Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Students and rent allowance?

• 03-01-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, here's the situation.
    I'm a third level student and so is my girlfriend, we're both on the Back to education allowance.
    I'm living at home and she's renting a room in a shared house. We both don't claim rent allowance, but if we were to rent an apartment together, would there be any chance we could claim rent allowance?
    We could possibly get by on just the btea, but it'd be a huge pinch.

The reason i'm looking into this is so that she can get outta that house, as she's living with 4 polish people, all more than 10 years older than her. She may aswell be living alone tbh. Also, if i live away from home, independant of my parents i'll be able to get a larger grant in the next term year. Just to be honest like :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

You will have to be renting for 6 months before you will be entitled to rent allowance, as you live at home you won't be entitled to it but you gf may all depends how long she has been renting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 scentedcandle

Yes, you can definitely get rent allowance on BTEA.
    If the two of you are declaring living together, your rent allowance will be less than if you were alone though, however the rent limit is also less.
    Your BTEA could be reduced aswell, look in to that one.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Also, you're in Lucan, Dublin, and allowance rates go by county
    (Dublin having the highest rate allowed for example as rent is the most expensive).
    However this rate means that you can only rent a place that is NO HIGHER than what they 'expect' the rent should be.
    The rent limit for a couple with no children in accomodation in Dublin is €800 (you cant have a place for €810).
    Again, this means an apartment/house rent CAN NOT be costing you more than €800 a month...
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx

Below is the newest review of allowed rent rates for each county and for different categories of people (living alone, shared, couple ect)
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Policy/ResearchSurveysAndStatistics/Documents/rentreview2010.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Much appreciated scentedcandle, i'll move forward with my plan by contacting the local offices etc.

tyvm :)

Also, do consider getting a place for around €600 if possible because obviously it will not only save you €200 a month but the rent allowance will be the same rate paid to you anyway, no matter HOW much the rent itself is or what you have to back it.
    This I am almost certain of.

Your girlfriend - as Gustafo said, they usually seek that you have been renting out of your own expense for 6 months. If she hasn't been, tell her stick it out until then!
    And don't forget http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses_to_rent/
    they're the biggest.
    Try get a place without an agency involved (private and single owner buildings are best if you can find them - they don't charge the fees that agencies do, agents are getting around €80 a month on average out of your rent).
    Also, bear in mind that many agents turn their noses up at the sheer mention of rent allowance - you will not hear back from them.
    But it must be done that you go see places anyway and meet them
    IN PERSON and afterwards broach the subject - as you are both in college that's a huge advantage than for anyone just on the dole doing nothing else.

Finally - you must have more or less got or are being garaunteed a place before you can approach the HSE for rent subsidy and DO NOT say you would 'like to move out of home'
    - rent allowance is meant to be for people who are IN a place they can't afford anymore and they normally prefer if you have a deposit paid, but in some instances they contribute towards it.
    they need to see that you have found a place suitable to your needs and within the rent limits.
    You also have to have registered with City Council Housing Office to put your name on the list.

Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 arsenalia

Hi guys, heres my own situation. I am a 23 yr old male, i have finished a 3 year course in college last year. i was renting accomodation during all these period in college, bu technically i still come bk 2 live with my mam wen im on hols. Im finished now nd im still living with her, i had a part time work 4 the last 2 years, finished in sep nd im awaiting JB decision. Im still waiting on supplementary allowance since applying on 20th dec nd im stuck 4 cash badly. Now i hav already gone 2 d citizen info nd they told me only ppl in dire need will get assistance 4 rent allowance . Does nybody hav a clue wat i should do at this stage because most of the applications i make are based on my mother's earnings who is on diasbility allowance, nd this is probably why tings are getting delayed 4 me. So should i go and apply 4 rent allowance nd get my own hse? will i be given the rent allowance? do i qualify? .. these are the questions bugging me head now as my ma will be moving from our present location in few weeks time 2 another area 4 a 3 bedroom! i dont no wat 2 do! Any suggestions will be much appreciated tnks!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

OP, I'd suggest you go to your Community Welfare Officer first to confirm that you are entitled to rent supplement.
    Technically, you get to keep your additional benefits when you go on the Btea - if you were not getting it prior to your course, you could be told where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

My understanding was that you can't claim RA unless you're claiming JA first...which you can't do if you're a student.

Snubbleste is right...check with your CWO first.
    Only they can give a definitive answer, though whether they'll grant it or not is another story.

Scentedcandle.....did you ever receive rent allowance yourself before?

Scentedcandle.....did you ever receive rent allowance yourself before?

Yes, I did, why?

Advertisement