Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Shovels in January!??

Options
  • 03-01-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I know you will think I am mad given the lack of snow in Dublin but anyone any info on where you can get snow shovels in the Dublin area at the moment? All the usual haunts are sold out and don't seem to plan on getting any more in until it snows which will be a bit late!
    Thanking you in advance, E

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Yes, you are mad. Most likely all sold out, or still very expensive, wait till summer and then stock up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

argos sell one called an "AVR Shovel" worked great for me last time.

Regards
    Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mrs Mop

Baumans in Stillorgan?? I got a great folding shovel for my car in Halfords! I'd say we'll need them before the month is out!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Homebase have shovels for €12 that look like this

http://www.drivall.com/fencingtools/snowshovel.htm

None in stock last week but staff member said more were due soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭De Bhál

elcollins wrote: »
    I know you will think I am mad given the lack of snow in Dublin but anyone any info on where you can get snow shovels in the Dublin area at the moment? All the usual haunts are sold out and don't seem to plan on getting any more in until it snows which will be a bit late!
    Thanking you in advance, E

Loads for sale in Homebase in Gullivars Retail Park, Santry on Friday.
    I think they were 13 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Better off with a spade, you can break up and dig out ice and compacted snow. Shovels aren't so good for that. Thin spades of course are hard work because you can't shift much snow with them.

I got this nice wide spade during the break in the snow in December. It worked great foro clearing the snow and ice before Xmas:
    http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=8198&loc=P&catid=102.15.5

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

seamus wrote: »
    Better off with a spade, you can break up and dig out ice and compacted snow. Shovels aren't so good for that. Thin spades of course are hard work because you can't shift much snow with them.

My best recommendation is to have both - a decent snow shovel (also sold in this country as a grain shovel) for moving newly fallen snow quickly, and a spade for chipping off and moving ice and compacted snow.

We got a "grain shovel" from Woodies in Lucan after the first cold spell, and it's like magic compared to using a spade to clear fresh-fallen snow; it took me about a quarter of the time to clear the driveway, and I had time and energy to do the neighbours' as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

when the election comes - just keep a couple of posters of your "favourite" politician.

The duraboard they use is brilliant at clearing even areas of snow and they're the perfect size too!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

91011 wrote: »
    when the election comes - just keep a couple of posters of your "favourite" keep your snow shovels at the door to give the politicians a few clatters.

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Got myself a decent spade from local DIY shop at the height of the last madness! All B&Q's, Woodies, Homebase, Argos etc were sold out (believe me I checked).

It's a bit big for lugging around in the boot though, so I'm after one of these foldy yokes for the car, look decent, worth €20?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

gleep wrote: »
    It's a bit big for lugging around in the boot though, so I'm after one of these foldy yokes for the car, look decent, worth €20?
    They're camping shovels really. Good in a pinch but you wouldn't want to be using it for clearing a driveway. Handy to have in the boot alright, but snow socks would be just as effective for getting you out of a jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 elcollins

Thanks a million for all your help. Got a grand one in Homebase!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If you clear the snow and have ice underneath get some dishwasher salt-only 95c for a box in Lidl,great for melting the ice and cheaper than buying the dedicated stuff they have on sale now (which is essentially the same stuff only 3 times the price)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

elcollins wrote: »
    Thanks a million for all your help. Got a grand one in Homebase!

Which homebase was it? I tried fonthill today and nothing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 elcollins

It was Fonthill I am afraid! They had about 10 left on Monday but must have sold out.

Advertisement