Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support former UCD SU president Gary Redmond

Options
  • 03-01-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Gary is now president of the USI and former SU presidents and Ents officer here at UCD. Gary has always served us well and is great craic and organised many great gigs for students. He organised the biggest march in decades as 40,000 students marched in Dublin against fees. Since he became USI president many leftie and pinko begrudgers have attempted to destroy his reputation and have alleged he is in cahoots with the government to bring in fees. I have never met a harder working individual than Gary Redmond who stands up for students and is a voice for everyone. All UCD students should stick up for Gary and tell all the moaners and whingers where to go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

double-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Gary is now president of the USI and former SU presidents and Ents officer here at UCD. Gary has always served us well and is great craic and organised many great gigs for students. He organised the biggest march in decades as 40,000 students marched in Dublin against fees. Since he became USI president many leftie and pinko begrudgers have attempted to destroy his reputation and have alleged he is in cahoots with the government to bring in fees. I have never met a harder working individual than Gary Redmond who stands up for students and is a voice for everyone. All UCD students should stick up for Gary and tell all the moaners and whingers where to go.
    Support him in what? Is he a FF member?
    What should the moaners and whingers do?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

Support him in what? Is he a FF member?
    What should the moaners and whingers do?

It's irrelevent whether he is a FF member or not. The fact is he is the best man for the job and a hard worker. These lefty types are trying to undermine him. They were the ones rioting on the march.

It's irrelevent whether he is a FF member or not. The fact is he is the best man for the job and a hard worker. These lefty types are trying to undermine him. They were the ones rioting on the march.

It's very relevant.Is he a FF member? If he is,then he will get no support from me.I don't support corrupt,crooked, traitors.

It's very relevant.Is he a FF member? If he is,then he will get no support from me.I don't support corrupt,crooked, traitors.

It's not relevent. All that matters is he is doing a good job which he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

He is from Arklow, I can never support anybody from Arklow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

He is a FF hack.

He is head of USI.

Do I need to know ANYTHING else about him?

you're spelling relevant wrong:D.
    Grassroots FF indeed!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maximalistic

Oh give us a break, the guy presided over the re-introduction of health fees into ucd and as usi president condemned the actions of breakaway usi members who were dealt with poorly by the gards on merrion row. Best man for the job? you really mean to insult our intelligence by telling us a Fianna Fáil careerist is the best we can do?

Oh give us a break, the guy presided over the re-introduction of health fees into ucd and as usi president condemned the actions of breakaway usi members who were dealt with poorly by the gards on merrion row. Best man for the job? you really mean to insult our intelligence by telling us a Fianna Fáil careerist is the best we can do?

Those "breakaway" people were not authorised to act by the USI and therefore deserved everything they got from the guards. The USI agreed the march route with the guards beforehand. We can't have hooligan elements taking the law into their own hands. Look at what happened in London. The students were completely out of control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

"I don't have to listen to these wild accusations!"

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maximalistic

"not authorised to act"?? Were the Italian student protesters authorised to take over the tower of Pisa or the colosseum in Rome for their protest? As demonised as they were by the Irish media all the "breakaway" protesters did was stage a sit in in the department of Finance before being dispersed in a less than favourable manner. They were no party headquarters attacked, no widespread vandalism or violence against police so dont throw in a comparision to London for shock value. Again these people were condemned and disowned by a USI president who is meant to represent all usi members regardless of their political beliefs. Well anyone with a half a brain knows he is a FF careerist, and for the sake of students in general he wont stand for election again.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Support him to do what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Lest we forget.

noeldempseyisaprick.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

This gent is clearly a leftist subversive trying to get us to hate our esteemed alumni: Premier Redmond.

Let us remember the good times in UCD under his stewardship:
    • The strong campaigning by Gary to return the UCD Students Services overpayment of €8 per student
    • The masterful swoop of not returning the €8 to the students due to the "administrative costs"
    • Reduction in library opening hours
    • Failure to get a permanent 24 hour study space
    • The great defiance to the introduction of health centre charges for students
    • The introduction of health centre charges for students
    The old campus just isn't the same without the great statesman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm as inclined to dislike the man who chose to blatantly wipe his ass on SU mandate* as anyone else, but lets keep the libel and abuse to a minimum here.

*Referencing Gary Redmonds support of the reintroduction of Health Centre Fees, something the SU had been mandated to oppose in any form

Lest we forget.

noeldempseyisaprick.jpg

I could not support a man with such awful awful hair........
    • The Science Day debacle where €35,000 for charity vanished

Pretty sure that had little or nothing to do with him, his education colleague DO'S was more involved, although amusingly, he was also a KBC head........... >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Quite frankly he is a Bollocks, I hope I never see his smarmy face again, least I be tempted to follow facekickers sage advice.

Fad wrote: »
    Pretty sure that had little or nothing to do with him, his education colleague DO'S was more involved, although amusingly, he was also a KBC head........... >_>

Yeah I took that out of my post. Forgot who the genius behind the one was.

