Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Akureyri, Iceland

• 03-01-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭

what can you recommend to do here? going next week..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

snowdaze wrote: »
    what can you recommend to do here? going next week..

Seems like a nice place but I'd imagine there is little to do there unless you are a fisherman

Why are you going out of interest? Seems rather remote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

Was in Reykjavik and Borgarnes a few months ago but going to Akureyri next week - going to visit a school which will be in a Comenius project with mine and others....there is skiing in the evenings and will get to the Blue Lagoon.....life revolves around the hot tubs in the evenings from what I can gather.....the business of the day is discussed like we might do down the pub.......work will be done in the daytime:) shocking expensive country

Just thought there might be something interesting to do there at the weekend that I may not be aware of before I return, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Been there a few times. Akureyri is a small town and you can walk the centre is 20 minutes. There are a few nice shops, some ok bars, a few good restaurants and a great ice cream shop. If I recall there is only 1 hotel but several guesthouses. The airport is small and is located 5 minutes drive from downtown and is also walkable to town. The flight - which will probably be from Reykjavik domestic airport and not Keflavik - is short and very interesting so get a window seat and have the camera ready.

Whilst Akureyri has little to offer in itself, its a great base to visit places nearby. Some place to visit are:
    • Myvatn and the big lake area
    • Godafoss - an amazing waterfall "of the Gods"
    • Dimmuborgir - the "Dark Castles" are an amazing geological phenomenon
    • Reykjahlid - the village of Reykjahlíð is small but interesting
    • Jardbodin - You MUST visit the Mývatn Nature Baths www.jardbodin.is they are so much nicer and less touristy than Blue Lagoon.
    • Hverir and Námafjall geothermal area well worth a look
    • Viti
    • Krafla

cool, thanks for all the info and just in time to,
    snowdaze:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Akureyri is a gorgeous town; I was there in the summer, but it was still pretty quiet despite it being Iceland's second 'city'. The surrounding landscape is just beautiful, I hope you enjoyed it, OP :)

• Advertisement

H2G2 wrote: »
    The flight - which will probably be from Reykjavik domestic airport and not Keflavik - is short and very interesting so get a window seat and have the camera ready.
    Hmm, I flew directly to Akureyri from Copenhagen with Iceland Express. Maybe they don't operate that route during the winter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I was there this summer as well really nice place, I didn't spend much time there as got a flight out to the island of Grimsey which is up to the north, and is directly on the Artic Circle, really amazing place there are so many birds there it is unreal. Well worth a look if you get a chance, plus you can take a picture of yourself on the Artic Circle :)

Had a wonderful few days there - what a beautiful town! I would be interested to go back in June and see it in daylight - 24 hours!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

snowdaze wrote: »
    Had a wonderful few days there - what a beautiful town! I would be interested to go back in June and see it in daylight - 24 hours!:)

Well worth going back to see the midnight sun, it is amazing and also kinda weird when it is 2 in the morning and still bright you just don't want to go to sleep, I want to go back myself sometime soon. Would like to explore Iceland in winter as I was there in summer.

The mosquitoes and flies are a right pain in the summer, though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement