Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support former UCD SU president Gary Redmond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

So you admit Fine Gael and Labour would persue pretty much the same actions as we have? Everyone has to act in the national interest and stop the petty point scoring
    And thats why everyone should vote SF!

/runs away

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

So you admit Fine Gael and Labour would persue pretty much the same actions as we have? Everyone has to act in the national interest and stop the petty point scoring

Id rather vote for a party that will fix the mess you shower of filth have got us into using tough measures than succumb to criminals trying to save the country from their policies that landed us in this mess. I also know that Fianna Fail still practice the dirty back scratching politics that makes a joke of democracy.

Also is this thread about Gary and the USI or about Fianna Fail and may I also add that you did a good job of ignoring my entire post save one line despite the fact that I put a lot of thought and effort into it.

I doubt you will be around boards for long, you can take it as a indicator of your future political career.

PS: We are acting in the national interest, hopefully by voting out Fianna Fail when your leader listens to the calls of the people and finally calls an election. But that would be democracy and Fianna Fail have shown themselves not to really care too much about that/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

Not my forum but Hi Gary!!,

By the way, why would you disown students taking part at the dail and ministry demos?

What has USI done? organised a stroll up to the dail? increased your own salary and reduced the welfare position to part time?

What about Conan's (VP) remarks at the trinity debate about fees?

Actually I cant be bother questioning further. Gary Redmond is a self promoting hack.

Has anyone seen the facebook page dedicated to pledging support for him? last time i checked it has 12 fans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

I'm surprised this troll thread is still going. Let it die. Everyone in here knows Redmond is a douchebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

I'm not going to post on these boards anymore if all ye are going to do is blame Fianna Fáil for everything. You'll be blaming us for Ireland not qualifying for the World Cup next or saying that we are to blame for the global economy going into recession.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

unknown13 wrote: »
    As I was walking by the DoF shortly after the incident happened. You could clearly see a number of their big red banners outside it. A few of their members were even arrested in the DoF. The SWP were involved in that failed sit in.

Sorry, I know they were there, obviously. I'm talking more in the line of which group have more 'undesirables' than the other. In that regard, Eirigí and Ógra Sinn Féin (yes, they were there) have by far more 'undesirables' than SWP. SWP are just a bunch of resistant 'hippies' (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I'm not going to post on these boards anymore if all ye are going to do is blame Fianna Fáil for everything. You'll be blaming us for Ireland not qualifying for the World Cup next or saying that we are to blame for the global economy going into recession.

Yes because clearly Fianna Fáil have been subject to totally over-the-top media coverage and are actually totally innocent of any if not all accusations put forth by the opposition, even accusations put forward by people in their own party.

C'mon ... you can't be that naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I'm not going to post on these boards anymore if all ye are going to do is blame Fianna Fáil for everything.

Right fine g'luck. Take your rose tinted glasses with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Gary always struck me as a person who was a few clowns short of a circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 talleyrand

it does look likely that he will contest the next USI Presidential Election.

• Advertisement

talleyrand wrote: »

And we should give him the opportunity to complete his good work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

And we should give him the opportunity to complete his good work

Thought you werent gonna post anymore??

tossing_off_big.gif

talleyrand wrote: »

And because student politics is dominated by who can get you onto the ever important guest list in D2 rather than actual issues and voted on by people who have never had to live in the real world & work like the rest of us he will win and the student lobby will be as ineffective & self gratifying as it always is.

The entire thing is a piss take popularity contest and thats why no one in the real world really gives a toss what students have to say about anything...ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

Grimes wrote: »

The entire thing is a piss take popularity contest and thats why no one in the real world really gives a toss what students have to say about anything...ever.

So...by frequenting this thread, you yourself either don't live in the real world or are a hypocrite.

Dwaegon wrote: »
    So...by frequenting this thread, you yourself either don't live in the real world or are a hypocrite.

I am a recent graduate of UCD and was fairly involved in the world of student politics while there, now I am out of college. So I think that gives me and some others on this forum a perspective from both sides of the fence.

Strangely enough some people leave UCD and then go and find work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Just to summarize my thoughts on this whole issue:

Redmond has been hypocritical many times over the past few years

The UCD SU is a closed circle, wastes money left, right and centre and is not producing many tangible, positive results for students

Lots of people have become pitch-fork yielding anti-FF zealots. Suit everybody better to campaign against the political system that gave us these problems.

Anybody that thinks things would be much different had FG or Labour been in power is in fantasy land. Reading their comments, election pledges and Dail comments since 1997 is proof of that

Just to summarize my thoughts on this whole issue:

Redmond has been hypocritical many times over the past few years

The UCD SU is a closed circle, wastes money left, right and centre and is not producing many tangible, positive results for students

Lots of people have become pitch-fork yielding anti-FF zealots. Suit everybody better to campaign against the political system that gave us these problems.

Anybody that thinks things would be much different had FG or Labour been in power is in fantasy land. Reading their comments, election pledges and Dail comments since 1997 is proof of that

I agree with some of that. Where were all these fanatical anti-FF folk 3 years ago? They didn't ask any questions when we had full employment and low taxes. In fact most of them probably supported government policy. Now with the benifit of hindsight they were against FF all along and saw this crash coming:rolleyes:

In the 2007 elections Labour and Fine Gael promised big tax cuts and increased spending. There were the really irresponsible ones and now they pretend to be the voice of the people and that they were warning everyone all along about the economy and banks. Show me where in the 2007 election manifestos that Fine Gael or Labour called for more banking regulation?

I agree with some of that. Where were all these fanatical anti-FF folk 3 years ago? They didn't ask any questions when we had full employment and low taxes. In fact most of them probably supported government policy. Now with the benifit of hindsight they were against FF all along and saw this crash coming:rolleyes:

Lets just ignore the farcical mess that has been made of the attempts to deal with it? Seriously why are you still here can you not just please ... please go away. It was funny now you are just tragic.

One more time, has this thread anything to do with Gary Redmond and USI. Please take the time to answer this one question.

If this continues to be a thread about how great/terrible the Fianna Fail party are it should be locked or renamed and moved to politics imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

Strangely enough some people leave UCD and then go and find work.

...HOW??? :D

• Advertisement

One more time, has this thread anything to do with Gary Redmond and USI. Please take the time to answer this one question.

If this continues to be a thread about how great/terrible the Fianna Fail party are it should be locked or renamed and moved to politics imo.

This thread was started to defend Gary Redmond from slurs by anarchists and extremists. It has nothing to do with Fianna Fáil. Some posters just seemed to bring it up because of my username.

Dwaegon wrote: »
    ...HOW??? :D

by doing exams and graduating :D

This thread was started to defend Gary Redmond from slurs by anarchists and extremists. It has nothing to do with Fianna Fáil. Some posters just seemed to bring it up because of my username.

There was nothing about Gary until you started it :confused:

Plus if people are not allowed to discuss the preformance of their representitives on an open and popular discussion site without being branded anarchists and extremists well that sir dosnt really conform with freedom of speech.

Do all members of the Fianna Fail party disagree with freedom of speech, are you a representitive of the Fianna Fail party on this forum?

Do you represent Gary Redmond, Is Mr Redmond opposed to freedom of speech outside of USI congress?

Believe me, it's not just so-called anarchists and extremists. Probably more like 2/3 of UCD. (Or more, the other 1/3 probably couldn't give two shits).

I also doubt Gary Redmond gives a crap what is posted about him here so I dont see why you have to take the "leave Gary alone" stance. I knew Gary and in the past I worked with Gary, Im sure he understands that critcism is par for the course with the political position he is in and I know that Gary wouldnt stoop so low as to brand those who disagree with him as anarchists and extremists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

USI is ineffective and a talkshop for students not really in college for any real reason, possibly to gain "life experience" considering Gary was in UCD before I got there seven years ago and still has not completed an undergraduate course. It sickens me to hear USI talk about jobs when a fair majority of them have never had to live in the real world.

Is that true? WTF has he been doing for the last seven years? :confused:

I also doubt Gary Redmond gives a crap what is posted about him here so I dont see why you have to take the "leave Gary alone" stance. I knew Gary and in the past I worked with Gary, Im sure he understands that critcism is par for the course with the political position he is in and I know that Gary wouldnt stoop so low as to brand those who disagree with him as anarchists and extremists.

I think I know him better than you. And yes people should be allowed to criticise their leaders and representatives but setting up facebook pages and online campaigns personnally attacking someone is a low blow and I'm confident the majority of students are better than that.

I think I know him better than you.

Good for you! So you are saying that he is low enough to brand people who critcise his actions as anarchists and extremeists. Then why should he be supported? I would have thought you would have agreed with me when I supported Gary's character.[/QUOTE]
    And yes people should be allowed to criticise their leaders and representatives but setting up facebook pages and online campaigns personnally attacking someone is a low blow and I'm confident the majority of students are better than that.

I havnt seen anything like this but I dont see why people shouldnt be allowed to. If someone puts themselves in a position of public representation they are judged by the people in whatever way the people see fit. It may be a bit mean but thats life .... grow up and get over it. Do you think Herr Cowan comes along on boards moaning about people saying bad things about him because he is unable to do as his job demands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dave! wrote: »
    Is that true? WTF has he been doing for the last seven years? :confused:

He was in my class in 2nd year CS (2005/06).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement