Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best dvd dual layer disk to copy

• 03-01-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

hi people anyone know the best cheap dvd dual layer? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Your not allowed to discuss backups on boards. But the best brand are Verbatim made in singapore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

Verbatim........But ONLY to back up your own bought games, should an accident happen, you are legally entitled to back up games you own and paid good money for.

But verbatim aint the cheapist, but worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

uprising2 wrote: »
    you are legally entitled to back up games you own and paid good money for.

Is that a fact? Well perhaps for the benefit of all of us, you'll provide a link to the above legislation that covers the EU?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is that a fact? Well perhaps for the benefit of all of us, you'll provide a link to the above legislation that covers the EU?

Well I aint going looking for EU fair use laws, but take a look at this, ok maybe its the USA but fair use is fair use, just say you made the copies in new york last week, how would that work?

How Do You Backup Nintendo Wii Games Legally?
    There’s been much debate over the years, but the answer is found in the Fair Use Act, which in a nutshell says that people are legally able to copy, rip, burn, backup, or whatever you want to call it, if the user are the purchaser of the master disc. This includes music, games, and movies and all other forms of media.
    As a matter of fact, many experts encourage end users to rip their optical media as soon as they can after they purchase it. This is because optical media is fragile, and it’s important to have a backup copy in case anything happens to the original that was purchased. The user can then use the copy on an everyday basis, while putting the original up for safe-keeping. The bottom line is that there is no legal penalty for backing up games. The feds are not going to come a-knocking and take you to Guantanamo just for making backups.
    http://www.gdzylawyer.com/how-do-you-backup-nintendo-wii-games-legally/

Well I aint going looking for EU fair use laws, but take a look at this, ok maybe its the USA but fair use is fair use, just say you made the copies in new york last week, how would that work?

How Do You Backup Nintendo Wii Games Legally?

http://www.gdzylawyer.com/how-do-you-backup-nintendo-wii-games-legally/

Well it's legal to own a firearm in many parts of the US too, but as you already know, their laws don't apply to us. The truth of the matter is, whether you own a game disc/audio cd/dvd etc etc, doesn not entitle you to evade the content protection system which is in place and duplicate the contents. That protection system is a bought & paid for security measure, & any 'moral loopholes' in your above link fall flat on their face when the content is digitally protected.

As we both know, it's illegal in the EU, & it's illegal everywhere to perform the above actions. The US has the Digital Millenium Act, the EU has the Copyright Directive, other regions have their own variations.

The fact of the matter is it's illegal to copy/dump/burn/duplicate a game disc, & no further rambling from me will change that. Therefore, end of story.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Well it's legal to own a firearm in many parts of the US too, but as you already know, their laws don't apply to us. The truth of the matter is, whether you own a game disc/audio cd/dvd etc etc, doesn not entitle you to evade the content protection system which is in place and duplicate the contents. That protection system is a bought & paid for security measure, & any 'moral loopholes' in your above link fall flat on their face when the content is digitally protected.

As we both know, it's illegal in the EU, & it's illegal everywhere to perform the above actions. The US has the Digital Millenium Act, the EU has the Copyright Directive, other regions have their own variations.

The fact of the matter is it's illegal to copy/dump/burn/duplicate a game disc, & no further rambling from me will change that. Therefore, end of story.

Question my friend, don't take this the wrong way, but your the mod of console modding, what made you take on such a role?, why mod a console?, is yours modded at all?, and I know all about F.A.C.T., many moons ago when cd burners weren't too well known about, 2 cop cars with 8 inhabitants arrived at door with a warrant, learned my lesson, took everything PC, duplicates, originals, sisters and brothers originals, I later found out from the 2 lads I had selling them for me that 2 cops were having a heated tug of war over the last copy of one of my products.

I'm quite aware its illegal to do what I was doing, I don't encourage anybody to do it, but do you buy the licence or the actual disk?

Remember these baby's?
    twin-cassette-tape-recorder.jpg

Used to work a treat on my spectrum 48k and C64.

10 print "uprising"
    20 goto 10

or something like that.

Lets not get into an argument about this, I DO NOT CONDONE PIRACY.

EDIT:
    resize pic if you can...

Also its legal to own a firearm in Ireland too BTW.

Here's my missus, not in Ireland I must add!!
    142000.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

rules are rules so making backups etc shouldn't be discussed here.

BUT...
    AFAIK (I'm not an law expert, however I know few people who are "fighting" with all means of electronic crime, including piracy, in Poland, this should be similar in whole EU):
    user has a right to have a spare copy of computer program (game) in case that original medium is missing, damaged, destroyed.
    In case of i.e. operating system like Windows an installed OS on hard drive is treated as a backup copy, so any other copy of the cd or dvd would be illegal. I wonder if a possibility of installing games on ie xbox's hdd would be treated this way.

that what I know about making copies, modyfiyng hardware to avoid security however is, hmmm, very grey area.

