Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support former UCD SU president Gary Redmond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

It's irrelevent whether he is a FF member or not. The fact is he is the best man for the job and a hard worker. These lefty types are trying to undermine him. They were the ones rioting on the march.

Sir, I call that blatant right wing propaganda. You're just, excuse my french, shit stirring to be honest. Please let's cut the bull and have some hard facts.

Also, I'm a lefty, are you trying to associate me with the riots in Baggot Street? If so, I think I would have every right to associate your FF cohort and Gary Redmond with the governments epic failings (which have caused more than a mere bloody nose) over the past couple of years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Gary is now president of the USI and former SU presidents and Ents officer here at UCD. Gary has always served us well and is great craic and organised many great gigs for students. He organised the biggest march in decades as 40,000 students marched in Dublin against fees. Since he became USI president many leftie and pinko begrudgers have attempted to destroy his reputation and have alleged he is in cahoots with the government to bring in fees. I have never met a harder working individual than Gary Redmond who stands up for students and is a voice for everyone. All UCD students should stick up for Gary and tell all the moaners and whingers where to go.
    Jesus+weeping.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Thread of the Century.

(1)Those "breakaway" people were not authorised to act by the USI and therefore deserved everything they got from the guards. The USI agreed the march route with the guards beforehand. (2) We can't have hooligan elements taking the law into their own hands. Look at what happened in London. The students were completely out of control.

(1) Ah, this is good. So does that mean than people who wish to hold a separate protest should be bet up because they don't conform, eh? Do all student demonstrations have to be authorised by an undemocratically elected USI that doesn't have the unanimous support of the students? Sometimes I really do ask what type of democracy we're living in at all.

(2) Yes, sit down protester are indeed hooligans.

And furthermore, would the Saint* not want to get back down to work and finish his bloody degree, he's been off on a high fling now for the past couple of years doing jack shit. He's the true embodiment of a waster TBH.

*Master Redmond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

Yall_niggas_postin_in_a_troll_thread.png

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

redmondgetsroughedup.jpg
    radicalredmond.jpg
    Gary Redmond himself has taken part in sit-down protests, including the one shown here, called by, and organised by Free Education for Everyone. The images in this post are from a FEE blockade in UCD (supported by UCDSU) at the arrival of Brian Lenihan in 2008.
    Gardaí remove him from the roadway in several images. He also took part in an occupation of Wicklow County Council offices.

Should also state obvious troll is obvious. Notice when you put Gary Redmond into google, right below 'Gary Redmond USI' you find 'Gary Redmond Fianna Fail'. Tough break.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FiendishFriend

If you can't complete what you need to do in one term then you are not good at your job!!! So sick of these these serial SU ****es sponging off us over and over!! Get out into the real world and get a real job !!! One term and thats it !!! Rumour has it Scott Ahern is going to run again if not in UCD then in USI and i have no doubt redmond will run again !! GET OUT AND WORK LIKE THE REST OF US !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Do you remember that scene in the blues brothers where the Nazis are having a rally and everyone is booing them and generally shouting abuse at them but the Nazis are oblivious. They keep spouting their delusioned propaganda until Jake and Elwood drive a car through the group.

This is a bit like this. Everyone hates Fianna Fail,Fianna Fail hacks and die hard sons and daughters of the party however our ubermensch are unable to grasp this and still believe in their superiority and god given right to rule.

I might just drive my car through the next Ogra Fianna Fail rally.

PS: Everyone hates Fianna Failers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Eirigí, yes
    SWP, not so sure

I think people in Eirigí are a little bit more ... well rowdy, tbh.

Just a note, not all left wing political groups support hooliganism.

Further note, SWP and Eirigí weren't the only people who 'raided' the DoF.

As I was walking by the DoF shortly after the incident happened. You could clearly see a number of their big red banners outside it. A few of their members were even arrested in the DoF. The SWP were involved in that failed sit in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I am pretty sure it was OgraSF and Eirigi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Surely this is tongue in cheek? If not, I weep for the future.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I am pretty sure it was OgraSF and Eirigi.

