Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fedor vs Antonio Silva, February 12th

• 03-01-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

As reported by Sherdog: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Emelianenko-Silva-HW-Tourney-Slated-for-Feb-12-29152

My money's on Fedor. I can't see any reason why he shouldn't win this fight

Barnett vs Arlovski also being worked on, but given that Barnett has to go before the California State Athletic Commission and convince them that he has undergone rehab after his positive steroid test when he is still saying that he doesn't have to rehab because he never took anything, that might be hard to put together right now

Werdum vs Rogers is expected for March as part of Strikeforce's heavyweight tournament

Dave Meltzer is also reporting that Overeem is expected in the tournament

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Great news, really hope this happens now. Looking forward to seeing it confirmed :p

Barnett/Arlovski would be a good first round match up, much better than the Arlovski/Overeem one that had been rumoured. I take it that if Overeem is in the tournament, then Kharitonov won't be? I'd nearly prefer if Overeem was left out of the tournament and the winner of the tourny fights him? It'd mean Overeem being left on the shelf a bit too long though, or being fed another can in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Barry SeanScoil

QUATERS SEMIS FINALS

FEDOR
    _ _ _ _
    SILVA

OVEREEM
    _ _ _ _
    WERDUM

ARLOVSKI----_ _ _ _
    KHARITONOV--
    BARNETT
    _ _ _ _
    RODGERS

This is has being confirm as the brackets for the tourement, let me remind people Fedor has never lost a touement he has entered.
    I'd love to see fedor v overeem in the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

let me remind people Fedor has never lost a touement he has entered.

He entered the RINGS King of Kings 2000 tournament and didn't win that

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Barry SeanScoil

Peronally i wouldn't consider that a loss,The fight was stopped due to a cut 17seconds into the 1st round and the cut was caused by an illegal strike and because it was a tourement some1 had to advance and Fedor was unable due to the cut, so Kohsaka was let continue...
    Werdum was the only person to beat Fedor.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Fedor lost only once - to Werdum.

He should have no problem with Silva.

The only guy I can see giving him trouble is Overeem.

• Advertisement

The main card has been set, all heavyweight fights -

HW GP Round 1
    Fedor Emelianenko Vs Antonio Silva
    Andrei Arlovski Vs Sergei Kharitonov
    Alternate Bouts #1 and #3
    Shane Del Rosario Vs Lavar Johnson
    Valentijn Overeem Vs Ray Sefo
    Heavyweight Bout
    Chad Griggs Vs Gian Villante

Some potentially very exciting fights there. They all seem to be very competitive on paper. As far as I know, you can pay Showtime around 25 quid for an official stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

I know its not very likey but it would be weird if the two Overeem brothers ended up meeting!

Really shows how much heavy weight talent there is outside the UFC. I think there are more interesting fights in this GP than will be in the UFC heavy weight division all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

With every one of Fedor's last 5 or so fights, I've bee anxious beforehand, thinking is this the time Fedor finally loses?

When you build an "unbeatable reputation" like he did, it brings a lot of pressure with it. I remember when BJ Penn beat Matt Hughes the first time and Hughes commented afterwards that he was relieved that the pressure was off him after being a dominant champion for such a long time.

I expect Fedor to come back refreshed and super-motivated. I think he'll take down Silva with his trademark punch and grab takedown and will then proceed to TKO Silva with his brutal GnP.

I know its not very likey but it would be weird if the two Overeem brothers ended up meeting!

Valentijn is not part of the Grand Prix. He's just on the fight card.

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Valentijn is not part of the Grand Prix. He's just on the fight card.

The winner of his fight will be the third alternative, so he could end up being in the GP. First alternate is the winner of SDR/Lavar and the second is alternate is a "secret", according to Coker.

• Advertisement

Jayo_M wrote: »
    The second is alternate is a "secret", according to Coker.

I bet it's Bobby Lashley! :D

SanoVitae wrote: »
    I bet it's Bobby Lashley! :D

Doubtful, Lashley is practically a free agent at the minute although Coker claims they still have some rights to him. Rumours are that he's basically finished with MMA and is heading back to pro-wrestling.

Advertisement