Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unoffical xbox 360 HDD's

• 03-01-2011 8:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭

I was looking around the web at various prices for a 250gb HDD for an xbox as Im thinking of picking up an elite but it has no HDD included. I came across this site selling unoffical ones, a WD laptop drive in an xbox case from what I read on this site and other forums.

I was wondering though, obviously this will just plug in to the top of the elite on the same way an offical hdd would, but will it function in the exact same way? Is there anything thats known to not save on these? Add ons, arcade games, etc?

I did a search here and while there were threads on it none were posted after the new update came out a short while ago so need to know if that update rendered them usless or not as well

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

you'll no doubt get flagged by Microsoft and your account banned.
    installing a 3rd party HDD doesnt change the xbox's firmware in any way which will allow the HDD to go unnoticed..

EDIT: if you dont use xbox live, you should be fine i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    you'll no doubt get flagged by Microsoft and your account banned.
    installing a 3rd party HDD doesnt change the xbox's firmware in any way which will allow the HDD to go unnoticed..

EDIT: if you dont use xbox live, you should be fine i guess.

not true. there is no evidence of MS banning users for using modded Western Digital hard drives. They are after flashed drives not hdd's.
    So OP you will be fine with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Absolutely not true - I have been using an unofficial drive for the last 12 months (with Xbox live)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I used a chinese hdd until recently you will not get banned. Only issue i had with my hdd was that i wasn't able to play original xbox software, everything else worked fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Absolutely not true - I have been using an unofficial drive for the last 12 months (with Xbox live)

Nice one! When you got it was it just plug and play? Did you have to format it on a pc or was there any fiddling with it at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Alfreado wrote: »
    Nice one! When you got it was it just plug and play? Did you have to format it on a pc or was there any fiddling with it at all?

Ordered off eBay (20gb drive came in the click in hard drive casing) - just plug and play for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How come they don't play original Xbox games?
    Are we talking about downloaded or physical disk?
    Thinking of picking one up but have to be sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    How come they don't play original Xbox games?
    Are we talking about downloaded or physical disk?
    Thinking of picking one up but have to be sure

Something to do with a partition that's not on fake HDDs, won't play disk or downloaded games.

More reading on it here
    http://xbox.about.com/od/xbox360faqs/f/360hddbcfaq.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

zero19 wrote: »
    Something to do with a partition that's not on fake HDDs, won't play disk or downloaded games.

More reading on it here
    http://xbox.about.com/od/xbox360faqs/f/360hddbcfaq.htm

Does this include ALL dlc? Or just original Xbox games? I mean, for the likes of limbo and say... Gta San Andreas, will they work?

Advertisement