Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn make bid for Ronaldinho

• 03-01-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

£6.2m, breaking news on Sky Sports News now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Who's robaldinhio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Aha I got the edit in early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Who's robaldinhio?

Now who looks the fool. :P

What a fall from grace for the big man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

eZe^ wrote: »

Hard to believe he's only 30

:p

He's hardly worth 6.2m at that age is he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

eZe^ wrote: »

Hardly a reflection on him that a non-entity of an English side have put in a cheeky bid. He won't end up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

£6.2m is not a poultry sum for a club like Blackburn. I think the new Chairman said they'd only be spending round £5m, so it looks like they're putting all their eggs in one basket.

The new owners will most likely take Blackburn to wherever it was they existed before Jack Walker bought them.

£6.2m is not a poultry sum for a club like Blackburn.

The new owners will most likely take Blackburn to wherever it was they existed before Jack Walker bought them.

I like your wild bird references!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well with 6 months left on his contract £6.2Million is a bit much to offer, considering the club had already said there would only be £5million available for transfers, along with this the clubs wage bill would be thrown into chaos.

Even though he is exactly the type of player Blackburn need in my opinion, I would rather see him go back to Brazil, and I don't think for a minute he would want to come to Blackburn anyways.

I can't help but think this is a bit of a publicity stunt for the club by Venkys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Would be an interesting one not to expensive (Excl. Wages) and would get a nice few jerseys going out of the shop. Could add a bit of flair and magic to Blackburn however given their style of play and the other players in the squad it would not work. Ain't a chance Ronaldinho is going to fancy any games other than the big ones in Old Trafford, Emirates etc. He ain't going to trot around Ewood Park to happily every second saturday.

I personally don't think it's going to happen anyway their must be an offer from Turkey or Middle East which will appeal to him more or even a move back to Brazil if it can be a afforded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

1805 GMT: Blackburn have made a 7.2m euros (£6.2m) bid to bring Ronaldinho to Ewood Park from AC Milan, according to Anuradha Desai, chairwoman of Rovers' new owners Venky's. (Sky Sports News)

1501 GMT: Ronaldinho's brother and agent says the AC Milan star is close to securing a move back to homeland Brazil with clubs Flamengo, Gremio and Palmeiras keen on the 30-year-old. Roberto Assis said: "We don't know what's going to happen yet, but we want him playing in Brazil again." (Associated Press)

Id see the earlier rumour to be far more likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

6.2m?I'm sure Milan will gladly accept that for a washed up Ronaldinho,very much doubt Ronnie will be too keen on partying it up in glamorous Lancashire though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

hell end up back in brazil i think. flamengo are willing to pay what milan are looking for. gremio wanted him but cant afford to pay anything. hes not good enough anymore to go to a top european club. there was a rumour that he might end up back at PSG but cant see that happening. what will happen with his wages i wonder - if he goes to any of the teams mentioned hell have to take a major pay cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Lol, just Lol. This whole Blackburn situation is laughable. According to SSN Blackburn have said they'll increase their offer if needed. What are Milan going to do now?! Amazing. Ronaldinho will never go to Blackburn anyway, unless they offer astronomical wages - and i can't see that happening either.

sonic85 wrote: »
    What will happen with his wages i wonder - if he goes to any of the teams mentioned hell have to take a major pay cut

Well Milan won't be renewing his contract, and as far as I'm aware there are 6 months left on that now,

So he is entitled to nothing but the highest wage offer, he'll be out on his arse in 6 months anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Looks like a bid to please the fans rather than anything else but if they managed to pull it off it would be a marvellous coop for them ;)

Degag wrote: »
    Lol, just Lol. This whole Blackburn situation is laughable. According to SSN Blackburn have said they'll increase their offer if needed. What are Milan going to do now?! Amazing. Ronaldinho will never go to Blackburn anyway, unless they offer astronomical wages - and i can't see that happening either.

Well a set weekly wage, a few play related bonuses and all you can eat chicken.....

mmmmm chicken,

enticing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It sounds like they're just buying a name to make a statement rather than it being any actual tactical purchase.

