunate thing is...its very hard to find a job after you complete the course (obviously due to recession) but also, if you only want to be an assistant and not go further into nursing, vets tend to take on work experience people and train (as they are "free") and that prevents you from getting the job. Veterinary is one of Irelands top courses and hundreds apply annually.

St. Johns college in Cork is meant to be really good and have all facilities too. Good luck on making the right decision.
    Luckily i did great and got 5 distinctions, 2 merits and 1 pass. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

If you're hoping to work as a vet nurse, then be aware that there are new laws coming into place now that new vet nurses have to be registered (RVN's), and have to have done a Vet Council accredited degree, of which the only ones right now (as far as i know!! Correct me if wrong) are in St Johns, UCD, or Athlone.

So being honest it would probably be extermely hard to get a job in a vet's with that course. But as you said, it might help if you want to get into rescue work, or maybe grooming/kennels/animal behaviour? I'm not really sure of the details of your course though so others might be better able to answer in that regard!

Yeah, I only did the Killester course to try get work in a rescue centre or something like that. I cannot afford nursing.

Only 3 in my class of 27 got into Vet nursing, 2 in Dundalk and 1 in UCD.
    All the rest, half were just lazy students and didnt work hard and the others wanted different careers.

If you want to be a groomer, you'd still have to train or even dod another course after you complete the Killester one as there is not enough time spent on the practical work and theres no facilities. St. Johns in Cork would be best to do grooming but it's very hard to get in to.

Im finding it impossible to get a job, even voluntary work but thats also due to the fact I dont have a driving license and they are required for many animal jobs.

I can't find a vet assistant job because like I said, the work experience students have that place...what they do is the same as what a vet assistant would be doing (except we'd do a bit more), but they are "free", we are not! So, vets choose them first.

I loved working in the vets for a whole year helping with surgery etc. Its a tough job, it can get as busy as a human hospital and you learn so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

dvet wrote: »
    it might help if you want to get into rescue work, or maybe grooming/kennels/animal behaviour?

There's very few jobs in rescue in Ireland, the majority of rescues/sanctuarys are run entirely by volunteers. Some of the bigger ones like Dogs Trust, DSPCA or ISPCA have positions but they're very difficult to come by.

• Advertisement

Unfortunatley thats very true, thats why i've to look in to other work, grooming, dog walking, pet sitting and Im also an artist and do oil paint pet portraits which I love doing.

Most voluntary places are not easy yo reach as they need land and I dont have a car so im just going with the flow and keeping my eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

boomerang wrote: »
    Hi street,

I'm currently doing a level 5 FETAC course in animal care in Limerick, which would be similar to the course in Killester. To be honest, the standard is very basic and really I think you would need to go on and do at least a Level 6 course in this area if you want a job working with animals that pays reasonably well.

I'm hoping to do Level 6 veterinary nursing at St. John's in Cork this year, but it's really hard to get in!

Thanks boomerang, I came across a fetac level 6 in advanced animal health care in Dun laoghaire which seems similar to the one in St Johns http://www.dlcfe.ie/07VN6.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

street wrote: »
    Thanks boomerang, I came across a fetac level 6 in advanced animal health care in Dun laoghaire which seems similar to the one in St Johns http://www.dlcfe.ie/07VN6.html

Can I just warn you again that unless the course is accredited (or pre-accredited) by the Veterinary Council, you won't legally be able to work as a nurse in Ireland after doing it - even if it is similar to an accredited one. Just a warning as I know one or 2 people who started out what they thought were full nursing degrees, only to find out they weren't accredited. It looks to me like the course you linked isn't accredited as they don't mention it on the page... so if I were you I'd ring them and find out for sure.

Bubs99 wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    I just completed this course in May in Killester. Its a very intense course but I got through it and enjoyed it and made some great friends. Attendance is seriously important and there is ALOT of assignments, as expected anyway.

The few problems about the college itself are...it does'nt have the facilities to do practical dog grooming like it used to which makes it very hard on the tutor and the students...picture a portable bath, 15 students and atleast 4 dogs and much several tables etc in an average sized classroom!!!

Also the canteen could do with a renovation too but theres a lovely cafe and supervalu across the road.

Anyhow...back to the course...its very hard to find work experience in a veterinary clinic which is very important, you can also work in a pet shop or training or rescue centre but make sure you get searching in April and check everywhere.

The other unfortunate thing is...its very hard to find a job after you complete the course (obviously due to recession) but also, if you only want to be an assistant and not go further into nursing, vets tend to take on work experience people and train (as they are "free") and that prevents you from getting the job. Veterinary is one of Irelands top courses and hundreds apply annually.

St. Johns college in Cork is meant to be really good and have all facilities too. Good luck on making the right decision.
    Luckily i did great and got 5 distinctions, 2 merits and 1 pass. :D

Lots of great info there Bubs, thank you. :) Congratulations on your results!

dvet wrote: »
    Can I just warn you again that unless the course is accredited (or pre-accredited) by the Veterinary Council, you won't legally be able to work as a nurse in Ireland after doing it - even if it is similar to an accredited one. Just a warning as I know one or 2 people who started out what they thought were full nursing degrees, only to find out they weren't accredited. It looks to me like the course you linked isn't accredited as they don't mention it on the page... so if I were you I'd ring them and find out for sure.

