Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christening

Options
  • 03-01-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

We are christening our baby soon,i am the father of the child,i just want to have godparent and the parents of child at it while the mother of the child wants to have all her family,we are not together and i would just prefer a low profile christning,what do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Why do you not want anyone at the christening op?

Traditionally, (without getting into the religious reasoning), a christening is the first celebration after the birth, for all the family to get together etc. If you're not with this girl, I doubt she'll agree not to have her family there, to suit you. If you don't want to mix with these people, then why don't you just go to the church and leave after that - you don't have to go on to the celebration afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi op I would agree with fittle if you are not comfortable with a big celebration just leave after the church. Whatever you do though dont start to argue about it, you will have many differences of opinions over the years and if ye start out rowing ye will likely continue to do the same every time ye disagree over your childs upbringing. Compromises are going to have to be made on a regular basis recognise that and deal with it appropriatly, your ex is not your enemy she is the mother of your baby and is going to be in your life for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Well i think if the mother wants her family at the christening that's completely normal.
    I'm afraid i think you are going to have to suck it up.
    Is there any particular reason OP that you want to keep it minimal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

cannon man wrote: »
    We are christening our baby soon,i am the father of the child,i just want to have godparent and the parents of child at it while the mother of the child wants to have all her family,we are not together and i would just prefer a low profile christning,what do ye think?
    I think someone needs to compromise. In the overall scheme of things its not a big deal, a few weeks after the christening you'll have forgotten all about it. However, you and the mother are now parents and you need to accept that you might not always agree on everything regarding how to bring up your child.

Personally OP I think you need to decide which issues are worth fighting for and which aren't. Considering your ex has recently given birth and is probably scared yet incredibly proud of her new child and is experiencing so many new things I think you should concede on this and let her have the christening that she wants so she can be the proud mum and show her baby off to her family. Afterall thats probably all she wants to do by inviting her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Choose your battles. Dont let this become one. Its not a biggie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies,i have never met her family so it would be very awkward at christening,maybe i will just go to church as you said.

Advertisement