Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU benchmarks are up.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Mad as a bag of cats, and kind of affordable too! I think I'm in love

Think I've already made up my mind about what I'll get for my next upgrade now;
    i7-2600K (might as well go all out!), ASUS Sabertooth P67 and 8GB DDR3

Guess I'll just have to get a new gfx card to go along with it as well:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Prices are up overclockers.co.uk for the new processors, i7 2600k is listed at £280 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Prices are up overclockers.co.uk for the new processors, i7 2600k is listed at £280 :(
    The i5-2500k is the bad boy you want though. At 190, it's the i5-7** of this generation.

The i5-2500k is the bad boy you want though. At 190, it's the i5-7** of this generation.
    I was considering it but I do a lot of folding and the 2600k would be a better option plus I'll probably keep it for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Some rough German prices at 19% VAT avail from Jan 9th apparently

Core i7 2600K - 309€
    Core i5 2500K - 219€
    Core i5 2500 - 209€
    Core i5 2400 - 189€
    Core i5 2300 - 184€

Core i3 2120 - 139€
    Core i3 2100 - 119€

Very odd pricing

36 euros between 4 models.. not much of an incentive to buy the lowest one out of the four

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Saadyst wrote: »
    I'm curious, how much of an actual upgrade would this be from a IP35 based motherboard with a Q6600?

Think of it as going from a gameboy to a sony psp. It's pretty huge.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Some rough German prices at 19% VAT avail from Jan 9th apparently

Core i7 2600K - 309€
    Core i5 2500K - 219€
    Core i5 2500 - 209€
    Core i5 2400 - 189€
    Core i5 2300 - 184€

Core i3 2120 - 139€
    Core i3 2100 - 119€

Very odd pricing

36 euros between 4 models.. not much of an incentive to buy the lowest one out of the four

I don't think intel really care, all of the CPU's are exactally the same, just slightly different speeds and a unlocked multiplyer. Which ever people buy they still make money on them.

I don't think intel really care, all of the CPU's are exactally the same, just slightly different speeds and a unlocked multiplyer. Which ever people buy they still make money on them.
    Any hints on prices? think you'd manage to beat the likes of HWVS+shipping for, say, a cpu + mobo + ram?

At the moment i can only see the prices we buy them in bulk from a vendor in quantaties of 5/10/20/50/100 etc etc. And i cant really comment on how much we will be selling them for retail at the moment, but it should be very competitive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I was leaning towards the 2600k, but I may settle for the 2500k. May not be much difference when overclocked with the apps I use anyway.

I have money, but personally I think €300 euros for just a cpu is expensive.

Considering you can get a ps3 for that money or an xbox with kinect...!

Last time I bought mobo / chip / ram for myself, it was a q6600 with ip35 and 4 gigs ram. Back when cpu's were €150 and motherboards were around €90. Hardware has gotten expensive, has no one noticed?

• Advertisement

I'm the kind of person that likes to buy the best hardware I can afford because I don't upgrade that often. I'd still be interested in the 2600k even though the price is a little higher than expected.

Komplett: Will you guys have prices up on the 9th??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Okay... now things are getting even more confusinating... some of the the board partners are hedging their bets over Sandy by making P67 mobos... for LGA1156.

Wait, whut?! :confused:

Solitaire wrote: »
    Okay... now things are getting even more confusinating... some of the the board partners are hedging their bets over Sandy by making P67 mobos... for LGA1156.

Wait, whut?! :confused:
    Makes sense. It's essentially the same chipset with SATA 3 support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

roast wrote: »
    I'm a serious tech enthusiast, and even these chips can't bring me to part with my Core i7 920. At 8 threads and 4Ghz, I think I'll wait for a more radical change in technology before I pick up a new CPU.

Look how wrong you are. In serious applications we disable hyperthreading because it gives a decrease in performance. Enthusiast != knowing anything about what they are paying for.

Many "enthusiasts" know that all too well. About the only time a lot of us would get much use out of an i7's HT is protein folding, we'd be forever switching the blooming thing on and off! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Praetorian wrote: »
    I was leaning towards the 2600k, but I may settle for the 2500k. May not be much difference when overclocked with the apps I use anyway.

I have money, but personally I think €300 euros for just a cpu is expensive.

Considering you can get a ps3 for that money or an xbox with kinect...!

Last time I bought mobo / chip / ram for myself, it was a q6600 with ip35 and 4 gigs ram. Back when cpu's were €150 and motherboards were around €90. Hardware has gotten expensive, has no one noticed?