Give me a few mins and I will provide proof the SWP were involved.

Surely this is tongue in cheek?

You would be suprised.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Im near sure it was just Eirigi and Ogra inside it though. I remember hearing jokes about "republican consensus at last!"

Im near sure it was just Eirigi and Ogra inside it though. I remember hearing jokes about "republican consensus at last!"

1) you are either a member of the SWP.

and / or

2) I have backed up my points enough, so if you can't accept that SWP than keep it to yourself. They were involved like it or not. I am not searching for any more sources because two is enough.

1) you are either a member of the SWP.

and / or

2) I have backed up my points enough, so if you can't accept that SWP than keep it to yourself. They were involved like it or not. I am not searching for any more sources because two is enough.
    Being a republican I would more likely be a member of Ogra or Eirigi tbh!

Personally I supported the sit in.

So, you got that wrong son, better luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

Being a republican I would more likely be a member of Ogra or Eirigi tbh!

Personally I supported the sit in.

So, you got that wrong son, better luck next time.

Equally as bad tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Gary is now president of the USI and former SU presidents and Ents officer here at UCD. Gary has always served us well and is great craic and organised many great gigs for students. He organised the biggest march in decades as 40,000 students marched in Dublin against fees. Since he became USI president many leftie and pinko begrudgers have attempted to destroy his reputation and have alleged he is in cahoots with the government to bring in fees. I have never met a harder working individual than Gary Redmond who stands up for students and is a voice for everyone. All UCD students should stick up for Gary and tell all the moaners and whingers where to go.

Are you Gary Redmond?
    It would be very funny if you were, given your choice of username.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL
    LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I believe the little angel Gary Redmond was involved in a few sit down protests (some in government buildings) in his time. Obviously not as much as his predecessors in UCD.

I am about as far away from a Gary Redmond apologist as you can get. But whilst he may have been hypocritical in what he said, it was still right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

They weren't students doing that they were left wing political groups such as Eirigi and SWP doing that hooliganism.

Left-wing political groups were the ring leaders, but there were still students involved. Some I recognized from around UCD and others were also known to be students.

Regardless, my point was that there was hooligan behaviour and that the USI were correct to condemn what happened. As I said in that post, there are much more detailed arguments about that day in another thread and I don't really want to get into it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I think you are a troll and you're just trying to get everyone to say what they don't like about Gary Redmond.
    He's really useless at politics. There's no defending his track record. This has to be a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

Grimes wrote: »
    Do you remember that scene in the blues brothers where the Nazis are having a rally and everyone is booing them and generally shouting abuse at them but the Nazis are oblivious. They keep spouting their delusioned propaganda until Jake and Elwood drive a car through the group.

This is a bit like this. Everyone hates Fianna Fail,Fianna Fail hacks and die hard sons and daughters of the party however our ubermensch are unable to grasp this and still believe in their superiority and god given right to rule.

I might just drive my car through the next Ogra Fianna Fail rally.

PS: Everyone hates Fianna Failers.

That's a ridiculous comment especially if you really are a moderater. Fianna Fáil are not hated. We still have lots of support even if some people have left lately. Some people are temporarily angry but deep down they know there is no alternative to the policies we have followed in the national interest. Do you think Fine Gael and Labour would be any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

That's a ridiculous comment especially if you really are a moderater. Fianna Fáil are not hated. We still have lots of support even if some people have left lately. Some people are temporarily angry but deep down they know there is no alternative to the policies we have followed in the national interest. Do you think Fine Gael and Labour would be any better?
    double-facepalm.jpg

Once again you have outdone yourself Grassroots.

Left-wing political groups were the ring leaders, but there were still students involved. Some I recognized from around UCD and others were also known to be students.

Regardless, my point was that there was hooligan behaviour and that the USI were correct to condemn what happened. As I said in that post, there are much more detailed arguments about that day in another thread and I don't really want to get into it all again.
    Lots of Ogra SF and eirigi activists are students, I know that for a fact.

