Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with a Neighbour

• 03-01-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes.

For the past few weeks now a neighbour has decided he wants to constantly annoy my dog. The dog is a Boxer Rottweiller cross, by no means aggressive but he will bark if teased or you enter his space. In the past week though it has escalated beyond just annoying him. He spits at my dog, threw a steak knife at him and also threw an empty bottle of whiskey at the dog. It only happens when he has drink on him! I've confronted him about it but he just laughs and i'm not going to lower myself to him.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone that i can contact regarding the neighbours behaviour?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

markc1184 wrote: »
    ....threw a steak knife at him and also threw an empty bottle of whiskey at the dog....
    I'm just wondering if there is anyone that i can contact regarding the neighbours behaviour?

The guards? He is effectively trying to assault your animal - Id definitely call the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Call the gardaí straight away.

Also, try and get some photos or videos of them doing it.

Keep a diary which times and dates of what he does and where etc.

Terrible thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

I'm Assuming you don't want to call the guards or you would have? Is this like a form of torment or bullying or something? Do you live on your own? Are you not at all friendly with anyone in his family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You must get evidence. Film him, photograph him. If he throws anything into the garden photograph it, in situ, & then bag it making sure that you do not touch it with your hands - pick it up like you would a dog pooh & seal the bag. You can get a decent cctv camera for not much money. Also if possible get a friend in to witness it.

Then when you have sufficient evidence go to the Guards. If they refuse to act then you should refer it to the Garda Ombudsman. You can also contact your local authority & you can issue civil proceedings against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

By no means a torment or bullying issue. I had thought of the Gardai but was unsure if it was a Garda matter without solid proof. He is a 30 something year old still living with his parents. I have talked to his mother about it and she has tried talking to him but the problem still goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

get the dog warden.i expect yr dog is under control and has a licence.my fear would be if your dog got out he would attack this man .your dog would have to be put down and you would be sued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Is he doing this while you're out walking the dog, or when you are with the dog? If so I'd also let the gardai know that you fear for your own safety. Definately gather evidence and go to the police about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

molard wrote: »
    get the dog warden.i expect yr dog is under control and has a licence.my fear would be if your dog got out he would attack this man .your dog would have to be put down and you would be sued.

That is a very good point because under Irish Law your dog can be deemed as dangerous & put down if it bites someone even on your own property. I would definitely contact the dog warden & explain the situation to cover your self in case the idiot puts a hand over the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Keep the dog in when you think the neighbour has drink on him, keep the dog supervised or on a lead when out for a piddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Drink is never an excuse,You already tried using words and nothing has come of it. film the guy and put it up on youtube. Hopefully something like what happened to dustbin cat lady will happen here also. Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes.

For the past few weeks now a neighbour has decided he wants to constantly annoy my dog. The dog is a Boxer Rottweiller cross, by no means aggressive but he will bark if teased or you enter his space. In the past week though it has escalated beyond just annoying him. He spits at my dog, threw a steak knife at him and also threw an empty bottle of whiskey at the dog. It only happens when he has drink on him! I've confronted him about it but he just laughs and i'm not going to lower myself to him.

why is he carrying a dangerous weapon ( steak knife) on public pavement, that is an offence, and he could have hurt your dog with it, must be a person with a nasty streak, he could be a danger to humans also when drink is on board,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

goat2 wrote: »
    why is he carrying a dangerous weapon ( steak knife) on public pavement, that is an offence, and he could have hurt your dog with it, must be a person with a nasty streak, he could be a danger to humans also when drink is on board,

All this is going on between the back gardens of our house's. Sorry if it wasn't clear from original post.

Thanks for the advice so far. I bought a small CCTV camera today so I'll set that up and see if I can get anything to use against him.

Advertisement