Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DJ-ing Forum?

• 03-01-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭

Howyiz,

This isn't a complaint, just a suggestion. And I'm easy on whatever decision is made, I just thought it would be a good time to highlight something that I've felt for a while. I'd like to direct your attention to the following thread in the 'Electronic Music & Dj-ing Forum'. Be warned before clicking, though...it becomes a minefield.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055740540

In particular, the implications of the thread was that quite a strong divide was evident between one aspect of DJ-ing (commercial, mobile etc) and another (niche, play-for-pints etc).

Again, this isn't complaining (lord knows I gave as good as I got) but during the discussion I felt quite an overwhelming bias towards the latter and at times was singled out personally simply BECAUSE of my stance as a commercial DJ. I was told I have no soul, no love for music and so on and so forth. Again, all fine, I'm a big boy and I can take it. Similar commercial DJs attempted to post but were just as quickly shot down by the regulars.

I rarely post on this forum BECAUSE of this attitude that if you don't at least dabble in the niche then you are a sellout and as good as lowlife scum. That's fair enough that members should feel that way...such is the passion music brings out in people.

But, at the same time, is it fair that one aspect of DJ-ing is massively favoured over another because the only place to discuss DJ-ing on boards is in a board that, by nature, focuses strongly on niche, underground music?

In fact, I would venture to say that commercial DJs vastly out-number niche DJs...and yet boards doesn't reflect that in the slightest.

I feel that DJ-ing is a wide, varied enough subject to justify its own forum and I feel that it is unfair that the trade get lumped in with a forum that only favours one aspect of it.

The Electronica members all seem very content with the status quo and the moderators run a good ship in terms of maintaining it. I'm not recommending ANY other changes than to take the DJ-ing out of that forum and give it a home of its own. The Electronica members can also participate in the new forum as they see fit and do so under less biased circumstances that will encourage more productive discussions encompassing a wide range of perspectives.

Given time, I also feel that the forum will attract back members who - like myself - would have been put off posting in the Electronica board for the same reasons I would have been. And the Electronica board will no longer have to tolerate discussions involving people's whose perspectives differ almost criminally from theirs.

For example of similar, well-run DJ-ing forums in this format, feel free to look up the Mobile and Club DJ-ing subforums in Radiowaves.

Anyway, I feel it's worth at least a considered look and discussion. But whatever you guys decide, I'll be happy to go with.

Cheers.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Not sure if it is still relevant, but i dont think they are looking at any new forum creation at the moment

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056067263

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I'll point you to here - the Forum Request area - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

And here, the previous attempt to have a separate DJ forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054922170

I think the forum used to be just called 'Dance Music', the request for a DJ specific forum resulted in a name change to 'Dance Music / DJ Forum' or something, which is now 'Electronic Music & DJ'ing'

To be honest, I think most people would like the two separate forums, I don't know why Electronic music has to be thrown in with DJ ing.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Still unsure exactly how this would work though - the link between electronic music and DJing is clear but obviously there are DJs that don't fit in the electronic bracket. I reckon its a given that people into electronic music that DJ will obviously be in the electronic forum, whether it has DJ in the name or not. But lets say a DJ that plays rock or metal etc - I assume they will post in the metal forum. Equally a hip hop DJ will post in hip hop etc. So if there is a new forum for 'DJs' - is there enough of demand for other DJs to warrant it? - and that's a genuine question, I don't know... as was pointed out in the Coppers thread, technical questions etc are always answered and its anyone's guess as to who is asking the question in terms of them being a wedding DJ or hardcore-gabba-deathcore-techno DJ!

From what I gather it can take a while to get a new forum approved etc - it might be worth doing as I had previously suggested and start a commercial DJ thread - at least that's a starting point to gauge the level of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Still unsure exactly how this would work though - the link between electronic music and DJing is clear but obviously there are DJs that don't fit in the electronic bracket. I reckon its a given that people into electronic music that DJ will obviously be in the electronic forum, whether it has DJ in the name or not. But lets say a DJ that plays rock or metal etc - I assume they will post in the metal forum. Equally a hip hop DJ will post in hip hop etc. So if there is a new forum for 'DJs' - is there enough of demand for other DJs to warrant it? - and that's a genuine question, I don't know... as was pointed out in the Coppers thread, technical questions etc are always answered and its anyone's guess as to who is asking the question in terms of them being a wedding DJ or hardcore-gabba-deathcore-techno DJ!