"not authorised to act"?? Were the Italian student protesters authorised to take over the tower of Pisa or the colosseum in Rome for their protest? As demonised as they were by the Irish media all the "breakaway" protesters did was stage a sit in in the department of Finance before being dispersed in a less than favourable manner. They were no party headquarters attacked, no widespread vandalism or violence against police so dont throw in a comparision to London for shock value. Again these people were condemned and disowned by a USI president who is meant to represent all usi members regardless of their political beliefs. Well anyone with a half a brain knows he is a FF careerist, and for the sake of students in general he wont stand for election again.

As much as I may disagree with much of what Redmond and the USI do, the many students with faces covered, throwing rocks and invading a government building went well beyond simple protesting. That there was not widespread vandalism etc is due in part to good policing by the Gardaí. But there has already been a long thread on the march, so this we should not get into it too much here.

Plus on a wider note, many people are blinded into a mindless rabble and instantly condemning anything remotely related to Fianna Fail. The posts consisting of "pfft Fianna Fail" hardly have much merit behind them. Complain about their poor policies and suggest alternatives by all means, but don't get bogged down in rabble raising and looking for a pound of flesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No Thanks - I don't support Gary because he doesn't support my interests as a student and doesn't support the members of USI. He is also choosing to attack our frontline services by calling for the renegotiation of Croke Park

http://www.corkstudentnews.com/news/topstories/iadt-lecturer-hits-out-at-usi-over-croke-park-statement-19842

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    No Thanks - I don't support Gary because he doesn't support my interests as a student and doesn't support the members of USI. He is also choosing to attack our frontline services by calling for the renegotiation of Croke Park

http://www.corkstudentnews.com/news/topstories/iadt-lecturer-hits-out-at-usi-over-croke-park-statement-19842

That has to be renegotiated. And this is coming from someone who is now jobless thanks to public service cuts. But the Croke Park agreement HAS to be renegotiated.

Johnnymcg wrote: »

Thats a separate issue completely. Also, an Art and Design lecturer is not a "frontline service"

A cynical view of that lecturers comments would say she is trying to protect her pay and workload. The Institutes of Technology appear to be in need of some major restructuring anyway if you look at this article.
    Letter to Irish Times, 28th Sept 2010

** Speaking of academic pay rates, the following is the text of a letter we received from a senior figure in one of the Institutes of Technology (IOTs).

“In the IoTs, there is no requirement on teaching staff to hold a PhD-level qualifications to be hired, which is as it should be. We have people with trade certificates and basic degrees earning huge amounts of money. There is no expectation on these people to produce any research or do anything other than be present for their basic teaching hours. Once the examinations are over in the middle of May, they are not seen again on campus until the 1st of September, apart from dealing with the exams process, correcting scripts etc, for which they are paid additional, extraordinary sums of money.

“This also applies to Heads of Departments and Schools, probably averaging almost €100,000 pa – these people are here for little more than six months of the year. In short, the rates of academic pay in the IoTs, for a hugely underqualified and underperforming workforce, is nothing short of a national disgrace.”

The academic in question wants to maintain his anonymity. He writes: “I have to work with these people every day, so I would be committing career suicide by going public. I’ve seen too many people who spoke out get isolated over the years. It’s just not worth it.”

Expect this issue to receive considerably more coverage in the coming weeks.

I wouldn't give Gary any criticism for that deal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

As much as I may disagree with much of what Redmond and the USI do, the many students with faces covered, throwing rocks and invading a government building went well beyond simple protesting. That there was not widespread vandalism etc is due in part to good policing by the Gardaí. But there has already been a long thread on the march, so this we should not get into it too much here.

They weren't students doing that they were left wing political groups such as Eirigi and SWP doing that hooliganism.

unknown13 wrote: »
    They weren't students doing that they were left wing political groups such as Eirigi and SWP doing that hooliganism.

SWP has a group within UCD.............

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Support him for what? Is he running again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

You dare show your presents on boards.ie with a FF mindset?

By the way Gary is a moany little cheating lying careerist biAtch. How much did he pay you?

Plus on a wider note, many people are blinded into a mindless rabble and instantly condemning anything remotely related to Fianna Fail. The posts consisting of "pfft Fianna Fail" hardly have much merit behind them. Complain about their poor policies and suggest alternatives by all means, but don't get bogged down in rabble raising and looking for a pound of flesh.

I believe the little angel Gary Redmond was involved in a few sit down protests (some in government buildings) in his time. Obviously not as much as his predecessors in UCD.

unknown13 wrote: »

Eirigí, yes
    SWP, not so sure

I think people in Eirigí are a little bit more ... well rowdy, tbh.

Just a note, not all left wing political groups support hooliganism.

Further note, SWP and Eirigí weren't the only people who 'raided' the DoF.

• Advertisement

To be fair, there weren't many people with faces covered. From the photos of the event you can clearly see that only 1 or 2 people have faces covered and they were most likely from the undesirable group who always try to cause trouble at any and every major public gathering.

Plus, as I've said. The USI have 'invaded' government buildings in the past all without major Garda intervention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement