Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any information on Building near Tenters

Options
  • 03-01-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I wonder if anybody can throw any light on this building which is almost adjacent to the Tenters Pub. Loooks like there might have been a quasi religious use for the building at one time.

Cheers

Denis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I walk past it from time to time and I think there might be an inscription/writing on it somewhere.

edit: Actually, it might have been in that space at the top of the archway; it looks like it's been stroked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I think its called Tenter House, possibly built by a man called Thomas Pleasence in about 1814....though im not 100% and would like to know for sure, I walk by it every day, my mothers from the area...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've a feeling it was an orphanage or other charitable building. In fact I thik it appeard early on in the 'Dublin City Picture Game' thread

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

It's what's known as a "Dutch Billy", and is probably from the late 1600's or so (despite the much modified exterior). Loads of info about it in this thread on Archiseek (starting at the bottom of page 1)

http://archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6813&hilit=eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Folks,

Many thanks for the leads. Dont think I will be ever able to look at a building the same way again. Inspiring link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Walked past that for 6 years every day going to school and never knew a a thing about it, thanks for that link A Disgrace, 24 pages though.:)

Advertisement