Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Litter disposal

• 03-01-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering how you dispose your cat litter?

I just got my cat and have been using the regular bin, can you put it in the organic bin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

Legen_Dary wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering how you dispose your cat litter?

I just got my cat and have been using the regular bin, can you put it in the organic bin?
    Depends on what type of litter your using I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Cat litter should not be put in the organic bin and it is not suitable for use in compost either (even if it is the eco friendly stuff). I have heard of people flushing it down the toilet but I, personally, would not recommend this. Clumping litter should never be put into the toilet as it will block up the pipes and could become a very messy job to sort out.

Putting it into a plastic bag (and even double bagging it) and treating it like normal household waste by putting it into the regular bin is the best way to deal with it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Legen_Dary

Cat litter should not be put in the organic bin and it is not suitable for use in compost either (even if it is the eco friendly stuff). I have heard of people flushing it down the toilet but I, personally, would not recommend this. Clumping litter should never be put into the toilet as it will block up the pipes and could become a very messy job to sort out.

Putting it into a plastic bag (and even double bagging it) and treating it like normal household waste by putting it into the regular bin is the best way to deal with it IMO.

Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I got one of these Litter Lockers
    60355_agras_litterlocker_ne_1.jpg
    its beside the litterbox and holds about 1-2 weeks worth of soiled litter in a bag.Theres a trap door kind of thing that keeps all the smells in.Once its full it goes out with the normal rubbish then. V handy.

You can get flushable cat litter but havent used it so not sure how good it is.

anniehoo wrote: »
    its beside the litterbox and holds about 1-2 weeks worth of soiled litter in a bag.Theres a trap door kind of thing that keeps all the smells in.Once its full it goes out with the normal rubbish then. V handy.

wow that looks great. Just bought one, should be really handy, hate that walk out to the bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Legen_Dary wrote: »
    wow that looks great. Just bought one, should be really handy, hate that walk out to the bins.
    Yeah i find it great,glad i bought it. Where did you buy it from?Its reduced from 22.90 to 17.90 on zooplus at the minute.Also one tip i learned from the reviews is dont bother buying the refill cartridges.Theyre expensive and normal swingbin liners do the job just as good when the one it comes with runs out.Just tuck it over the existing cartridge when its empty.

I got it at zoo plus, was €23 including delivery and got 10% off because it was my first order. I think the 17.50 is sterling. Still a great deal if it saves me going out to the bins everyday.

I read that in the reviews, the refills seemed a bit pricey alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

anniehoo wrote: »

I have a couple of Litter Lockers in my house for our tribe and they're great. We got one from zooplus over a year ago when it was about €26 and one from maxi zoo just before xmas for €19.99. The refills can be expensive if you have a lot of cats but you can use normal bin bags wrapped around the old cartridge. I'd suggest using one inside another if they're not the big, big bags.

I've tried the Oko plus litter which claims to be flushable but I wouldn't advise flushing it in any quantities as we had a close call with a blocked loo as a result. If you just flush occasional very small amounts, it would probably be ok but I wouldn't really advise it for regular litter tray cleaning. We still use the litter but it now goes in the litter locker.

There are various schools of thought on bio degradable/compostable cat litter but the main opinion seems to be that, although it does degrade, it can take much longer to break down and the bacteria still exist in the compost so it can only be used for ornamental plants. Any compost used on vegetable plants for consumption can transfer the bacteria to the plants and thus, to anyone consuming them, causing a health risk.

Our litter just goes in the regular bin once the locker is full and ready for disposal and this works fine for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

World's Best Cat Litter is BRILLIANT - I got a big bag once as donation and the difference was amazing. Lasts much longer, A LOT less odour and it's flushable. Brilliant stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I used breeder's choice for a long time, which was a cardboard pellet litter. Now I use Oz-Pet, which is a compacted sawdust wood-pellet litter.

All of my used litter goes over my garden. I shake the box so the poo rises to the surface and scoop out all poos with a plastic sieve spade, and flush the poo down the toilet - no litter goes with it, it's just poo. Then the litter goes over the garden - the wood-pellet stuff swells when wet and then disintegrates into plain sawdust when it dries out again. It's excellent in the compost heap I use for my ornamental plants. I also mulch with it. It breaks down really quickly. If I turn my compost heap, it's rich with worms - my heap is a combination of straw layers, spent litter (scattered over evenly and then wet down) and green waste from the garden - my kitchen waste goes into the worm farm as opposed to into the compost heap.

I used to put breeders choice on the garden but it took a long time to disintegrate - good as mulch, not good in composting. The wood pellet litter is a real bonus in the garden - I have heavy clay soil and the addition of so much sawdust improves the workability and weight of the soil.

I wouldn't use it on my fruit and veg garden mind, but one wonders after a year's composting if it would be a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I'm fairly basic.....empty tray into pedal-bin sized bag, knot the top and put it in the black wheelie bin.

If it's night, I do tend to just put the bag outside to one side of the back door, and then I bring one or two bags to the wheelie bin at a time the next day.

Wash tray, little tiny squirt of Domestos spray in it, and off they go again:D (mind you, mine are mostly using our flowerbeds in our back garden lately:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

+1 for World's Best Cat Litter, much better than normal litter. We flush the soiled bits down the loo, but when changing the whole trays we just put it in the bin in a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Another fan of World's Best here. The litter trays are a doddle to clean (very important in a house with multiple cats) and a 15kg bag easily lasts a month whereas I used 2x30l bags of Sanicat a week previously.

My only issue with it is that I don't like the smell of corn it gives off fresh out of the bag so we hacked an Ikea cabinet into a giant multi level litterbox and I don't have to smell it any more. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

hadook wrote: »
    My only issue with it is that I don't like the smell of corn it gives off fresh out of the bag so we hacked an Ikea cabinet into a giant multi level litterbox and I don't have to smell it any more. :)

Any chance of a photo?
    I can't picture that, but it sounds intriguing!!!

Advertisement