Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD arts economics sociology?

Options
  • 03-01-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Is sociology a difficult subject? I am in 6th year now doing higher level English getting high D s or low C s? Will I struggle with this course???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Ricky92 wrote: »
    Is sociology a difficult subject? I am in 6th year now doing higher level English getting high D s or low C s? Will I struggle with this course???

I think I've just pissed myself laughing.

I shouldn't think so, but sociology requires 'work'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If you give a shít. It isn't that hard. If you don't give a shít and never turn up to Lectures or Seminars you will fail miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Yeh, what others said, just do the work.
    I would be more worried about economics, if you were worrying about anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ricky92

Was thinking of doing straight out economics.Thought it might be more of a better degree or is this not the case....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Was thinking of doing straight out economics.Thought it might be more of a better degree or is this not the case....

Are you good at maths?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Sociology has a lot of continuous assessment, which makes it hard to fail, however, if you want to do well in the subject, it requires work. As with many arts subjects it's easy to scrape by with a mediocre, degree, but if you want to do well you've to put in the work. Do the readings, attend lectures and seminars and you should be fine.

Economics is quite difficult. I did it for Leaving Cert and did it in first year in Arts, they are completely different. You need to have quite a good understanding of maths for it, as the quantitative economics module is quite tricky if you haven't done honours maths. However, again if you attend lectures, go to your small groups and do the weekly assignments you should be fine. Macro and Micro economics have no seminars, you just have 3 lectures a week, so you need to keep yourself motivated to do the work.

Yah just left higher level maths this year. :[ But pass is just taking the piss so I'm quite good at the maths. By the way what did you get in Economics LC and maths???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If you are doing pass maths I would advise against doing Economics as a single major. The maths may be very difficult if you fail to grasp honours at LC.

Yah just left higher level maths this year. :[ But pass is just taking the piss so I'm quite good at the maths. By the way what did you get in Economics LC and maths???

I got an A2 in pass maths and a C1 in honours economics in the leaving. It seems to be a love it or hate it subject at university level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I did pass maths for the leaving cert, did up to intermediate quants in second year and took Financial economics and Advanced Macro in final year and got through them all without ever having to repeat.

Its all doable and with work you should get through fine/do well.
    I would say the single major in economics might expose your maths ability or lack thereof a bit more though.

It is possible to take very few maths intensive subjects in the joint major in economics, you just have to work out what's what.

If you are purely concerned with the grade in your degree at the end and you aren't particularly strong in maths, there are probably easier subjects to get higher grades in (e.g. history, geography).

• Advertisement

No dont get me wrong I'm very good at the maths I want to do something in investment or banking after I graduate. I only left higher level so I can focus on my other subjects. But anyways am I able to switch to pure economics after my first year of arts if lets say I hate sociology? :confused: I am doing my CAO in the new few days so all advice is welcome :]

Yeah you can apply to the school of economics at the end of first year.

thanks guys. I am still putting down trinity as my top spot bess! :p screw ucd :P UCD will still be second

Advertisement