I'll definitely look into that dvet, many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hi guys

Thanks for all the info on the course. I'm hoping to do it myself too. I want to get into dog grooming I did a course 3 years ago up the north paid over 3 grand for it:eek: but have not done any grooming since as I had a baby.
    Just wondering what are the hours of this course?

Killester hours are pretty much the same as school...9am until 3pm. For practical grooming, you may have to stay until 4.30pm or even 5pm sometimes. Just to let you know...there is no grooming facilities there, i think they are waiting for new extension etc.
    but for all i know, that could be happening this year, its best you ring there and ask first. this course is best for veterinary nursing, you only get a jist of grooming...practical grooming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Id only recommend it as a stepping stone to a vet nursing degree. Jobs are thin on the ground and vets wants nurses with a degree before a cert.

Thanks again guys for the info:)
    I'm goin to go to the open day in Killester and quiz them about this portable bath lark!! I was also lookin into the course in Dun Laoghaire it's the same basically as the one in Killester. Has anyone done this course or can give me any additional info?

Cheers:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Hi street,

Agreed i did that course in Limerick and its very very very basic! In fact i was bored up there but finished it and applied for Cork which i got. Id say having the level 5 on your CV would work well for getting into St Johns.

Good Luck Ziggy23, I hope you find the right course for you.

Another person in one or two of the posts above mentioned that you need a degree to be a nurse, just to let you know...I know that and Im sure Ziggy23 and others know that too.

You get a fetac cert in Killester and its a "stepping stone" to other courses OR go for other animal careers such as dog behaviour, open your own pet shop, open your own kennels or cattery etc.

Like I mentioned, some of my college pals are now studying nursing, others have become qualified dog trainers...theres also a job available in Dogs Trust at this very moment (check the website)...its my dream job!!!
    But I dont have a license and its fairly far away from me.

Good luck to anyone who goes for it and I hope you enjoy college.

Thanks Bubs:)

Ah yea I know its just a cert in veterinary assistant nothing to do with nursing. I think I'd be too soft to be a veterinary nurse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Weird, I was just looking into the one in St John's. Has anyone here done the course there? Please feel free to pm me in case it's derailing the thread. :)

Best of luck OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

I did a two year Diploma in Animal Care in Bray. I think the course is similar to the one that is run in Killester. It was FETAC level 5 (now level 6) and you also got a City and Guilds qualification. I think the course is great if you want to get in to Petstores/grooming/kennels but in terms of nursing and veterinary, I didn't feel the course was enough. The biology that is covered is basic enough (intense but nowhere near what you would cover in veterinary nursing). Since completing the course, I haven't been able to find work, and thats almost two years ago. I volunteer full time with an animal rescue group and the only benefit from what I can see, is that the experience of both the course and the volunteering would possibly give me an advantage if I applied for vet nursing (as a mature student).

Having said all that, I loved the course, met lovely people and found the content interesting, we covered, Dog Grooming, Dog Training, Animal Welfare, Animal Health and Housing, Pre-Vet Nursing, Petstore Management, Kennels and Cattery Management, Business, Communications, Biology, Wildlife Conservation, First Aid etc etc.

The course was intense and had a huge number of assignments (over 50 per year) but again, if you have an interest in this area, you will love it as I did!! And I definitely have put to use a lot of the information learned, but you definitely have to go on to do voluntary work or try get work in the area, or alot of the things taught will go out of your head, same as studying a language in school and when you leave and don't use the language, its difficult to remember it!

Well I've got an interview Wednesday for the course in DLCFE:)
    It's a Fetac Level 5 but then you can go on to do a second year and get a level 6. I'd love to set up my own grooming business eventually!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Me too! :D I did Animal Care/Science Fetac level 5 and 6 in Mallow College in Co. Cork, and have been doing work experience with my vet for a year, so I really hope I can get in this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

I know with the course in Bray, the second year was very repetitive so make sure to check the modules for both years. We ended up doing a lot of the same work in Year 2 as we had done in year 1. Another point worth mentioning, in Bray, the course was called a Diploma in Animal Care which we discovered in Yr 2 that it was in fact a Certificate, so just make sure that you know exactly what the course entails and what certification you get at the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

Ive had a look at those two courses they look very interesting.Can you tell me if thier both Full time,id be definately be interested in doing them unfortunately would not be able to attend on a full time bassis,so im looking for a part time evening option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gill_g

NoDice wrote: »
    Weird, I was just looking into the one in St John's. Has anyone here done the course there? Please feel free to pm me in case it's derailing the thread. :)

Best of luck OP!
    Hi,
    Did you find anyone who has done the courses in St Johns Cork?
    I'm looking into this course at the moment and the ones in UCD also and would be very interested in any and all advice.
    Thanks

Advertisement