Im not a moderator of the UCD forum and my archaeological,mythological or military interests have very little to do with anything here and I can say what I like.

Fianna Fail are hated. I used to vote Fianna Fail before and have told my local Fianna Fail TD (Minister) that if he choses to leave the party he will get my vote again, if he stays with the party he will not. Fianna Fail will always have support but then again Sinn Fein have support here and the BNP have support in the UK so there will always be some level of support for Fianna Fail, it does not mean they will be in power for (hopefully) the next few decades.

People are not temporarily angry, Fianna Fail will go down in the history books as the gang of inbred, criminal back scratching treasonous traitors they always were. If you are here to tow the party line and spout useless propaganda about trying to backtrack on years of failed policies then take your nonsense to a party funded Ogra trip to Europe where you can all bask in self importance and how your party uses the legislative system to support its own ends.

Now moving away from talking about liars and traitors, I do feel for Gary Redmond's situation. The lad has, like many SU hacks before him, put alot of time and effort into his political career culminating in his position as leader of a definitively left wing organisation charged with opposing the government on many issues. Unfortunately as an ardent Fianna Failer he has to keep his future party prospects by not rocking the boat while attempting to lead an organisation charged with opposing government policy.

Unfortunately he has failed, he backed the wrong political horse and the USI (as usual) is a failure of an organisation with restricts itself to near daily press releases of no actual importance and organising a few meaningless protests one day and supporting anti-student welfare policy the next.

USI is ineffective and a talkshop for students not really in college for any real reason, possibly to gain "life experience" considering Gary was in UCD before I got there seven years ago and still has not completed and undergraduate course. It sickens me to hear USI talk about jobs when a fair majority of them have never had to live in the real world.

Hypothetically, If Jack O'Connor was a member of the Fianna Fail party what would SIPTU's position be on anything? Now what if a Fianna Failer was head of USI ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

Grimes wrote: »
    Im not a moderator of the UCD forum and my archaeological,mythological or military interests have very little to do with anything here and I can say what I like.

Fianna Fail are hated. I used to vote Fianna Fail before and have told my local Fianna Fail TD (Minister) that if he choses to leave the party he will get my vote again, if he stays with the party he will not. Fianna Fail will always have support but then again Sinn Fein have support here and the BNP have support in the UK so there will always be some level of support for Fianna Fail, it does not mean they will be in power for (hopefully) the next few decades.

People are not temporarily angry, Fianna Fail will go down in the history books as the gang of inbred, criminal back scratching treasonous traitors they always were. If you are here to tow the party line and spout useless propaganda about trying to backtrack on years of failed policies then take your nonsense to a party funded Ogra trip to Europe where you can all bask in self importance and how your party uses the legislative system to support its own ends.

Now moving away from talking about liars and traitors, I do feel for Gary Redmond's situation. The lad has, like many SU hacks before him, put alot of time and effort into his political career culminating in his position as leader of a definitively left wing organisation charged with opposing the government on many issues. Unfortunately as an ardent Fianna Failer he has to keep his future party prospects by not rocking the boat while attempting to lead an organisation charged with opposing government policy.

Unfortunately he has failed, he backed the wrong political horse and the USI (as usual) is a failure of an organisation with restricts itself to near daily press releases of no actual importance and organising a few meaningless protests one day and supporting anti-student welfare policy the next.

USI is ineffective and a talkshop for students not really in college for any real reason, possibly to gain "life experience" considering Gary was in UCD before I got there seven years ago and still has not completed and undergraduate course. It sickens me to hear USI talk about jobs when a fair majority of them have never had to live in the real world.

Hypothetically, If Jack O'Connor was a member of the Fianna Fail party what would SIPTU's position be on anything? Now what if a Fianna Failer was head of USI ......

So you admit Fine Gael and Labour would persue pretty much the same actions as we have? Everyone has to act in the national interest and stop the petty point scoring

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement