Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

info requried on baking/sugarcraft courses in limerick

• 03-01-2011 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, would anyone know of any classes/courses on baking/icing/sugarcraft going on in Limeric? I do some home baking but just want to be able to finish my cakes better!!Already know about the Kitchen Range course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 barrigone

hi, im from limerick too and would love to know aswell -have you heard of anywhere yet?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nccakes

Hi Barrigone,
    The only one I've found is The Kitchen Range Shop, in catherine street, limk. They are running classes in baking and sugarcraft begining in feb I think...1 nite a week for 6wks 2hrs long for 240e! Cant remember if starting nxt wk or in feb. Give them a call, they're in the book! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cherry cola

Hello

I have been looking for a course like this for ages. I think the one in the kitchen range is a bit expensive considering I have found courses in Cork and Tralee for €120 and I also find the shop very expensive too. There seem to be sugarcraft courses all over the country I can't understand why there seems to be so little choice in Limerick.

hi, I totally agree, it is quite expensive...i've bought items on line way cheaper than in store up to 50% on some items! Have you done any courses and if so what would you recommend!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

+ 1 or should it be - 1 on the price of items too. its v difficult when you are limited on places to shop but if i have time to wait for stuff to come from the net then id prefer to wait than pay way more in store.
    in saying that tho TK MAXX is like a big treasure chest - went out yesterday morning and got beautiful vintage style scales for €9.99, PME butterfly cutters (2 pack) €3.99 & cake boards with cake box €5.99-i know that is expensive for just 1 board & box but im keeping them for a special occassion :D
    They also had a PME Garrett frill cutter & PME crimper, which i didnt buy, i know i will probably regret that but i had to be sensible :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hi,
    You can be lucky alright in TKmax!! I'm looking for an icing turntable/lazy susan if anyone knows where i might pick up a cheap one?

Up until now I've only be doing the baking and cake decorating as a hobby I haven't done any courses and have just been picking up tips from blogs and online tutorials. I would love to do a course though. Recently friends and family have been asking me to do cakes and I have orders for confirmation, commuinion, birthday and a baby shower. I tend to order most of my stuff online, not sure if I am alowed mention sites on here but you should try ebay for the lazy susan. Showgirlrita I was in TKmaxx as well today and had to be sensible too. I got a wilton piping set and some daisy cutters and a cake tin for almost half what I've seen elsewhere.
    There is a place out in Kilaloe called the wooden spoon and she mentioned on facebook she was thinking of running a cake decorating course if there was enough interest in it. I'm going to give a ring tomorrow and see if they are going ahead with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭phormium

Got a tilting PME turntable in TK Maxx few weeks ago for 35E. Very good value.

Those combined boards and box sets are in HomeStore and More, tons of sizes, no dearer than TK, in fact I think they were cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

nccakes wrote: »
    Hi,
    You can be lucky alright in TKmax!! I'm looking for an icing turntable/lazy susan if anyone knows where i might pick up a cheap one?

I use the lazy susan from IKEA with one of their place mats on top. Cheap & cheerful.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?query=lazy+susan
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/50132456

• Registered Users Posts: 25 barrigone

Regarding the courses, on the facebook group site "irish cake decorating and sugarcraft" there is a lady providing one day workshops with debbie brown and maisie parrish (world renowned sugarcraft professionals). these are 1 day courses in dublin - on in march and may.
    Here is her email it if helps:
    Grainne Mac Clancy: grainne DOT macclancy AT yahoo.co.uk

Mod note: Email address edited

• Advertisement

thanks for that barrigone I have applied to join that group on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 martin bren

Hi,
    Sorry to say but classes are sadly lacking here in Ieland. We attend classes in the UK ie. PME, SK etc. The quality of the teaching environment the Tutors from all over the world can't be beaten and the fun we have on the trips is mighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hi,
    Sorry to say but classes are sadly lacking here in Ieland. We attend classes in the UK ie. PME, SK etc. The quality of the teaching environment the Tutors from all over the world can't be beaten and the fun we have on the trips is mighty.

To be fair most people doing this as a hobby can't afford to pay for flights, accommodation, the courses themselves etc in the UK.

Hi,

Sugarcraft is a very very expensive hobby. In order to learn the latest ideas there are very many people from Ireland who attend the classes in the UK because there is nothing available here. An eight hour day course is well worth investing in and having attended several day courses where we go in the morning and come back the same day we are now hooked and compelled to learn more on 3 Day or weekly courses which by the way are booked out months in advance.

It doesn't have to be an expensive hobby, I do it professionally and have spent very little on it, a few basic tools that are good all rounders (not cutters that cut out just one item/shape, endless shaped tins etc) and a few bits of equipment. Any hobby can be expensive if you let it be! I do also think that all these expensive bits and pieces take a lot of the skill and talent out of the art, anyone can pop something out of a silcone mould.

If people have the money to be going to the UK then of course that is a great way to learn, but I am currently in the process of setting up courses and the majority of people are looking for something around the €50 mark for a few hours, it's only an expensive hobby if you buy all the gadgets and equipment that only serve one purpose each, most of them are just clever marketing by the larger companies selling them, I have feck all equipment and do just fine. Everybody I'm sure would like to go on a week long UK course but it's not exactly the financial situation most are living in.

I am self taught so I can't comment on how good any courses are.

Also most people interested in doing courses are just home hobbyists, including the OP of this thread, so as I said they don't want to be forking out a load of money on a beginners' course.

Hi,

We are talking two different type of classes as you are self taught. The classes in the UK are by professional Tutors and you receive your recognised Certificate at the end of the Master Classes. Having experienced the classes first hand they are fantastic and given by the world leaders in sugarcraft as seen in the monthly Cake Decorating Magazine.

Yes but what I'm saying is the majority of hobbyists are beginners, like the OP, and don't want to invest in a UK 5 day course, even if it is by professional tutors :rolleyes: For sugar flowers I understand it as they are an art form in themselves and would definitely need to be taught by a professional, but for handmade figures/general sugarcraft etc it is a bit extravagant for most hobbyists. The more modern cakes/sugar art are moving away from the traditional flowers and designs and onto personalised figures, freehand shoes, contemporary designs etc. and actually, a lot of the top cake artists are self taught!!

Nice way to insinuate that I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm self taught btw, some things need a certain degree of natural flair, not everything can be taught, a certificate doesn't automatically qualify you.

Anyway, this is gone totally off topic now. I will shortly be organising classes in Galway, if anyone in the Limerick area is willing to travel to Galway feel free to PM me and I can give you information.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 miket

Hi any info on course would be greatiful. My wife would be very interested.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

There was one in villers before Xmas. Give them a ring

Advertisement