Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSc Computer Forensics

• 03-01-2011 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Does anyone know if they have started the full / part time MSc in Computer Forensics yet ??

Is anyone presently doing it, would appreciate any feedback / information on it

http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn518ISD.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

Hey,

The Part-time course is beginning in February. I'm hoping to do this course as well! There is an Open Day in the college on the 19th of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Thanks for that butters

Hopefully see ya there, am interested in instructor, how it rangs with other similar MScs in CF .I.E UCDs and specific info on course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

CFC1969 wrote: »
    Thanks for that butters

Hopefully see ya there, am interested in instructor, how it rangs with other similar MScs in CF .I.E UCDs and specific info on course

I'd deffinately check out the open night if you can. People who teach the subject will be on desks to answer any questions you have.. like the above.

Also gives you a feel for the place, whether you like it or not ;D

If your not able to make it to the open night, just give the college a call...say you need to find out who is incharge of that course... they'll give you his email address firstname.lastname@itb.ie and you can ask away ;D

Hi, does anyone know whether a Degree in IT is sufficient? Do you need to have prior knowledge / work experience in Computer Security?

Cheers.

Butters,

Heres link to course

http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn518.html

As Bren says above, mail the admin, his name is

anthony.keane@itb.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Dissenter

I'm currently finishing this course. it's an excellent Master's programme. There's a large focus on the applied and practical elements, which keeps it very interesting and relevant. There's also a good mix of modules, which are well chosen. It's a tough course, with a heavy workload and a lot of self-learning, but that's to be expected at Master's level. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

As far as I know you need an honours degree in IT/Computing or related subject, though you might be accepted with an honours degree in another subject if you have relevant and related work experience.

If you've any other questions, feel free to ask.

Hi Dissenter,

Thanks for the feedback. I emailed the head lecturer a few days ago, and he said that knowledge of COMPTIA A+ and NET+ would be required. Had you knowledge of these programs before starting the Masters course?

Also, are there many projects involved in the course?

For my Degree I was not required to do a Thesis. Do you reckon I'd be at much of a disadvantage when doing the Masters?

Thanks!

Hi Butters.

There's a lot of research work to do for the course, and it feels a bit overwhelming at times, but most of the research projects are very useful and would definitely enhance your skills for doing the thesis (which can be project based). Some of the modules are 100% continuous assessment, so they're completely based on research projects and papers. Others have some CA and a final exam.

A practical knowledge and experience of networking and operating systems would definitely stand to you for the course. I don't know about the A+ and Net+ requirements, maybe they're looking for them if your degree isn't in computing or IT? My degree is in computing, so I didn't have that requirement.

Hi Dissenter,

I have a Bachelor of Science Degree in IT, I completed the course in 2006 with a 2.1 Degree. The course requirements on the website state that all you need is a Degree in IT (min 2nd class Honours).

After emailing the head lecturer, he stated that you would need knowledge on Networking and the above programs I mentioned in my previous post. I emailed him back to confirm that this is the case. I have no knowledge of these programs, but I studied Networking for a sememster in college, although that was 5 years ago!

I'd be fairly confident I'd do well in the course if I did it straight after my Degree, but I think I might find it tough go get back into a study routine!

Thanks again for all your info, and if you can think of anything else can ya post it? Cheers!

You'll probably find it tough at the start, but you'll get back into it soon enough. Just do the work steadily from the start and you'll be fine (I should take my own advice!!!).

Not sure what else to add, but if you've any specific questions, feel free to post them and I'll do my best to answer.

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks for all the info on the course, much appreciated!
    When I think of more questions, I'll give ya a shout :)z

Butters, just a quick note on the A+ and Net+, they're not a requirement, but knowledge of their contents would be beneficial. However, if you're degree is in IT then you probably have a good understanding of networking and operating systems. And you also probably have some related work experience too.

I'd definitely advise you to go for this course, if it's an area you're interested in. It's really interesting and very practical for the most part.

Dissenter,

Thanks for all your feedback / help on this, it was much appreciated.

Butters,

Would,nt be too stressed about A / NET + qualifiations, they are entry level IT exams, and could be easily attained during degree if needed.

No problem. Glad to be of help.

Have you guys actually applied for the course, or been offered a place on it?

Cheers dudes!

I haven't actually applied yet, I'm going to wait until the Open Day next week. From emailing the head lecturer, he said that the closing day is the 23rd

Dissenter, how are your exams going?

So far so good Butters, thanks. Just one more paper/presentation due, and then the dissertation.

Well I decided to apply, but the course isn't going ahead next month due to a lack of numbers.

Fingers crossed it goes ahead in September!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I applied for this course as well and I was disappointed it did not go ahead.

They said they need 5 people for the course. I find it hard to believe that it did not get the numbers. I am going to try again in September.

Mits wrote: »
    I applied for this course as well and I was disappointed it did not go ahead.

They said they need 5 people for the course. I find it hard to believe that it did not get the numbers. I am going to try again in September.

Could it have been that they needed five more people to run the course. I was told the minimum number of participants was 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PointRoadMan

I am thinkng about doing this course. Has anyone any experience of it / advice. What is the timetable like.

Regards:confused:

• Advertisement

The timetable for the part time course was Tuesday and Wednesday nights 6-10pm. Usually a lecture from 6-7.40pm, break and then labwork from 8-10.
    Requires a lot more work outside those hours though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PointRoadMan

Dissenter wrote: »
    The timetable for the part time course was Tuesday and Wednesday nights 6-10pm. Usually a lecture from 6-7.40pm, break and then labwork from 8-10.
    Requires a lot more work outside those hours though.

Thanks, but this course in now full time. I think over four days. Anyone doing this at the moment.

Thanks, but this course in now full time. I think over four days. Anyone doing this at the moment.

I am doing it at the moment. It is the first time the course has run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I applied for this course full time starting in September. I did an undergraduate degree in computer forensics in Waterford Institute of Technology. Looks like a great course from the description on the Blanchardstown website. Just wondering how much programming is in this course because there was a lot in the previous one I did. Also is the main final project a thesis or is it a programming project. Cheers

Areyawell, good choice. It's an excellent course, and very practically focussed and hands-on.

There's not a lot of programming as it stands. However a lot of the papers and projects are decided on an individual basis, so if your interest is in programming then there's plenty of scope for it. Likewise if you're not too pushed on programming there's scope for avoiding it.

On the final project, you choose the subject of the research (subject to approval). It's a research project and dissertation.

Areyawell, good choice. It's an excellent course, and very practically focussed and hands-on.

There's not a lot of programming as it stands. However a lot of the papers and projects are decided on an individual basis, so if your interest is in programming then there's plenty of scope for it. Likewise if you're not too pushed on programming there's scope for avoiding it.

On the final project, you choose the subject of the research (subject to approval). It's a research project and dissertation.

Cheers for the reply, Looks like a much better course than the one offered in DCU or UCD from the description on website. Be taking this one if I get offered a place on it.

I did a bit of the course in DCU a few years ago and I hated it. It was loads of theory and not very practical. Loads of maths and algorithms.

The ITB course was designed with input from a lot of businesses and industry experts, who wanted graduates with good practical skills and hands-on experience. They weren't especially looking for people who could design a new encryption algorithm, rather they were looking for people who could actually understand and implement existing technologies.

There's a lot of self-learning on the course, and a lot of work, but it's generally very interesting, with loads of time in the labs actually doing stuff rather than just reading about it.

I don't think you'll have any problem being offered a place, provided the course runs, which will be down to getting the required number of participants. Hopefully that works out.

I did a bit of the course in DCU a few years ago and I hated it. It was loads of theory and not very practical. Loads of maths and algorithms.

The ITB course was designed with input from a lot of businesses and industry experts, who wanted graduates with good practical skills and hands-on experience. They weren't especially looking for people who could design a new encryption algorithm, rather they were looking for people who could actually understand and implement existing technologies.

There's a lot of self-learning on the course, and a lot of work, but it's generally very interesting, with loads of time in the labs actually doing stuff rather than just reading about it.

I don't think you'll have any problem being offered a place, provided the course runs, which will be down to getting the required number of participants. Hopefully that works out.

yea thats what I was thinking of. Whats the point in learning all the stuff like maths and algorithms when never going to use them. In Waterford as well as well it was more learning instead of actually implementing the technologies. How many were in the course when you were doing it?

areyawell wrote: »
    yea thats what I was thinking of. Whats the point in learning all the stuff like maths and algorithms when never going to use them. In Waterford as well as well it was more learning instead of actually implementing the technologies. How many were in the course when you were doing it?

Yep, very skills-enhancing. It'll be even better next time around as they'll revise it based on our class being the guinea-pigs. Some of the penetration-testing and security practicals will be excellent.

10 people in my class, which was a nice number. Diverse mix of backgrounds, skills and abilities. 10 was also the minimum number to run the course, I think.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what the UCD course is like, is the ITB course more practical ??

Advertisement