Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tversity video streaming error

• 03-01-2011 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

just hooked up my xbox to the wired network-have tversity running on the main pc

i can see the contents but am getting this error

'cannot play this content because it may not be supported'

is there a simple solution thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

do you have the codecs installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i think so

ffdshow and meda player -codec pack i think:confused:

but don't understand this stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Save yourself some hassle and just install ps3mediaserver, yes it works with the 360 and for general streaming purposes it smokes Tversity. :)

ok try installing these codecs.
    win7
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_windows_7_codecs/
    or if you have vista
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_vista_codec_package/

Edit: dont forget to restart

also if you have windows media center i would recommend you dump tversity
    and use windows media center.

but still install the codecs above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ok thanks-i'll take a look at this tomorrow
    i had ps3 media server- but i un-installed it:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I've been using TVersity for years and have even upgraded to the Pro Edition so I can stream stuff to my iPhone as well as my xboxes. It's a great Media Server, especially compared to WMC, has restrictions on streaming HD though but that's not an issue for me. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I feel I've seen it all at this stage.

Once you've installed a codec pack, (google codec pack... your OS... and the term "shark" that should get you the correct links up), then TVersity should automatically transcode any file that the xbox doesn't natively play.

However, in certain circumstances, you may need to change the settings in TVersity for specific file/container types. IF it won't automatically transcode the file you want, then just change the transcode setting to "ALWAYS TRANSCODE" just for watching that file, then change it back to "WHENEVER NEEDED".

Also, make sure you regularly reboot your router and host PC as I've noticed that this can effect performance. Once my media sever PC is running for about five days, it starts doing strange things with TVersity and the hard drives connected to the server. Thirty second reboots always sort this out. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Once you've installed a codec pack, (google codec pack... your OS... and the term "shark" that should get you the correct links up), then TVersity should automatically transcode any file that the xbox doesn't natively play.

However, in certain circumstances, you may need to change the settings in TVersity for specific file/container types. IF it won't automatically transcode the file you want, then just change the transcode setting to "ALWAYS TRANSCODE" just for watching that file, then change it back to "WHENEVER NEEDED".

I've done exactly what you said and I still don't know what the problem is. I'm using mostly .avi videos andI don't see what the problem is.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you downloaded the "Optional Media Update" from the Marketplace?

If not, get it and then try your avis again.

gizmo wrote: »
    Have you downloaded the "Optional Media Update" from the Marketplace?

If not, get it and then try your avis again.
    No way of doing that. I'm banned!:eek:

I thought that tversity transcodes the videos so it makes it compatible with the xbox?

• Advertisement

clonadlad wrote: »
    No way of doing that. I'm banned!:eek:

I thought that tversity transcodes the videos so it makes it compatible with the xbox?
    If you're only gamertag banned then you can create a Silver profile on your console, download the Update with that and it'll be applied to the console.

Tversity does, have you followed TheMooseInNam's instructions regarding the transcode setting being set to "ALWAYS TRANSCODE" ?

gizmo wrote: »
    If you're only gamertag banned then you can create a Silver profile on your console, download the Update with that and it'll be applied to the console.

Tversity does, have you followed TheMooseInNam's instructions regarding the transcode setting being set to "ALWAYS TRANSCODE" ?

Its a console ban actually, all profiles banned.

It's set to always transcode. Still no luck.

Advertisement