Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankie Boyle

Options
  • 03-01-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Was hilarious but has shot his load.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

I love and I mean LOVE crude jokes and stuff but even I was like :eek: when he came out with the joke about Jordon last month ha ha jesus the thoughts of it how could he say that ha ha ha god yeah I must like him cause I'm currently both Cringing and píssing myself laughing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

Defined hilarious
    Now defines funny to unfunny....

Tramadol Nights?? Really? those sketches are terrible comedy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Used to love him on MTW but as I became desensitised to his stuff, I have found he's had to get more extreme. In the process, he's not really that funny anymore, since he's fallen into the trap of "shocking for the sake of being shocking".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He hosted "...Buzzcocks" recently and was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Hilarious but a ****. Some of the stuff he says about the softest of soft targets is indefensible. In general, any comedian cracking jokes about Susan Boyle's appearance is not someone who's doing anything good for the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

He's great. Very sharp and quick wit.

He can take it too far sometimes though ... Some of his more recent jokes reeeeally push the boundaries of taste! ... I can imagine that only makes most of his fan base appreciate him all the more though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

he's a cnut.

but a funny cnut and great live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

He's great. Very sharp and quick wit.

He can take it too far sometimes though ... Some of his more recent jokes reeeeally push the boundaries of taste! ... I can imagine that only makes most of his fan base appreciate him all the more though :pac:

I agree. He's very, very sharp. He's also fearless in his material and doesn't seem to have any no-go areas. That's brilliant in many ways but sometimes his targets are far too soft, which undermines the justification for his whole act. The Rebecca Adlington thing was a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

And the vegetarian option.......

You can fcuk off!!:pac:
    Cracks me up every time.

As another poster said though,he's shot his load,that new series is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Can I just ask where people have seen his quick wit on show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

I like Frankie Boyle, think he can be very funny.

But maybe all the recent scandal stuff can be traced back to the Brand/Ross > Daily Mail > BBC > Mock the Week clampdown.

Boyle, I felt, was giving two fingers to censorship in general, culminating in Tramadol Nights.
    He tried too hard to shock though, forgetting about decent punchlines.

But without doubt, he was the sharpest wit on Mock. Hasn't been the same show since.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My opinion of him has dropped quite a bit. I have a pretty dark sense of humour at times so his type of comedy certainly appealed to me and his first stand up had me in absolute bits. The type of thing you had to keep rewinding because you were laughing so much at some jokes that you missed others. It was brilliant. He also kicked ass on mock the week. His latest stand up while having some great bits in it some of it just seemed to be offensive and controversial without actually being funny. Didn't see tramadol nights but heard that it was more or less the same. Controversial and offensive but without the comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

amacachi wrote: »
    Can I just ask where people have seen his quick wit on show?

I don't think I can even explain why I found it so funny, but the episode of Mock The Week where he kept insisting that someday all our capital cities were going to rise up on hydraulic legs to fight each other had me in bits. Further, as somebody else noted, he was in great form on Buzzcocks a while back.

So yeah, I'd say he was amazing, and could be again, he just needs to back off from shocking just for the sake of it and remember to be funny first and foremost. Tramadol Nights was terrible, but I think he still shines when he has somebody to spar with.

His book is **** too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Thought he was great on mock the week. Seen him live and thought he was very good. I think tramadol nights was very hit and miss. Most of the sketches were cringy except maybe the Michael Knight one which i thought was hilarious. I think he is shocking just for the sake of being shocking now. I see him as a left leaning liberal kind of person but his comedy can jump from left to right and people aren't sure what he means and what he doesn't.
    He seems to just want to push his comedy to see how far he can go. I think he has an extreme hatred for censorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

DamienOB wrote: »
    His book is **** too

I thought it was very good.

I thought it was very good.

Really wasn't.... Repeated stories/repeated jokes/**** stories too
    Couple good bits, but 80% of it was him been drunk/stoned and was not funny at all

Sure 1 chapter, he used an AIDS joke 4 times, on 4 separate occassions. Ok Frankie, we get it, you couldnt think of anything else....

It had no structure, and the whole story of how he got his big gig was brushed over on like 2 pages... Terrible read

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think he's vastly overrated and his material is pure shock-value and generally unfunny.

He was good on Mock The Week having random contributions but his live show was just difficult to watch. Spending most of the show abusing the public wasn't exactly ground-breaking material (wow you were able to abuse someone for 10 minutes calling them a gypsy, how long did it take you to write that) and the nearly all the rest seemed to get a reaction from the crowd because it was "taboo" more than "funny". He has some genuinely funny material but it seems few and far between. The reactions around me at his gig were more of the "oh my god he's so funny, calling that guy a fat cúnt for so long" then "wow that was intelligent humour". It was almost like clique culture where people seemed to just enjoy others being humiliated, but fair enough there's clearly a market for it.

I have a few friends who like him and clearly people here like him too but I just can't get any joy watching him when he trades off offending people, he's more of a shock-artist than a comedian in my eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

Always thought he was the funniest on mock the week, his first DVD was epic. Some classic jokes in it. Sadly the second DVD was a bit of a let down. Ok but nowhere near the same standard.

Watched the first Tramadol Nights and didn't watch another. When he has other funny people around him, he is brilliant (mock the week, buzzcocks). On his own less so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thenageone

hes a genuinely funny guy, i dont really rate him as a comedian. this is because with his own stand up material (granted i have only seen bits and pieces) is just offensive joke after offensive joke. theres no contrast, whereas when hes on a panel show, hes about 100 times funnier, but thats because hes at such a stark contrast to everyone else whos on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

I like him. I love how he takes shots that you wouldn't expect. He was really good on mock the week and an excellent host both times on Buzzcocks. He should actually consider becoming a permanent host on Buzzcocks(if they'd have him!!!).
    As far as taking things too far, thats simply a matter of personal taste. I don't know why, I'm probably just psychologically unstable, but I didn't get offended when he took shots at Katie Price or Kerry Katona. However, I was really offended when I saw Family Guy taking shots Michael J Fox. I don't know why some celebrities getting ripped offends me, and others I couldn't care less about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Absolute genius, haven't heard/seen a comedian as good as him in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

I loved him on mock the week but Tramadol Nights was an awful mess. Book wasn't the greatest read either I think Frankie should go back to another show like mock the week he excels in the company of other comedians

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

I LOVED him on mock the week, but everything he did after he left the show in my opinion has been a disater

• Advertisement
Advertisement