Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing for 6 day trek (help me please)

Options
  • 03-01-2011 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks.

Heading off to the camino for 6 days at easter for the first time. Just looking for some advice from folks more knowledgeable then me about gear, the clothing is my main concern. Im no stranger to the outdoors, my main sport is cycling, do alot of hill walking in the winter but usually just one day hikes so never had to think about the clothing all that much.
    So far on my gear list is wicking t shirts, fleece and gore tex jacket, but its the bottom half im not sure about, jocks and pants. i dont plan on bringing 6 pairs of jocks with me! what do ye wear? also what pants and advised. id like to bring only one pants (maybe shorts for the evening in the hostels)

Im carring a 28ltr Deuter pack. want to take a little as possable (so i have loads of space for food and water, I eat a lot!:))

any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Socks, socks and more socks! Some Compeed patches also, even if you never usually suffer from blisters. Apart from that I'd have two pairs of long walking pants; you never know what disaster may happen to befall one pair of pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

1 long trousers with 1 pair cycling shorts underneath, or wicking Uware.
    3 jocks
    Boardshorts for the evening(optional)

SOCKS at least a pair a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wipeout.wendy

simple - i did 14 days on a the bare min;

couple of tech tees (cheap ones in portwest brand)
    2 pairs of good hiking socks (expensive but last ages)

2 pairs of shorts, pair of pants for the evening or cold mornings, and for under the shorts or the pants a pair of wicking thermals...

and i would go for changing the baselayers more than the outer layers so maybe 4 pairs of non cotton type jocks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Thanks for the replies.

Also, Sleeping bags. is there such a thing as a XL bag? bought a highlander on but cant fit in it, im 6,4 with wide shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Berghaus have a DWR trouser that is fantastic... tons of stretch also.
    Most blisters are caused by ill fitting footwear and non low-profile stitching socks.
    Hydration system - Camelbak.
    Thermals - either HH Dry (this will keep you dry) or Icebreaker 200 marino wool. I use marino exclusively w/in the mountains. An advantage of marino is that you will be able to wear it for 4/5 days and have no smell.
    Good luck.
    A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

kayaksurfbum, did i a few years back and i rem thinking the most important decision i made was getting a decent pair of salamon runners and three pairs of good socks. no need for boots, esp if your not doing the early stages.
    i stayed in some of the budget refusios(sp?) without a sleeping blanket although it does get cold when you start walking early, bring a head torch and one of those water pouches that fits into bag.
    best of luck, it's amazing

Advertisement