Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Christmas Blues

Options
  • 03-01-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Y'know I really hate that first week after Christmas and New Years is done. The Christmas RTE Guide has just run out, people are going back to work, Christmas music isn't being played on the radio anymore and trees and decorations start getting taken down all over the place.

Does anyone get this? I know most get the January blues, but is there a difference between this and post-Christmas blues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Yeah I get the post-Christmas blues too.
    What really annoys me is there was an ad on the TV a few days ago with Martine McCutcheon and she is taking her Christmas decorations down. Boo!
    What is it with the UK - do they not do the whole 12 days of Christmas or something?
    It made me angry. There are still two days of the Christmas period left.
    Actually my mother calls the 6th little Christmas. We used to get a small present on that day when we were kids.

But ya seeing no ads on TV or Christmas songs on the radio is really depressing. It's still nice to see Christmas lights in peoples houses though.
    I for one am going to keep my tree up until the weekend. I really hate getting back to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Yeah I get the post-Christmas blues too.
    What really annoys me is there was an ad on the TV a few days ago with Martine McCutcheon and she is taking her Christmas decorations down. Boo!
    What is it with the UK - do they not do the whole 12 days of Christmas or something?
    It made me angry. There are still two days of the Christmas period left.
    Actually my mother calls the 6th little Christmas. We used to get a small present on that day when we were kids.

But ya seeing no ads on TV or Christmas songs on the radio is really depressing. It's still nice to see Christmas lights in peoples houses though.
    I for one am going to keep my tree up until the weekend. I really hate getting back to normality.
    Also known as 'womens christmas'

I was surfing the net and found out that in Elizabethan times the Christmas decorations were left up until Candlemas (Feb 2nd). How does that sound to people? Queen Elizabeth I must have been fond of Christmas! :)

Mine are coming down today

I was in Tesco yesterday and they had their Easter stock out already. Seemed quite weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Seems to me people are looking to get past Christmas and into the new year pretty sharpish. I was in Kilkenny today and decorations were already down in most places. In one shopping centre they were taking down the tree, it was a little depressing!

Scráib wrote: »
    Seems to me people are looking to get past Christmas and into the new year pretty sharpish. I was in Kilkenny today and decorations were already down in most places. In one shopping centre they were taking down the tree, it was a little depressing!

Booo!! Well I was driving today out the country and there are still loads of lights up - it's lovely to see. :)

I know people don't want to hear it, but with snow on the way, it's a way to extend the Christmas magic (if it's not disruptive, that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Still have my lights up and on inside and out! And damn it, it will be like that for a good while yet! Live on christmas spirit live on!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

amiable wrote: »
    I was in Tesco yesterday and they had their Easter stock out already. Seemed quite weird.
    They have signs up saying 'Happy Easter!' WTF!!?? :eek:

I didn't have the post-Christmas blues this year because I was sick in bed with a really bad 'flu for a week and half and missed it all so I'm glad it's over because I was so miserable for the whole Christmas. (..after spending the previous 4 months looking forward to it, boo. :()

Posy wrote: »
    I didn't have the post-Christmas blues this year because I was sick in bed with a really bad 'flu for a week and half and missed it all so I'm glad it's over because I was so miserable for the whole Christmas. (..after spending the previous 4 months looking forward to it, boo. :()

oh you poor thing posy! I remember you posting allright when I was asking about Christmas in September!
    Today you should have yourself a little Christmas to make up for it. Have something yummy for dinner and treat yourself to a little gift. Happy Christmas! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

I believe today is the last day. It is actually so sad thinking that it is over. I'm planning to keep the tree up until the 12 th though.

cooltown wrote: »
    I believe today is the last day. It is actually so sad thinking that it is over. I'm planning to keep the tree up until the 12 th though.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Just took my tree and decorations down tonight...so depressing:(

ah well, that means next Christmas is closer!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Ours are still up and will be for the next week :)

tommy21 wrote: »
    Ours are still up and will be for the next week :)
    :D I was going to take mine down but thought, what the hell and will leave them up for another while! My excuse is I didn't get my money's worth out of them because I wasnt in the house for the Christmas period.
    I noticed another house with a Christmas tree and lights lit the other day :D

I suppose whatever floats your boat haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I suppose whatever floats your boat haha

Well it IS the Christmas forum, for all of us that love it.

star-pants wrote: »
    Well it IS the Christmas forum, for all of us that love it.
    Did i criticise anybody or moan about christmas or tell somebody what to do?

Did i criticise anybody or moan about christmas or tell somebody what to do?

Nope, never said you did

Nope, never said you did
    Ok mod

• Advertisement

Ok mod

o_O I was just saying some of us are a bit mad about Christmas, tis why we're all in here after all. Perhaps my tone came across wrong

o_O I was just saying some of us are a bit mad about Christmas, tis why we're all in here after all. Perhaps my tone came across wrong
    Perhaps it did

Perhaps it did
    I'll put one of these '' :D '' in in future to avoid confusion.

I've seen a few houses with lights still up, I love outside trees with lights still on though, like trees in peoples gardens, tis always nice to see.
    Saw some teeny fake trees on sale in Tesco today, a few of them lonely on the shelf, all reduced and no home. That gives you Christmas blues alright!

I'll put one of these '' :D '' in in future to avoid confusion.

I've seen a few houses with lights still up, I love outside trees with lights still on though, like trees in peoples gardens, tis always nice to see.
    Saw some teeny fake trees on sale in Tesco today, a few of them lonely on the shelf, all reduced and no home. That gives you Christmas blues alright!
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 stevefinnn

X-MAS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Still have my house lit up in the evenings with Christmas lights and some decs still up,tree still up too.Took them down to spring clean and well thought it easier to put them up again than store them away in the attic.{ok,I was in one of my,couldn't be bothered moods.}:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh littlemis, your house sounds brilliant! :D

Advertisement