Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU benchmarks are up.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

EDIT: Looks like the i5-2500K is the gaming sweet spot CPU for around €200 or so. For that you get a four core chip well capable of reaching 4Ghz +
    My i5-750 has been doing that for ages. :pac:

Still, new shiny things are new and shiny. Expect them to be outdated in a month or two! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I'm a serious tech enthusiast, and even these chips can't bring me to part with my Core i7 920. At 8 threads and 4Ghz, I think I'll wait for a more radical change in technology before I pick up a new CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I'm curious, how much of an actual upgrade would this be from a IP35 based motherboard with a Q6600?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Strange, my i7 860 at the same oc speed as that i7 is faster. Shouldn't be the case. Oh well.

As for the Q6600 difference, in gaming you could expect as much as 40-50% in performance increase in recent games (as long as you dont have a low powered GPU). In terms of encoding/decoding it's miles faster. I know myself since I upgraded from the Q6600 this time last year. It's easily twice as fast as the Q6600, even when it was overclocked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I think I'll wait another while before upgrading so, I was going to get the i7-950 but these results would suggest that I'd get better bang for buck with the i7-2600k.
    Anyone know when pricing becomes available for this side of the water??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

That i5 should make a nice upgrade from an ip35 motherboard with an E6750 anyway!

I have a feeling my credit card limit is going to be breached quite early this year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

roast wrote: »
    I'm a serious tech enthusiast, and even these chips can't bring me to part with my Core i7 920. At 8 threads and 4Ghz, I think I'll wait for a more radical change in technology before I pick up a new CPU.
    EVEN THOUGH the i7-2600K runs stable at 8 threads and >4GHz, it along with the other chips released this week replace Lynnfield (LGA 1156). Your chip's day of reckoning comes in 10 months.

I've seen some people running it stable at over 5Ghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm planning my first cpu / mobo / ram upgrade in 3 years.

Sold my Q6600, mobo and ram for €350. What a legendary chip that was. Amazing value for money, and still very little slowed it down. I expect a 2600k or 2500k will last me just as long.

Lots of places apparently have stock of sandybridge, but they can't sell for a few days yet. Rumours circulating now that intel may allow sales of the new cpus tomorrow.

To me sandybridge looks remarkable. Intel have been on a great roll since the first c2d. I still hope AMD can at least compete if not retake the speed crown this year.

Now, where to buy my mobo / cpu / ram...

I see overclockers.co.uk have the categories added for the new mobos but no sign of any products yet. Anyone see anywhere that had the retail prices for some of the new mobos??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

dont see the hype new mobo and cpu not going to be cheap. i upgraded to the 875k overclocked to 4.2 on air not a bother ht enabled really happy .also dont you need to buy the k-series in these new chips for them to overclock well

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

AFAIK you need to get a K-series CPU AND the more upmarket P67-based mobos to OC at all :eek: You have to use the unlocked multiplier, you can't OC via mobo bus speed as Intel tied the PCIe and SATA controllers directly to the single clockgen (which is now on the CPU die itself!). A 5% increase in bus speed will cause the SATA controller to royally s*** itself :o

Also, the non-Extreme Edition LGA1155 chips are useless on LN2 as they max out at 5.7GHz :p

Solitaire wrote: »
    AFAIK you need to get a K-series CPU AND the more upmarket P67-based mobos to OC at all :eek: You have to use the unlocked multiplier, you can't OC via mobo bus speed as Intel tied the PCIe and SATA controllers directly to the single clockgen (which is now on the CPU die itself!). A 5% increase in bus speed will cause the SATA controller to royally s*** itself :o

Also, the non-Extreme Edition LGA1155 chips are useless on LN2 as they max out at 5.7GHz :p
    is that a dig at my 875k sol the cheek:D:D

AFAIK you need to get a K-series CPU AND the more upmarket P67-based mobos to OC at all :eek:
    There will be a Z68 chipset released in a couple of months. It's basically a H67 and P67 hybrid.
    Also, the non-Extreme Edition LGA1155 chips are useless on LN2 as they max out at 5.7GHz
    5.98GHz if you're lucky ;)

I have a curious question which, oddly, I haven't seen mentioned in any reviews. What if you can boot from a PCIe SSD? See where this is going? . . .

For those of us still on socket 775 it's an ideal upgrade, best bang for buck at the moment in the Intel range. It would be pointless to upgrade from an i7 processor to Sandy Bridge, best to wait until the 1366 replacements come out later in the year.

I have a curious question which, oddly, I haven't seen mentioned in any reviews. What if you can boot from a PCIe SSD? See where this is going? . . .
    An outrageously high credit card bill... :p

massy086 wrote: »
    is that a dig at my 875k sol the cheek:D:D

Um... no :confused:

You could raise Bclk to the dizzy heights of 110MHz? :pac:

You're forgetting - CPU, memory, SATA and PCIe all use the same clockgen on LGA1155 :p

Um... no :confused:

You could raise Bclk to the dizzy heights of 110MHz? :pac:

You're forgetting - CPU, memory, SATA and PCIe all use the same clockgen on LGA1155 :p
    Doesn't the PCIe/uncore still have it's own multiplier/divider? It worked with Lynnfield.

AFAIK all the buses still used discrete clockgen(s) on Lynnfield, including PCIe.

Only "divider" on Sandy (aside from memory of course!) is the 1/3 divider for PCI :p

Oh yes! That's right, in BIOS there was a separate clock for PCIe. My point was that overclocking the PCIe seemed to be more robust in terms of how far you could go before data corruption. The SATA bus is the weak link for sandy bridge. If we don't use it, we remove the weak link.

• Advertisement

posted on fb
    MemoryC.com
    Coming soon - G.Skill Ripjaw X Series for Sandy Bridge based motherboards. Watch this space!
    Expected into stock on Friday this week.

whats this all about dont tell me it needs special ram too

It doesn't. Same spec as Lynnfield.

Yup. <1.66V, up to DDR3-1333. Why the heck didn't they finally add DDR3-1600 support?!? Now unless you get a K chip your RAM is eternally locked at 1333MHz banghead.gif

posted on fb
    MemoryC.com
    Coming soon - G.Skill Ripjaw X Series for Sandy Bridge based motherboards. Watch this space!
    Expected into stock on Friday this week.

There'll probably be plenty of manufacturers marketing ram aimed at the new boards but you're fine with any dual channel ddr3 kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Just wondering do any of you know if sandybridge will support triple channel ram on some boards? Just wondering as have a spare 6gb so could be tempted to upgrade my htpc if could use it all.

Found some prices for the socket 1155 mobos: http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=mbp4_1155&sort=p&xf=#xf_top
    Don't know how accurate that is but it looks about right.

Also on hardwareversand.de: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=1600&search.reset=1&search.sKey=

I like the look of the Asus Sabertooth P67 and the price :D

AFAIK only the LGA1366 replacement will do triple-channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i have just ordered an i7-950 should i have held off or is there much of a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Skerries wrote: »
    i have just ordered an i7-950 should i have held off or is there much of a difference?

Don't worry. It's fine. If you MUST HAVE THE SHINY NEW THING OMG!1111!!!!!!!:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:!!!!!!!!!!!! send it back and buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What a sexy board

Does want

Advertisement