Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scuba Newbie

• 03-01-2011 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey Guys complete newbie to the diving world but have decided that i wanna give it a try.

Am looking for information of anyone who can help..
    -Is there clubs i can join in my area im nth side of dublin.. Ive heard rumors
    about a club in Alsaa but dunno if its true or not.
    - What is the prices of classes like
    - Can i get certified as a diver and how long would it take

Sorry if it's been asked before had a glance over a few threads and really couldn't find any of the answers i was looking for. Any help would b apprenticed. Much love B.D
    :D

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

The club you refer to is Aer Lingus Divers & there is a contact number on the website as to whether they are running a training course this winter;

http://aerlingusdivers.com/

As they are affiliatated to CFT(Irish underwater Council)

http://www.cft.ie/ you could also contact them(CFT) telling them where you are located & they can put ypu in touch with clubs in your area. Ring them-I have always found them very helpful.

PS Good luck Diving!!

Benny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Iceman aka Bobby Drake

Hey benny cheers for that found the CFT site very helpful
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

there are plenty of clubs north side and south side and there are a few city center , depends on what suits you . where you live and work

airlingus is a very well know club and has fantastic instructors . they hav a few boats and compressors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Hey Iceman,

As the lads said a club is one option, they take you on and train you with theory class sessions and then practical sessions in a pool or similar. This is a good way to learn as your surrounded by people who are motivated to dive regularly. Club fees differ but can seem expensive at first but what you have to remember is that you;ll be getting training material, insurance (most likely) and the use of club equipment.

Having said this, some people dont like clubs for their own reasons and so dive outside a club situation.

The second option is through a dive centre/school, where you pay your money and they train you but when your finished your on your own and have to find dive buddies and/or hire boats etc etc

Both have their upside & downsides but its probably depends on how much time you want to input in the hobby, a club will take up more of your time but the rewards can be better.

Just my two scents worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Iceman aka Bobby Drake

The second option is through a dive centre/school, where you pay your money and they train you but when your finished your on your own and have to find dive buddies and/or hire boats etc etc

Both have their upside & downsides but its probably depends on how much time you want to input in the hobby, a club will take up more of your time but the rewards can be better..

Hey man thanks.. from the 2 options i would prob prefer the 2nd option! Heading away for the summer so would b good to have like a cert an all so wont havta do all that over there.

Can i ask tho.. price wise which would b better value! like was reading up and i think it was Portmarnock Dive Club dat cost 400 something to become a member of.. alil to pricey cause im also doin other sports at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

thats about the norm . just make sure to ask if that includeds your insurance / cft fees

our club is paid out monthly by direct debt . and we arrange fees in 2 ways to include or not to include this fee/insurance .

if you are a student ask about student rates , we have them :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

[QUOTE=Can i ask tho.. price wise which would b better value! [/QUOTE]

It really depends on how much you dive. If you want to go every weekend and don't have diving friends I would say a club is the way to go. If you are just going to be an occasional/holiday diver maybe PADI is the way forward. Pros and cons on both which you will find plenty of threads here:)
    The initial outlay on gear is expensive either way. It can be rented initially so i would recommend you make sure you are going to keep diving before such a large investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 yannick1

Yo. I defo would recommend learning to dive in Ireland. That way you will have extra eperience in those streneous conditions. Although i never dived in Ireland while i lived there, i later did my fist course in cold cold vancouver waters! It was a great experience.
    All my othercourses i did in the warm tropics though and i would recommend it to everyone! Diving there is as much an experience as it like being in a warm bath with tonnes of big fish around you!

<<Removed by mod>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

alil to pricey cause im also doin other sports at the mo.

We had another guy that took on training with us in our club, but like you he was into another sport and never really had time to do diving with the club. Not sure how intensive your other sport is, but something to think about. Maybe doing diving on a schedule that suits you would be better, rather than compromising with a club or missing days because of your other sport.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

Try adventurediving.net they are based in Bettystown, 20mins from Dublin airport.

They are well set up and have their own pool purely for diving, not like most clubs that use public swimming pools!

I dive with them regularly and they are great, loads of trips away plus local shore and boat diving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement