Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU benchmarks are up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

game4it70 wrote: »
    Enjoy your new toys :)

I will and post here OC results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

kucyk wrote: »
    I will and post here OC results :D

*makes mental note to avoid this thread as to not throw toys outta pram from jealousy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Sandy Bridge is simply the code name for the architecture inside the chips. i5, i7, etc are just labels to separate the chips into different performance categories - i5 has four cores only. i7's have four cores and eight threads. i3 only has 2 cores and 4 threads.
    If you're building you PC you need to determine, if you need i3, i5 or i7. Then what speed you desire. After that, some processors offer unlocked multipliers(with better integrated graphics) or low-voltage versions.

I think that's as simple as I can make it to start off. You're aim should be not to spend big bucks on something that you don't need. Why get an €300 i7 when you only need a €150 i3, right?

Hi thanks for the explanation. Which would you recommend for my needs,as i mentioned i will be using it primarily for basic office programmes,internet browsing and gaming. In regards to the gaming i would like something that i will get a few years out of (graphically i mean) will one of the i3's or 5's suffice. The new i7 2600 seems pretty pricey at over 300 quid. So if i can save a few quid there i'd be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

weiland79 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the explanation. Which would you recommend for my needs,as i mentioned i will be using it primarily for basic office programmes,internet browsing and gaming. In regards to the gaming i would like something that i will get a few years out of (graphically i mean) will one of the i3's or 5's suffice. The new i7 2600 seems pretty pricey at over 300 quid. So if i can save a few quid there i'd be happy.

The i5 2500k seems to be the pick of the bunch as far as bang for buck is concerned, but would be massive overkill for office apps and browsing!
    What kind of budget did you have in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What's with nearly all the boards having something like Intel 2x6Gbps + Marvel 2x6Gbps + 4x3Gbps? With SSDs fast enough to be restricted by SATA 2 pouring out this year, you'd expect a bit better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

tman wrote: »
    The i5 2500k seems to be the pick of the bunch as far as bang for buck is concerned, but would be massive overkill for office apps and browsing!
    What kind of budget did you have in mind?

1000 euro including keyboard, monitor, mouse etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what are the best mobo and cpu coolers for the SB?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

Skerries wrote: »
    what are the best mobo and cpu coolers for the SB?

None for you since you chose poorly with your old hat cpu and mb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Got my i5 2500k and Asus p67 with 8gb ordered from overclockers (ahead of all the usual stores )...it'll be interesting to compare to my current core 2 duo......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

well with HWVS prices, there is no way you can make an intel budget gaming rig anymore. the i5-760 was just making it into the buget builds finally, and now the i5K + budget mobo will set you back €340++

you need a budget of €700+

pitty really. so any news on bulldozer? dates/anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    well with HWVS prices, there is no way you can make an intel budget gaming rig anymore. the i5-760 was just making it into the buget builds finally, and now the i5K + budget mobo will set you back €340++

you need a budget of €700+

pitty really. so any news on bulldozer? dates/anything?
    With the nice bump in clockspeed though, you don't necessarily need and unlocked chip. A 2500 would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

illumin wrote: »
    None for you since you chose poorly with your old hat cpu and mb :D

i haven't received them yet so i'm thinking of returning the mobo, cpu and cpu cooler
    how easy do you think it would be to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

redman wrote: »
    Got my i5 2500k and Asus p67 with 8gb ordered from overclockers (ahead of all the usual stores )...it'll be interesting to compare to my current core 2 duo......

Please post your thoughts when you get them, I am considering a similar upgrade from my E7500.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

No idea where you bought them from, but returning unopened items is something most shops let you do under the Distance-selling cooling off regulations.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

With the nice bump in clockspeed though, you don't necessarily need and unlocked chip. A 2500 would do.

A H67 + i5 is still blindingly expensive. I think the low-end will be sticking with their Athlon 2's and Phenoms, and the mid-range their LGA1156 quads for some time to come. And by the time they start to dry up there'll be Llano-based Athlon 3's going cheap :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Me, I will be keeping my trusty i7-920 for at least another year.

+1

One thing bugging me about the latest motherboards is USB 2.0 sockets taking up space on them when USB 3.0 is backwards compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Please post your thoughts when you get them, I am considering a similar upgrade from my E7500.

Sure will do, my pc gaming days are past but do some serious video processing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Palit GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1 £225.20
    Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor with FREE Lost Planet 2 PC Game - Retail 1 £150.95
    Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) 1 £122.39
    Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) 1 £29.37
    Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366/AM2/AM3) 1 £29.16
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) 1 £5.49
    Sub Total: £562.56
    DPD Two Day Parcel - Eire & Scottish Islands Shipping: £13.62
    Total Vat: £121
    Total inc Vat: £697.18

Just ordered from OCUK. I picked the same components as one of the bundles they offered, but they charge ~ £40 to do the overclocking for you? Sure isn't that part of the fun, + it doesn't sound very difficult overclocking with SB anyway!

I don't think the 2600k is worth the extra premium over the 2500k, especially for me. An extra 100 pounds, nooo!

Been using 4 gigs of ram for the last 5 years, can't see any reason to go above that now. No software I use requires more, even when I'm doing fairly heavy virtual computing :) Looking forward to this build.

Probably last hardware purchase this year, except maybe a vertex 3 in the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

It seems I can upgrade for about €400, so my E6750 might finally get to retire.

What is the difference between i5-2500 and i5-2500k? Is is just the overclocking possibility in "K"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Polar101 wrote: »
    It seems I can upgrade for about €400, so my E6750 might finally get to retire.

What is the difference between i5-2500 and i5-2500k? Is is just the overclocking possibility in "K"?

The "k" cpu's have unlocked multiplier, and are the only sandybridges that will overclock.

Overclocking instructions =

"We overclocked the i5-2500K by first setting the Load-Line Calibration of the Asus P8P67 to Extreme. We then set the Base Clock to 104.7MHz and the CPU multiplier to 47x for an overall frequency of 4.92GHz. To make this stable, we set the CPU voltage to 1.35V, the CPU PLL to 1.9V, the VCCSA to 1.1V and the VCCIO to 1.106V. See How to Overclock an LGA1155 CPU for more details on how we overclocked all the CPUs"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

When will the price of there other processor come down ? or will they ?

Also will the AMD processors come down in price?

I'm in the middle of buying a AMD rig but i'll wait if there prices are going to come down.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Probably no time soon. Phenom X6 might come down a little but that's it; Sandy is better than most of the current CPUs out there but are also overpriced to a degree so that they don't really clash with existing models, and the low-end is all but unaffected anyways and will stay like that until AMD themselves release the budget refresh (the Llano-based Athlon 3) and it also drops to a lowish price-point, which would finally push the bar across the rest of the industry up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Solitaire wrote: »
    Probably no time soon. Phenom X6 might come down a little but that's it; Sandy is better than most of the current CPUs out there but are also overpriced to a degree so that they don't really clash with existing models, and the low-end is all but unaffected anyways and will stay like that until AMD themselves release the budget refresh (the Llano-based Athlon 3) and it also drops to a lowish price-point, which would finally push the bar across the rest of the industry up a bit.
    When can we expect Llano?

nothing about it at CES i think, besides some APU's..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Only one motherboard at the moment, its a mid ranged board which we have knocked 20 euro off the price. Down from 119 to 99. So far 32 have sold in the last hour :o You can find it at the below link:

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/15_MOBO/02_INTEL/productdetails/20072698/MSI_P67S_C43_ATX_Intel_P67_DDR3/P67S_C43/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Only one motherboard at the moment, its a mid ranged board which we have knocked 20 euro off the price. Down from 119 to 99. So far 32 have sold in the last hour :o You can find it at the below link:

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/15_MOBO/02_INTEL/productdetails/20072698/MSI_P67S_C43_ATX_Intel_P67_DDR3/P67S_C43/default.aspx
    Good stuff. Will you be getting in some nice blue gigabyte motherboards? Their UD2/3/4's were excellent last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

And here are 5 more motherboards due in over the next few days and early next week. Supply of theses is really low at the moment:

20072698 MSI P67S-C43 ATX Intel P67 DDR3 -- P67S-C43 ; in stock
    20072567 MSI H67MA-E45 Intel H67 mATX DDR3 Sandybridge -- H67MA-E45 ; coming in tomorrow
    80001474 MSI P67A-C45 Intel H67 ATX DDR3 Sandybridge -- P67A-C45 ; coming in next week
    20072899 Asus P8H67-M Pro (1155) mATX -- 90-MIBEB0-G0EAY0DZ ; in stock (2pcs), more end of this week
    20072900 Asus P8P67-M PRO (1155) mATX ; coming in next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

And here are 5 more motherboards due in over the next few days and early next week. Supply of theses is really low at the moment:

20072698 MSI P67S-C43 ATX Intel P67 DDR3 -- P67S-C43 ; in stock
    20072567 MSI H67MA-E45 Intel H67 mATX DDR3 Sandybridge -- H67MA-E45 ; coming in tomorrow
    80001474 MSI P67A-C45 Intel H67 ATX DDR3 Sandybridge -- P67A-C45 ; coming in next week
    20072899 Asus P8H67-M Pro (1155) mATX -- 90-MIBEB0-G0EAY0DZ ; in stock (2pcs), more end of this week
    20072900 Asus P8P67-M PRO (1155) mATX ; coming in next week

Are you planning to stock the P8P67 DELUXE or P8P67? Just curious, I probably won't be buying until late February early march.

Advertisement