EDIT: found some source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

First off uprising2, you're not supposed to question a moderator in public on thread - if you have a problem with a judgement or a rule, take it to private message. That's a general rule here on boards.ie and one that really should be adhered to in my book.

If you want an open and honest discussion on this, and if the moderators can tolerate it under the rules, then you might be able to start a thread in Games, Legal Discussion or maybe even Feedback where boards.ie might even decide to have a word with their solicitors if there actually is a grey area so it doesn't get hit for damages if it gives us the go ahead to chat about this stuff.

Here are some relevant bits of law:
    80.—(1) It is not an infringement of the copyright in a computer program for a lawful user of a copy of the computer program to make a back-up copy of it which it is necessary for him or her to have for the purposes of his or her lawful use.

(2) For the purposes of this section and sections 81 and 82, a person is a “lawful user” of a computer program where, whether under a licence to undertake any act restricted by the copyright in the program or otherwise, he or she has a right to use the program, and “lawful use” shall be construed accordingly.
    81.—(1) It is not an infringement of the copyright in a computer program for a lawful user—

(a) to make a permanent or temporary copy of the whole or a part of the computer program by any means or in any form, or

(b) to make a translation, adaptation, arrangement or any other alteration of the computer program and to copy the results thereof,

to achieve the interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs where the following conditions are complied with:

(i) those acts are performed by the lawful user or on his or her behalf by a person authorised to do so;

(ii) the information necessary to achieve interoperability has not previously been available to the person referred to in subparagraph (i); and

(iii) those acts are confined to the parts of the original program which are necessary to achieve interoperability.

(2) Subsection (1) shall not permit the information obtained through its application—

(a) to be used other than to achieve the interoperability of the independently created computer program,

(b) to be given to persons other than those referred to in that subsection, except where necessary for the interoperability of the independently created computer program, or

(c) to be used for the development, production or marketing of a computer program substantially similar in its expression, or for any other act which infringes copyright.
    82.—(1) It is not an infringement of the copyright in a computer program for a lawful user of a copy of the computer program to make a permanent or temporary copy of the whole or a part of the program by any means and in any form or to translate, adapt or arrange or in any other way alter the computer program where such actions are necessary for the use of the program by the lawful user in accordance with its intended purpose, including error correction.

(2) It is not an infringement of the copyright in a computer program for a lawful user of a copy of the computer program to observe, study or test the functioning of the program in order to determine the ideas and principles which underlie any element of the program, where he or she does so while performing any of the acts of loading, displaying, running, transmitting or storing the program which he or she is authorised to do.

First off uprising2, you're not supposed to question a moderator in public on thread - if you have a problem with a judgement or a rule, take it to private message. That's a general rule here on boards.ie and one that really should be adhered to in my book.

If you want an open and honest discussion on this, and if the moderators can tolerate it under the rules, then you might be able to start a thread in Games, Legal Discussion or maybe even Feedback where boards.ie might even decide to have a word with their solicitors if there actually is a grey area so it doesn't get hit for damages if it gives us the go ahead to chat about this stuff.

Here are some relevant bits of law:

Yea you kinda proved me right.

The rule I'd like adhered to mostly in my book is "No Backseat Modding", haha couldn't resist.

No need to get solicitors involved, continue as is, nothing illegal has been done here, and it's not against the law to discuss the law.

docentore wrote: »
    rules are rules so making backups etc shouldn't be discussed here.

BUT...
    AFAIK (I'm not an law expert, however I know few people who are "fighting" with all means of electronic crime, including piracy, in Poland, this should be similar in whole EU):
    user has a right to have a spare copy of computer program (game) in case that original medium is missing, damaged, destroyed.
    In case of i.e. operating system like Windows an installed OS on hard drive is treated as a backup copy, so any other copy of the cd or dvd would be illegal. I wonder if a possibility of installing games on ie xbox's hdd would be treated this way.

that what I know about making copies, modyfiyng hardware to avoid security however is, hmmm, very grey area.

EDIT: found some source

Just as I said in my very first post here
    3.3. Exceptions to software copyright

There are certain exceptions to software copyright. This subsection discusses certain exceptions to software copyright that, by virtue of the Directive, apply everywhere in the E.U.

The Directive states that if you have acquired a computer program lawfully (i.e. with the rights owner's permission), then:

• You are entitled to use it for its intended purpose.

