Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another lost cat post! But just looking for advice.

• 03-01-2011 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

We lost our cat yesterday. Problem was, it was miles and miles away from our home, in a place that he'd never been next or near to. He could never find his way back. Completely opposite side of town. He was scared by a dog and fled out of my arms. It was in the countryside, so not in the town, but lots of shelter around nonetheless.

I've gone out constantly since, calling him, but no joy. No sign, no mewing. I've looked everywhere around I could access. I've left his bed out there and clothing of ours in it. He's not neutered or chipped yet (had an appointment for that next week, ironies of ironies).

My question is, what else can I do? We've no photo as he's obviously young and we'd just never snapped him, so can't put up flyers (besides, it's away from residential areas anyway).

Last time he was scared by a dog he stayed away from home for days, so this is a big scarey thing for him. But everyone is saying to me "Forget about it - you'll never find him, he'll be OK, he's an outside cat so he'll manage OK, you're wasting your time".

Should I realistically be downsizing my hopes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would get a bag of sand, a bowl & some food. Spread the sand out & wet it. Then place the bowl of food in the middle. Come back as often as you can & check the food. The pawprints will tell you if a cat has been there because a dog/fox print will have claw marks whereas a cat will not. Now you will have no idea if it is your cat but keep feeding every day & at about the same time.

Hopefully if hang around & hide - make sure you are well away, you may see your cat eating. Then either gradually get it to accept you or borrow a cat cage trap for your local SPCA. Also leave some posters around with a description & phone number just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Bet he'll return home.
    I had to leave my cat at my parents house, about a mile from my home, and he had never been there before.
    But he made his way home, across a busy road, that he had never travelled.
    Cats hate moving, and love their own patch, and i wouldn't be surprised if he lands home, keep and eye out for him, and keep us posted.

Advertisement