From what I gather it can take a while to get a new forum approved etc - it might be worth doing as I had previously suggested and start a commercial DJ thread - at least that's a starting point to gauge the level of interest.
    IMO they should be separate - DJing in itself is deserving of a forum - and let it take it's own course as to who posts where.

The last time round though - the DJing forum wasn't approved - the powers that be obviously felt that 'Dance' music and DJing are the same thing.

joker77 wrote: »
    IMO they should be separate - DJing in itself is deserving of a forum - and let it take it's own course as to who posts where.

The last time round though - the DJing forum wasn't approved - the powers that be obviously felt that 'Dance' music and DJing are the same thing.

I didn't know that process even took place before, just had a look at your link for the forum request in 2006.

Yeah I agree alright, and as I said it was my preference when the name was changed earlier this year - just questioning how it would work really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The only people who would see Dance and DJ-ing as the same thing are people who don't DJ (don't mean that to sound as harsh as it does...it's just true).

The problem with the set-up now is that it discourages DJ-ing exclusive talk (not actively, mind). I know that technical questions get answered, but that is because there's nowhere else to pose the questions. What it's missing is the stories, the camaraderie and the good debates that this forum would encourage. It would even have an advantage over the likes of Radiowaves (which is very heavy on the mobile/commercial DJ side) in that it would feature so many different styles of DJs. With good moderation to keep spats to a minimum, there's a quality forum there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

it might be worth doing as I had previously suggested and start a commercial DJ thread - at least that's a starting point to gauge the level of interest.
    This make more sense to me than anything - a single megathread (if there'd even be enough traffic for it to warrant the title; I personally doubt it) with clear rules laid out at the start eg. no knocking commercial DJing/music/clubs because of their very nature.

I'm a fairly infrequent poster on the EDM forum, and I generally do my best not to be a knobend, but I'd be tempted to take a pot-shot when people start discussing which popular 90's house tracks mix well into Bob the Builder.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    This make more sense to me than anything - a single megathread (if there'd even be enough traffic for it to warrant the title; I personally doubt it) with clear rules laid out at the start eg. no knocking commercial DJing/music/clubs because of their very nature.

I'm a fairly infrequent poster on the EDM forum, and I generally do my best not to be a knobend, but I'd be tempted to take a pot-shot when people start discussing which popular 90's house tracks mix well into Bob the Builder.

Depends on which mix of Bob the Builder, the 'Cement Mix' on the B side is pretty good :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Pace2008 wrote: »

I think that idea misses the point a bit though. I mean, unless it's for the purpose of this kind of conversation, I wouldn't consider myself a 'commercial DJ'. I'm just a DJ, I'm me, and I'm pretty unique and different in the way I go about things....not your average DJ. I edge towards house music in my sets...but I wouldn't call myself a house DJ either. Same with a lot of other guys, some might consider themselves techno DJs...but they play commercial because they want to do it as a full-time living. Most commercial DJs I'd know would veer towards one genre of music they'd listen to/prefer/ideally play.

In fact, the only people who'd consider us commercial DJs are niche DJs...and they, in saying that, probably wouldn't consider THEMSELVES niche DJs: they'd be house/techno/trance/electro and so on.

So pigeon-holing guys and saying "Hey! You talk here!" probably isn't going to work. Like I said, DJ-ing is a whole skill and trade unto itself. And every DJ has a set of opinions, gig stories, expertise that makes for great conversation with peers. It shouldn't be lumped in with Electronica music. Like I said, that just nudges the conversation and 'boards' view of DJ-ing in one direction...albeit unintentionally. (I was a bit harsh blaming the mods in the Coppers thread)

I appreciate you guys are trying to come up with a workable solution until the idea can be considered...but I think that particular solution is doomed for failure for the reasons outlined above.

Advertisement