Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards League (Thursday)

Options
  • 03-01-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

The League are

Division 1

Coach Potatoes
    Yermen
    Grubber RFC
    Men Who Stare at Goats
    Toronto Rucks
    Gideons
    Front Row Fairies
    Everyone Likes a Tryer

Division 2

Curly Sue Death Squad
    Scorched Earth
    Geraldine RFC
    Ladyboys
    Forza Juve
    Beltra RFC
    Newcastle West
    Rath Rugby Club

This was done based on ranking from yesterday (W15D7).

The first two weeks of fixtures are up so get accepting. More will appear shortly. Website will be updated this week at some stage as well.

As for the structure we have a few options on how to run the league, all of which involve home and away games against each team in your league taking up 14 weeks:

1) Results based on the 14 games only decider, 2-4 teams get promoted/relegated. I would 4 would be better for this as it would increase turover of teams and keep interest alive. This option leaves last two weeks of the season open for things like Phonehead's interpro challenge.

2) League as above, 5th and 6th in div 1 play relegation qualifier against 3rd and 4th in Div 2.

1) 14 league games. Playoffs in division one between top 4 places as in the actual league take place week 15 and 16 to determine winners. In division two 'semi final' playoff week 15 as in real league, the winners get promoted automatically and play a final for the division 2 medal week 16. The losers play a promotion qualifier against 5th and 6th place in week 16 for promotion.

4) some other combination that I don't want to type out but feel free to suggest.

I like option 3 but don't want to step on other competitions toes so am happy with option 1 also.

As for the trophies, they are set at the moment as 1-4th (it was only one league this season). I think it should either be 1st-3rd div 1 and div 2 1st place or 1st annd 2nd for both divisions (max of four trophies). Phonehead, I couldn't see an option to change tropihy names so the one(s) we change might have to be deleted and added with new names, I assume you have the image files for the trophies to do this?

If a fixture is not accepted a 20-0 bonus point victory will be awarded. This will hopefully be a multi-season competition and at the end of season 11 all boardsies signed up will be asked to confirm if they want to continue. If a team drops out or becomes bot everyone will move up a place according to end of season standings (only really relevant if team is in div 1 and we need to promote someone) and a new team will hopefully be found for the second division.

Ok, I'm tired and can't remember if there was anything else to say so I'll leave it there for now.

Accept your friendlies ASAP and let me know which league structure you'd prefer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

Option 3 if possible, if not then option 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

option 3 suits me, if not option 1.

I am fairly easy to the format tho - as long as i get a trophy at the end of it!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Due to the interpro being my baby and being played on Thursdays of Round 15 and 16 I would'nt be keen on playing then! how about have final games Monday Round 15 (that means intensity comes into play for deciding round)

Regular season ends Thursday R14

Monday of Round 15 1 Plays 2 for Championship Trophy - 3 plays 4 for third place trophy.

In division 2

1 and 2 play off for Title (both promoted)
    3 plays third bottom in Division 1 for Division 1 status (could also have 4 playing 4th Bottom)

I think Monday Round 15 is always free anyway as all friendly comps finished by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Phonehead wrote: »
    Due to the interpro being my baby and being played on Thursdays of Round 15 and 16 I would'nt be keen on playing then! how about have final games Monday Round 15 (that means intensity comes into play for deciding round)

Regular season ends Thursday R14

Monday of Round 15 1 Plays 2 for Championship Trophy - 3 plays 4 for third place trophy.

In division 2

1 and 2 play off for Title (both promoted)
    3 plays third bottom in Division 1 for Division 1 status (could also have 4 playing 4th Bottom)

I think Monday Round 15 is always free anyway as all friendly comps finished by then.

That would work for me anyway and we could change the 4th place trophy to a div 2 winner one and we'd be set. People might be against Monday games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Phonehead wrote: »

I'm fairly easy with the structure...but only for thursday games...having said that i dont think i'll be involved in 1/2 or 3/4 playoffs!!

prob be another competition for me to fight relegation :eek:

• Advertisement

First half of the fixtures are now up. Everyone should have a game against each of the other teams in the group and should have 3 home and 4 away (or visa versa). If you don't I made a mistake and let me know.

If it looks like people don't want a Monday match at the end of the season we'll go with a straight league format, 4 promoted/demoted teams, medals for 1-3 in div 1 and 1st in div 2. Hopefully people will be ok with that, it's the only option so far that noone has rejected (out of the four people to post so far :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sounds good to me Mar-z.

Thanks.

straight league is how it went this year and since energy & cup runs do not impact it no need for playoffs really since there are no excuses! ;)

Legend Mar-Z, I will be finished packing by the weekend so if you need me to do anything let me know and I'll do it then - will also try to get something done for the Boards Cup Monday edition at the weekend - start in round 2

is there a website set up for the league?

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    is there a website set up for the league?

http://boardscuplite.yolasite.com/

eoferrall wrote: »

Will be updating this week. Might have to wait till the weekend though.

Only one manager the manager of rath rugby club to accept for week 1. Please do so asap l3m0n5!

I've also br mailed you in case your not here too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

it says i dont have a match for round one? do i have bye?

its because we have both accepted it sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

mar-z wrote: »
    Only one manager the manager of rath rugby club to accept for week 1. Please do so asap l3m0n5!

I've also br mailed you in case your not here too often.

Sorry wasn't on for a while all friendlies accepted

In for a bit of a hammering by the Couch Potatoes it looks like. Stars were well against me and am already a try down.

And after I lull you all into a false sense of security in this match I'll strike to take the gold later..................yeah, that's the plan :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and it looks like Beltra RFC accepted a friendly for the community challenge which overrode this comp. newcastle west become the team to beat in div. 2 with a bonus point 20-0 victory by default.

Website looks great man, thanks - you have really made this a super competition this year! BTW I gave those Triers so hiding! don't mess with the champ:p

I expected a bigger defeat - i am leveling up in a new defense formation! ;)

I will take the losses at the start of the season to have the wins at the end! Also just noticed the cheap jibe on the website about DIV2 champ not being a winner:(

but its ok, my mum says I am great!:D

eoferrall wrote: »
    I expected a bigger defeat - i am leveling up in a new defense formation! ;)

I don't think Thursday's count towards defense levels do they?

• Advertisement

i was wondering why i didnt have a match, yay one win. thanks mar-z but if you look at the stats you clearly see i wont be the team to beat for awhile

i was wondering why i didnt have a match, yay one win. thanks mar-z but if you look at the stats you clearly see i wont be the team to beat, for a season or two anyway

I don't think Thursday's count towards defense levels do they?

aww crap - had a feeling that might be the case since energy etc don't count.....:(

Edit: Deadly I used a crap defense level for nothing - checked defense level & unchanged :(

Div 1
    Yermen 46 - 21 MWSAG
    Toronto Rucks 38 - 22 ELAT
    Couch Potatoes 52 - 7 Grubber RFC :o
    FRF 12 - 33 Gideons

Div 2
    CSDS 36 - 3 Geraldine RFC
    Scorched Earth 63 - 8 Ladyboys
    Forza Juve 97 - 0 Rath Rugby Club
    newcastle west 20 - 0 Beltra RFC

Only Gideons managed to get an important away win in week 1.

Div 1

FRF 12 - 33 Gideons

Only Gideons managed to get the an important away win in week 1.

I dont think they'll be the only ones!! my team is prob the worst in div 1 of this comp!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

Only Gideons managed to get an important away win in week 1.

It close one too, 12-19 up until 72minute, FRF even missed out on a try just before then so it could of went either way!.

again

Been a bit slack with the updating of this. Will do it on Sunday when I'm home from Galway (or Saturday if the conference is really boring).

Website doesn't have the previews yet (again), wanted to see how close it was between myself and Yermen before I had to go, ah well.

Division 1 and 2 round up: week 3

After 3 rounds both divisions are mirroring each other at the top with two unbeaten teams, one taking maximum points and the second place only missing out on one bonus point. We will have to wait and see if the "big dogs" of Coach Potatoes, defending champions Toronto Rucks (division 1), Forza Juve and Curly Sue Death Squad (division 2) can be knocked of their perch by someone else or will it come down to a big double header in week 6 when all four teams are in action. We might also see if I can keep my metaphors straight in the future.

At the bottom both divisions each have a team waiting to chalk up there first points but neither have been helped by playing more away games than home.

League tables and results have been updated.

• Advertisement

Round 4:

Division 1 saw Toronto Rucks claim top spot after an away victory against Men Who Stare at Goats. The defending champions are now the only unbeaten team after Couch Potatoes (which I spelt correctly this time) after Everyone Likes a Tryer stepped up to the plate and to ruin the Potatoes 100% streak with a bonus point win. The battle to avoid the drop is intense as 3-6 places are seperated by only two points, while Front Row Fairies and Men Who Stare at Goats both need to start picking up points when theyplay each other next week in what promises to be a tense affair.

The race to the Division 2 championship is as close as can be with only points difference seperating Forza Juve from 2nd place Curly Sue Death Squad. Scorched Earth can not be forgotten about in terms of the title either and are only 3 points behind. The Death Squad - Scorched Earth clash in round 5 promises to be the pick of the round here, while Geraldine RFC will hope to gain ground as the 4th place team travel to league leaders. 3 teams are a bonus point win behind the promotion places as the bottom four teams play each other and each need victory if they are not to start worrying about being cut adrift.

Will get the remaining 7 rounds of fixtures up this week.

Advertisement