Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beautician ripped off skin on my face

Options
  • 03-01-2011 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'll try keep this short if I can.

On Friday, I went to a small salon in Coolock to get my eyebrows waxed. I've been going there every few months for about 2 years with no issue.

This time though, the girl waxing my eyebrows took off a lot of skin.

What happened was, she waxed, and stopped waxing and did a fair amount of my brows through plucking. They always pluck the strays away so although I realized she was plucking more than they usually do, I figured that everyone has different ways of doing things and didn't worry. Afterwards, they usually put cold cream on, to remove the wax. she did this, but then removed the cream and put another thick layer on (which I realize now was to cover the bleeding). She showed me my brows in a mirror, I couldn't see the bleeding or cuts under the cream so was satisfied, although my brows were a little uneven.

I paid, gave a substantial tip and left. I immediately got on a bus into town, and then straight onto a bus to Louth. While on the bus, I decided to check that my make up was ok. I immediately saw that the skin where I had been waxed was cut and bleeding in 5 places. I have no camera on my phone (it's broken) but immediately Googled the phone number for the place and rang, but couldn't get through. I was in Louth for the weekend, arriving home tonight. I didn't have access to a camera to take photos, but have taken one now, although the cuts are starting to scab now.

I tried calling the place twice more over the weekend, but no answer. I presume it was closed because of New Year.

So, how should I go about complaining about this? It's not that I want my money back or anything, but I believe something should be done about the terrible wax job that I got. I really can't believe that skin was ripped off in so many places. I understand that once in a while, a tiny bit of skin will come off with the wax, but it should not have happened in 5 places :eek: I'm unsure how to deal with this, and want to be polite about it. Any ideas on what I should say and what I should be expecting as an outcome?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

all depends on what you want .... if you want them to apologise (and maybe offer some free treatments)

they might tell you to get lost ...they might offer free treatments as an apology.

(you may be so upset that you may not want treatment again at the same place......you may have lost trust/confidence in the staff.....I dont know)

if they do not wish to apologise ...what do you do next ? - goto a solicitor and sue them ? for what? negligence

(I've seen similar cases which resulted in visits to a solicitor and eventual court case ...some successful, some not successful)

there are people out there who are just waiting for the opportunity to run off to a solicitor - in general they claim to suffer adverse reactions because there was no patch tests etc, some were waxed twice in same area (which apparently is a no no), some were claiming nightmares, nausia and embarrassment at going out in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Thanks for the response :)

Tbh I don't want free treatments, money back or to go to a solicitor. The only situation in which I'll seek legal advice is if I am scarred from the cuts, which doesn't seem likely, thankfully.

I guess what I want to know is why somebody who can't do a simple procedure like waxing eyebrows is working in a beauty salon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They ripped hair out of your face, you paid and left a ''substantial'' tip so you must have been happy with what you saw. You only noticed they ''ripped off skin'' from your face because you wanted to check your make up, not because you were in pain or anything like it.

I personally think you should quit with the melodramatic thread titles, forget about this ''incident'' and move on with your life. Unless of course you need skin grafts to sort out those scars! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

They ripped hair out of your face, you paid and left a ''substantial'' tip so you must have been happy with what you saw. You only noticed they ''ripped off skin'' from your face because you wanted to check your make up, not because you were in pain or anything like it.

I personally think you should quit with the melodramatic thread titles, forget about this ''incident'' and move on with your life. Unless of course you need skin grafts to sort out those scars! :rolleyes:

Did I imply anywhere in the thread that I was in pain from the cuts? Saying I made a melodramatic title is a bit ridiculous, since the title describes in one sentence what happened. As to the "you must have been happy with what you saw" statement, please read my OP. As I already stated, I could not see the cuts as there was a thick layer of cream on my face. If you think my thread is inappropriately titled, please contact one of the mods. I believe dudara, jor_el and a few others mod here. No need to take a rude tone because you don't like my post.

For the record, I'm not unhappy because the cuts caused me pain, as they didn't. I'm unhappy as I now have to walk around with unsightly cuts on my face, when there was no reason it should have happened in the first place. Why should I just forget about it when the job I paid for wasn't done properly and I'm left to walk around with scabs on my face?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Not sure if Magicmarker has had their eyebrows done before but afterwards your eyes can be numb from the hair pulling and/or some salons also use a lotion to numb pain for a while. In addition to this eyebrow plucking/waxing can leave your eyes naturally puffy and watery afterwards.

For these reasons it can be hard to see or feel mistakes by beauticians for a while afterwards.

Cuts on your eyebrows can sting and be irritated when applying make-up or other products so have I have some sympathy for the op.

Women often give tips in beauty salons as a routine as you spend some time alone chatting to some one getting a one and one service for 15min plus- not that this should justify a tip alone but thats how tips often come about in these circumstances.

Anyway...op, no it's not the end of the world but I think give them a ring and let them know what happened at least and take it from there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Of course you are entitled to your money back if the person didn't use due care/requisite skill. I don't know anything about eyebrow waxing but if they made a mess of it you should approach them as soon as you can and complain. It is as simple as that. You shouldn't "put up with it" if the quality of the service was so poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Yet more posts with this bloody attitude (not referring to the OP btw) :rolleyes:

I think in this case you probably would've needed to point out the problem before you paid and left but if I was in your position I would definitely still make a complaint. There are far too many people working in beauty salons who have no proper qualifications to administer treatments aside from on the job, "shadow" training. Make a formal complaint to the salon's manager and hopefully they will take the appropriate steps to deal with the complaint and the person responsible. Hopefully you won't be left with any permanent marks on your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - you definitely need to get in touch with the salon and make the complaint. It may be a little too late, but even so, it needs to be done.

Nothing will change or improve unless you register your disatisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If you went to get a haircut, paid, left and then found they had shaved a swastica in the back on the back of your head would you be upset ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you went to get a haircut, paid, left and then found they had shaved a swastica in the back on the back of your head would you be upset ?

So lets make a comparison by using somthing thats completely different and in no way the same?
    Nice.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

OP How big are the cuts on your face?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

Cabaal wrote: »
    So lets make a comparison by using somthing thats completely different and in no way the same?
    Nice.
    :rolleyes:

No, but i think it's clear from the original post that the beautician covered up her work with cream so the cuts weren't immediately noticeable.

Just because you don't notice a bad job immediately doesn't mean the person who did the job is free from responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Op I can totally understand what you are saying when you say you didnt notice it. When i get my eyes done, my other half calls me a battered wife as it does redden up and aggravate sometimes

I mean, in a salon, brow waxing must be the most common treatment so its a bit scary to think there is a beautician mangling eyebrows in there. I suppose to ring them and let them know and maybe request a refund when you present yourself to show the scabs?

Advertisement