• You are allowed to correct errors in the program. (However, if you only possess the object code of the program, you must make corrections while the program remains in that form - you are not permitted to decompile it, i.e. convert it into source code form, in order to make error correction easier.)
    • You are allowed to make a back-up copy of the program - that is to say, a spare copy, in case the original is erased or damaged by accident.

• Advertisement

Yea you kinda proved me right.

The rule I'd like adhered to mostly in my book is "No Backseat Modding", haha couldn't resist.

I don't backseat mod, I report posts as the mods will no doubt tell you. I don't like seeing threads getting locked though, but you sure are trying to go about it by questioning mods on thread.
    No need to get solicitors involved, continue as is, nothing illegal has been done here, and it's not against the law to discuss the law.

This isn't up to you to decide, that's a moderator's decision.

Back on to where this topic has gone, Docentore's post is not Irish Law. It is the EU Directive. Irish Law adheres this this Directive, but can expand on it. See the quoted sections above, that's actual Irish Law as put into force in 2008 and specifically pertaining to software.

A question that could be put to you is: Why is a copy of the software necessary for you to use it lawfully? After all you do own the original.

Keep in mind that this directive is only applicable to 1:1 copies, scrubbed Wii games, modified NDS ROMs, PC Games etc do not come into this equation, their use is forbidden entirely as it's breaking DRM (PC cracks etc).

Interpretation of the law is subjective, and anybody without experience in case law and this type of law may as well be talking out their ass. Playing it safe, as boards are trying to do, is fine in my book. There are plenty of other places where these things can be discussed in more lax environments. It seems to me that you just want to rock the boat for the sake of it

I don't backseat mod, I report posts as the mods will no doubt tell you. I don't like seeing threads getting locked though, but you sure are trying to go about it by questioning mods on thread.

This isn't up to you to decide, that's a moderator's decision.

Back on to where this topic has gone, Docentore's post is not Irish Law. It is the EU Directive. Irish Law adheres this this Directive, but can expand on it. See the quoted sections above, that's actual Irish Law as put into force in 2008 and specifically pertaining to software.

A question that could be put to you is: Why is a copy of the software necessary for you to use it lawfully? After all you do own the original.

Keep in mind that this directive is only applicable to 1:1 copies, scrubbed Wii games, modified NDS ROMs, PC Games etc do not come into this equation, their use is forbidden entirely as it's breaking DRM (PC cracks etc).

Interpretation of the law is subjective, and anybody without experience in case law and this type of law may as well be talking out their ass. Playing it safe, as boards are trying to do, is fine in my book. There are plenty of other places where these things can be discussed in more lax environments. It seems to me that you just want to rock the boat for the sake of it

Ahh FFS!, take a chill pill or something man, and another thing "your book" as you keep referring to isn't boards.ie, so in your book has absolutely nothing to do with anything here, in my book there could be a whole new story, or anybody's book for that matter.

The answer to your question:
    Q: "A question that could be put to you is: Why is a copy of the software necessary for you to use it lawfully? After all you do own the original."

A: My very first post on this thread............incase your original is damaged, cracked, chipped, eaten by your dog or whatever, so you can continue to use what you paid for without having to pay for it AGAIN.

Also I find your post a bit hypocritical to be honest, your freely discussing modding and playing back-ups on other threads then suddenly turn into an apprentice mod on this thread.

Oh and report whatever you like, I didn't come here with an attitude only an opinion that has been attempted to be shotdown unsucessfully, what exactly have I done wrong?

in post 4 I was asked "Is that a fact? Well perhaps for the benefit of all of us, you'll provide a link to the above legislation that covers the EU? "

I reply and am accused of in thread disagreeing with a mod by a non mod, who takes it upon himself to teach me the rules when its none of his business.

Think about it........or better still read it again incase your misrepresenting my meaning.

The answer to your question:
    Q: "A question that could be put to you is: Why is a copy of the software necessary for you to use it lawfully? After all you do own the original."

A: My very first post on this thread............incase your original is damaged, cracked, chipped, eaten by your dog or whatever, so you can continue to use what you paid for without having to pay for it AGAIN.

In case, a hypothetical situation. Do you have a baseball bat in your car just in case somebody happens to go all road rage on you and have a weapon on them? Probably not. It can be argued that it isn't necessary to have a copy for you to use the software if you have the original. I'm also fairly sure that you buy the license to use the original software in this country, it's why you must stop using software when you sell it on. It's also why game companies won't give you discs at cost-price when your xbox falls over and scratches the bejaysus out of them.