Ronaldinho doesn't seem to have the desire anymore. Great player in his day, probably the best in the world and one stage. But surely, there's more effective players they can buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

This is such a sad thread... Ronaldinho is one of my all time favourite players, a few years ago he had the world at his feet and was winning personal awards left, right and centre, such a shame to see him linked to a club like Blackburn (no disrespect intended to any Blackburn fans..).

I mean, what happened to this man?

lost his desire. like adriano he loves to party and placed more of an emphasis on that than his football. every other player would be in their prime at 30 but hes virtually finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

lost his desire. like adriano he loves to party and placed more of an emphasis on that than his football. every other player would be in their prime at 30 but hes virtually finished

Brazilian burnout syndrome caused mostly by players moving in their teens to big european clubs for vast amount of monies.

Now wheres the 2011 wonderkid thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

No way he will go to Blackburn, nobody of a manager there and terrible football. Not to mention living in bloody Blackburn. Suppose he could live in Manchester.

Love him to sign if only for the usual ****e "Bet he won't do it on a cold Wednesday in October away to Stoke" cliche.

Just saw a figure on the wages at around 140,000 a week which signals a definite No on the move for me.

peabutler wrote: »
    Just saw a figure on the wages at around 140,000 a week which signals a definite No on the move for me.

ha ha! sure thatll rule out a move to every club outside the top 5 or so in europe! no club with any sense would pay a has been anything remotely close to that figure. he may settle for something around the 60 - 80,000 mark. though loads of people still love him so he would probably sell a fair few shirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Hard to believe he's only 30

:p

same age as gerrard:p

ha ha! sure thatll rule out a move to every club outside the top 5 or so in europe! no club with any sense would pay a has been anything remotely close to that figure. he may settle for something around the 60 - 80,000 mark. though loads of people still love him so he would probably sell a fair few shirts

That's what Blackburn are willing to stump up. I'd say if he was going down the money route he'd take in around 200-250,000 dollars in Qatar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

he's going to brazil. Feck, he's already there talking to 3 clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Blackburn are turning in to a cringefest.
    Those new owners could be the worst the league has seen for cluelessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

From the beaches of Brazil to Paris to Barcelona to Milan. Surely Blackburn is a natural move to complete his world tour. Hope this happens it would be pure comedy gold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

JPA wrote: »
    Blackburn are turning in to a cringefest.
    Those new owners could be the worst the league has seen for cluelessness.
    Why? For having ambition? No matter how barmy the concept of a player of this calibre at Ewood Park, Juninho showed it was possible with his Boro love affair.

And let's be honest, there is not one amongst us who would not want to see Ronaldinho in the Premiership.

I'll admit I'd love to see it just for all the Roflcopters and LOLcano's that come with it.

/goes into LFC superthread to inform Eagle Eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

How exactly do they plan to pay his wages?

Moneymaker wrote: »

half in pounds sterling and half in chicken :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Moneymaker wrote: »

Sell a hell of a lot more chickens!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

THFC wrote: »
    This is such a sad thread... Ronaldinho is one of my all time favourite players, a few years ago he had the world at his feet and was winning personal awards left, right and centre, such a shame to see him linked to a club like Blackburn (no disrespect intended to any Blackburn fans..).

+10000

He has been a sad sight the last 2/3 years, for a player that awesome to go downhill so much in such a short period of time is such a shame. For 4 of the 5 years he was at Barca he was peerless, there was no other player in the world that was anywhere near playing at the standard he was playing. Almost every week you would be left open mouthed by some outragous piece of skill that he pulled off. He is also one of my favourite players of all time and I think Messi is the best player i have seen in my lifetime but Ronaldinho is a close second to him in my eyes.

He started going downhill when he started to wear the headband :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Jesus, eagle eye must be pulling the wire off himself after seeing this in the news.

Odd how he hasn't come in with his "facts" on the matter yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Savman wrote: »
    Why? For having ambition? No matter how barmy the concept of a player of this calibre at Ewood Park, Juninho showed it was possible with his Boro love affair.

