Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wood burner in a glasshouse

Options
  • 03-01-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

would it be a ok to use a small wood burner in a glass house for starting seeds early or would the fumes kill them ?:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

would it be a ok to use a small wood burner in a glass house for starting seeds early or would the fumes kill them ?:cool:

With the proper flue you shouldn't have any fumes inside a "building" or enclosed space..
    However I would imagine you'd need a more constant heat source (Wood burning stoves would i believe give off too extreme in temperatures )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Buy a heated propagator, much simpler and easier to maintain the correct temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

ok thanks propagtors can be to small i would need heat in the whole glass house to have a lot of things going on at the same time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It won't really work, you need to raise the soil temperature not just the air temp.
    Thats how propagators work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You could try heat mats too.
    Or indoors on a double radiator. Or a hot press if the seeds don;t need light to germinate. Or on a window sill. Place the trays in plastic bags will help too.
    You are only looking for approx 21 degrees for most seeds and once they germinate they can do with lower temps. You should be able to raise plenty of seed around the house in a few flats and cheap propagators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

You could try a Paraffin heater.There is some on ebay for 55 euro.

Advertisement