Do I agree with this? God no, I know full well the major pisser that is losing an original disc and having to fork out full price for a new one. I don't believe there's a judge in the country who'd want to nail you for copying a DVD or a game that you've got the original. My opinion on this doesn't matter though because there is only the law of the land first of all, and then there are the rules of boards & the sub-forum you're on.
    Also I find your post a bit hypocritical to be honest, your freely discussing modding and playing back-ups on other threads then suddenly turn into an apprentice mod on this thread.

Modding is what we're here for, don't want to mod then leave :D I'm pretty sure I don't discuss how to rip games, what tools I'll need to dump an NDS ROM, what burner burns the best quality backups or muddle with anything copyright related with relation to software. I'll mess with teh hardware though, ooooh yeah :) What I choose to do with my own console once it's modded is my own business, I could be running a copyright factory here in the bedroom (I'm not :p) but I'll keep that off boards.
    Oh and report whatever you like, I didn't come here with an attitude only an opinion that has been attempted to be shotdown unsucessfully, what exactly have I done wrong?

I've not reported this thread.
    in post 4 I was asked "Is that a fact? Well perhaps for the benefit of all of us, you'll provide a link to the above legislation that covers the EU? "

I reply and am accused of in thread disagreeing with a mod by a non mod, who takes it upon himself to teach me the rules when its none of his business.

You were disagreeing with the mod. A little friendly advice, telling you you're going about this the wrong way and suggesting a better way and suddenly I'm back-seat modding and getting all up in your grill :rolleyes: Well I sure as hell won't bother in future so - Try pull that **** in After Hours and see how quick you get shut down.

Secondly, you didn't quote the legislation as EnterNow asked - I was looking forward to your reply myself and wondered if you'd actually go through and put in a bit of effort into researching it. Instead you went off on one about being an old school tape pirate, how the gardai came to your door, alleged they were crooked and had guys selling your copies for you, posted a picture of your wife (without a ring on her ring finger either :eek: :p) and said that despite all of this wilful copyright infringement you don't condone piracy :eek:.

Kicking up the sand here like you're doing could land this place in hot water. I like this forum, I like it a lot so that makes this my business. Besides, throwing your oar in is the way of boards, wouldn't be much of a discussion if certain people weren't allowed post. If you wanted the discussion to be between you and EnterNow or the mods then that's another reason why this should be done over PM. Then you wouldn't have to listen to the likes of me.

Years ago a few people posted up their experience of an event run by a promoter. They were pretty damning and if I'm honest I believe their accounts to be true knowing what I know about the event. However, the promoter threatened legal action and before it even got to court all discussion about this promoter and any of their events was off the table, even if it was positive. Despite what you may this boards.ie is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship. If DeVore or another admin popped in here and said "Cut this crap out or I'll axe the modding forum" then that is as it would be, no matter what you say or how you protest about it being legal.

I wouldn't like that to happen, I wouldn't like to raise dust in here. There are plenty of alternative places for discussion that which you're fighting to discuss here, and for that reason it's my own opinion that I'd prefer you not rock the boat. I'm as entitled to that opinion as you are to your own, no matter how many chill pills I take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

i totally agree with last post.whatever i want to do with my modded console is my own business..oh ya i use it to back up all my games....really i do.....isnt that the whole point of modding a xbox in the first place!!!get a life some of u lick arses who abide by every law in the country.isnt that why god invented geeks

Wow, what a mess.

None of the excerpts above entitle you to evade the copyright protection system on digital media. That's the last time I'm gonoing to mention that, as it seems to be falling on deaf ears. I still havn't been shown where I can legally bypass such protection systems in the EU.

Uprising2 - There's a difference between an unprotected analogue game, & a digitally protected one in the eys of the law. Every single one of my consoles is modded, but like the masses, you assume modding a console has a direct bearing on piracy. It doesn't. My Sega Megadrive is modded for 60Hz, My SNES is modded for region etc etc. And as to why I'm a mod here, it's in my bloodline. We get modcutters cards etc, it's great on the M50 when there's traffic jams ;)

Further to that, I've re-read the posts three times now, and it's quite clear TouchingVirus was not back seat modding. He was giving you an option of continuing this discussion in a relevant forum, & giving you a method of acknowleding just how far off topic we've gotten here.

A boards site-wide guideline is that we are all civil to each other, & in my opinion there was no need to rear up on TV & bring a nasty tone to the discussion. For that, you've earned yourself an infraction. I won't permit insulting other posters here.

Now, until you can prove me wrong & show me where in the EU I can legally evade/bypass/break the digital content protection system on a game disc, the conversation is over. Create a thread in the legal form if you wish to discuss it, but back on topic on this thread . The next time it's derailed, the trusty ban hammer shall be drawn.

Advertisement