You are going for the top or second from top chip.. its not too bad really

It would've been like going for the q6700 (before the big price drop) or extreme version which were bloody expensive as I remember

If there was a pc with a 65 euro tricore AMD and another with the 2600K, I think we'd struggle to see the difference visually in anything other than heavy encoding, etc.

I mean I have 2 pc's side by side, one is an old core2 and the other is a fast AMD quad overclocked, the difference in everyday browsing and gaming is barely noticeable

The biggest noticeable difference in any PC is the addition of an SSD

All that said.. i really want one of these chips... must.. resist.. dont.. even.. need.. it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hi guy's could someone explain to me please a little about this ' Sandy beach' processor. I'm less than clueless about this type of thing and am currently trying to educate myself as i'd like to build my own pc.
    Firstly am i right in saying it is intels newest processor?
    I will be using my pc for basic office files, databases etc
    and for Gaming. Will this processor do the job.( i assume it will)
    And lastly what is the processor actually called? is it part of the i7 range or what should i be looking for.

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi guy's could someone explain to me please a little about this ' Sandy beach' processor. I'm less than clueless about this type of thing and am currently trying to educate myself as i'd like to build my own pc.
    Firstly am i right in saying it is intels newest processor?
    I will be using my pc for basic office files, databases etc
    and for Gaming. Will this processor do the job.( i assume it will)
    And lastly what is the processor actually called? is it part of the i7 range or what should i be looking for.
    Sandy Bridge is simply the code name for the architecture inside the chips. i5, i7, etc are just labels to separate the chips into different performance categories - i5 has four cores only. i7's have four cores and eight threads. i3 only has 2 cores and 4 threads.
    If you're building you PC you need to determine, if you need i3, i5 or i7. Then what speed you desire. After that, some processors offer unlocked multipliers(with better integrated graphics) or low-voltage versions.

I think that's as simple as I can make it to start off. You're aim should be not to spend big bucks on something that you don't need. Why get an €300 i7 when you only need a €150 i3, right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sandy Bridge is simply the code name for the architecture inside the chips. i5, i7, etc are just labels to separate the chips into different performance categories - i5 has four cores only. i7's have four cores and eight threads. i3 only has 2 cores and 4 threads.
    If you're building you PC you need to determine, if you need i3, i5 or i7. Then what speed you desire. After that, some processors offer unlocked multipliers(with better integrated graphics) or low-voltage versions.

I think that's as simple as I can make it to start off. You're aim should be not to spend big bucks on something that you don't need. Why get an €300 i7 when you only need a €150 i3, right?

Partial lies. Do your homework :P Not all i5s are quads

Overclockers.co.uk are officially selling them now: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18226565

Processor prices aren't to bad but some of the motherboard prices are crazy high!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Me, I will be keeping my trusty i7-920 for at least another year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Hopefully Intel will release an OpenCL SDK soon which will allow people to use the Sandy Bridge GPU.

Most people won't have any use for it as a GPU, but an additional OpenCL core would be nice. :)

Partial lies. Do your homework :P Not all i5s are quads

Ah yes, I see there will be one ultra low voltage core that will be 2+2 hyperthreaded. I thought for sandy bridge they had cleared that up.

Hardwareversand's prices are up now: http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=1617&search.reset=1&search.sKey=

I honestly though the 2600k would be cheaper than that but it's looking like that's the going price :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Hardwareversand's prices are up now: http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=1617&search.reset=1&search.sKey=

I honestly though the 2600k would be cheaper than that but it's looking like that's the going price :(

Any experience in dealing with their online shop? Is it safe to order from them?

Yup, they're a good crowd albeit a little slow to ship.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Yup, they're a good crowd albeit a little slow to ship.

Any other shops? I added four items, all "ready for dispatch but I don't want to wait two weeks...

Komplett sucks a balls and overclockers.co.uk don't want my money (can't pay by both credit cards, and paypal ;/)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

kucyk wrote: »
    Any other shops? I added four items, all "ready for dispatch but I don't want to wait two weeks...

Komplett sucks a balls and overclockers.co.uk don't want my money (can't pay by both credit cards, and paypal ;/)

Scan.co.uk have them showing in stock.

After 10 minutes of playing with overclockers.co.uk finally placed an order for the following Sandy Bridge toys:
    Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz
    Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67
    G.Skill RipJaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7

Can't wait! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

kucyk wrote: »
    After 10 minutes of playing with overclockers.co.uk finally placed an order for the following Sandy Bridge toys:
    Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz
    Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67
    G.Skill RipJaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7

Can't wait! :D

Enjoy your new toys :)

Advertisement