Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union Or Bank

Options
  • 03-01-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

Ive been with/am with my local credit union years. But the amount of dividends you get and being told for the last three weeks that they are coming next week, has me questioning staying with them. As we speak I have a Current Account with bank of Ireland, which I use for general banking/credit card.

I am wonder what step to take next. I don’t work and I am a mature student still living with the parents. But I save as much as I can and would like to see some return on these saving’s.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Full list of lump sum deposit account options:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=102329

You will get a better return in a bank than in a CU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks, time to break out my old business study knowledge from school.

Hopefully the margins aren't to different and I can stick with the BOI and save moving direct debts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

stay with who you know, admitadly you are not getting great dividends, but the cost of banking will reduce the interest difference, most importantly who has cost the country the most, the banks or the credit union, actually it is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

flutered wrote: »
    stay with who you know, admitadly you are not getting great dividends, but the cost of banking will reduce the interest difference, most importantly who has cost the country the most, the banks or the credit union, actually it is a no brainer.

See its on one hand your lucky to get around 1% from the cu. Then as you say what happened/is happening with the banks. Then there's the dirt tax on both. All in all there isnt many clear cut options. I know everyone says the cu is great for loans, but then I don't get loans.

Its enough to make you start thinking, time to make mattress filler out of my money and leave some in the bank for bills etc.

Advertisement