And let's be honest, there is not one amongst us who would not want to see Ronaldinho in the Premiership.

Because this won't happen and is simply to get some attention. It's not about ambition, I hate these type of publicity stunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

JPA wrote: »
    Because this won't happen and is simply to get some attention. It's not about ambition, I hate these type of publicity stunts.

I have to fully agree with you on this one. It's riskless from their perspective: they know he is highly unlikely to go for it; and if he does they know that the boost in tickets / jersey sales will lesson the expense of his two year contact.

And either way they get to claim 'ambition' and be taken at face value by drooler fans.

All terribly cynical. Allardyce wouldn't have stood for this bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I have to fully agree with you on this one. It's riskless from their perspective: they know he is highly unlikely to go for it; and if he does they know that the boost in tickets / jersey sales will lesson the expense of his two year contact.

And either way they get to claim 'ambition' and be taken at face value by drooler fans.

Fully agree with you guys that its all about promoting the club, but not so much in England as in India and other parts of Asia. They want to make Rovers the club to follow over there being Indian owned and all.

There are some Rovers' fans falling for this stuff but its a small minority. Most fans are worried about us falling into the relegation dogfight now. And thats from being in a position that we felt there might even be a chance to snatch a Europa League place earlier this season when Big Sam was in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If he goes to Blackburn i will eat my own head

kryogen wrote: »
    If he goes to Blackburn i will eat my own head
    I never thought I'd see something even more unrealistic than Ronaldinho to Blackburn in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Going after that washed up has-been shows zero medium term ambition by the owners. He is old and ****e, and €6m is a lot to spend for ****e. Youngsters should be the aim, Blackburn need to build from scratch

Going after that washed up has-been shows zero medium term ambition by the owners. He is old and ****e, and €6m is a lot to spend for ****e. Youngsters should be the aim, Blackburn need to build from scratch
    How can you call a player who was the leader in assists in Serie A and 12th in goals in Serie A last season a has been?

Do you mean a has been by his lofty standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

eagle eye wrote: »
    I never thought I'd see something even more unrealistic than Ronaldinho to Blackburn in this thread.

that was sort of my intention

i mock this publicity stunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

What? This would be wet dream for Allardyce. An over the hill veteran on a short term deal (Okocha, Djorkaeff, Hierro). Allardyce would love it

Any chance we could merge this with the Rovers superthread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

tommyhaas wrote: »
    What? This would be wet dream for Allardyce. An over the hill veteran on a short term deal (Okocha, Djorkaeff, Hierro). Allardyce would love it
    +1

However Allardyce signings tended to be a bit more over the hill. (With the possible exception of Okocha)

The BBC are running the story now, apparantly Venkys Brazilian office are in talks with Ronaldinhos manager.
    They are quoting 20million over 3 years which could be spent a hell of a lot better if they have that much to invest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

eagle eye wrote: »
    Fully agree with you guys that its all about promoting the club, but not so much in England as in India and other parts of Asia. They want to make Rovers the club to follow over there being Indian owned and all.

There are some Rovers' fans falling for this stuff but its a small minority. Most fans are worried about us falling into the relegation dogfight now. And thats from being in a position that we felt there might even be a chance to snatch a Europa League place earlier this season when Big Sam was in charge.

That's my worry too. With Sam gone, I can't see where the results are going to come from. Under Sam, we would not have lost 2-0 at home to Stoke and 3-0 away to Sunderland. We've taken four points from the last twelve.

It isn't good enough. Two wins lifted West Ham from bottom to 15th. If teams like Wolves and Wigan string a few results together, we'll be in big trouble.

It's fairly obvious Kean is just a puppet and he shouldn't have let himself get into this situation.

This Ronaldinho talk is just utter nonsense. I'd be more worried about tieing the likes of Phil Jones and Samba down to deals with the 5 million they said they had to spend.

We're going to be the next Pompey the way things are going.

• Advertisement
Advertisement