Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debs dresses

• 03-01-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭

daughter invited to debs - wants to hire a dress or buy reasonably priced one. anyone got ideas where to get something without spending a fortune. Clare or Limerick area. No doubt she'll hit me for the high costs when its her own debs later one biggrin.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

you should check out the Ivory Closet in Limerick.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/theivorycloset
    http://www.theivorycloset.com/
    You can rent and buy their older stock at reasonable prices.
    I've heard good reports from there.
    Hope your daughter enjoys the debs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pagey

i have a debs dress to sell for a reasonable price!i also live in Clare and had my debs two years ago,my sister had a second debs this year and she a got a wear out of mine. its an ivory strapless dress size 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dietgirl

i have 10 debs dresses from a closed down shop, €70-€100 Galway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi Dietgirl,

Welcome to boards, thanks for offering to help the Op out, I'll leave your post up, I would recommend that you setup an ad on adverts.ie to help you sell your dresses, fair more suitable that through threads such as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

TK Maxx in Limerick would be the best bet in my opinion. Always mobbed with young wans buying party dress sort of stuff.

I buy 75% of my clothes there myself. Although I think the mens section is probably a bit better than the womens because most men hate rummaging for ages so there's better stuff left over to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

http://www.facebook.com/ForeverYoungUnique

There are some gorgeous dresses here.. I know many people who have got their dresses there. Maybe a bit too dear though.
    Hope your daughter has a good time at the debs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pedroThePirate

deb = debutante

Websters' dictionary:

debutante |ˈdebyoŏˌtänt; ˈdebyə-|
    noun
    an upper-class young woman making her first appearance in fashionable society.

ORIGIN early 19th cent.: from French débutante (feminine) ‘leading off,’ from the verb débuter.

:D

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This seems to have gone mad ....... did anyone see the tv prog of the primary school kids in the UK having their 'debs'?

All the trimmings ..... hair, clothes etc etc ...... and even large limos and one lot in a horse drawn buggy!

I must admit to having a very negative reaction to the spectacle ..... made me want to knock some sense into parents and teachers ..... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Hardly exclusive to debs. You see eejits overspending and getting themselves into debt at xmas, weddings and the like the whole time. Never saw the point in paupering yourself for a year over one occasion.

My leaving cert class had one but only a handful of people went. Rest of us went to the pub and drank what we would have spent on suit rental and tickets instead. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

tks for help - got sorted for the grand price of less than 60e delivered from ebay, Simple and very elegant. Can't go too far wrong with that price. The overhype that goes on is certainly not the norm here anyway, they not having a limo (its taxi by Dad), and she does the tan/hair/makeup herself. There will always be people who for the overkill and excess for weddings, debs, communions, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sparticus78

tks for help - got sorted for the grand price of less than 60e delivered from ebay, Simple and very elegant. Can't go too far wrong with that price. The overhype that goes on is certainly not the norm here anyway, they not having a limo (its taxi by Dad), and she does the tan/hair/makeup herself. There will always be people who for the overkill and excess for weddings, debs, communions, etc.

I was just about to post to say to try ebay so delighted to hear you got sorted there! I am an addict and have bought SO much stuff off it - in saying that I was only thinking the other day I have so many dresses etc that I could start selling on it myself and make some money back - you can get some great stuff and great bargains too ! hope your daughter appreciates your efforts :)

Advertisement