Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU benchmarks are up.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Yeah we will be getting them in alright. Stock is very low at the moment for everyone though. I've noticed a few websites saying they have hundreds in stock when there arn't even that many in the whole country.

deconduo wrote: »
    So the HD 6950 and the i5 2500K cheaper than HWVS, nice one guys :)

Thanks. You have no idea how much work it was to make sure we were able to get these items in at the right price with enough stock. Also for anyone else reading who is looking for the higher end gaming/enthuiast boards the stock is in single figuers at the moment but they will be coming in over thenext few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Thanks. You have no idea how much work it was to make sure we were able to get these items in at the right price with enough stock. Also for anyone else reading who is looking for the higher end gaming/enthuiast boards the stock is in single figuers at the moment but they will be coming in over thenext few weeks.
    Fair play lads. There's been a few discussions of people with Core2 cpus + DDR3 who'll be interesting in upgrading. No need to buy an entire rig now to make the shipping from abroad worthwhile :)

Especially as we do free shipping too ;)

Especially as we do free shipping too ;)
    /OT is that indefinitely now?

• Advertisement

It's been that way since last April. It was meant to change in November to 7.95 per order, regardless of size (Tv's up to 32") But just speaking to my manager now and yeah, no more shipping fees for anything, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

These benchmarks are making me really excited to see what Bulldozer will be like :)

These benchmarks are making me really excited to see what Bulldozer will be like :)
    It has the potential to be a bigger step forward in terms of graphics than intel's chips. The rest, I'm not so sure about, but we'll wait and see!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It has the potential to be a bigger step forward in terms of graphics than intel's chips. The rest, I'm not so sure about, but we'll wait and see!

You're thinking of Fusion which will be AMDs on die graphics solution (based on their current CPU architecture), Bulldozer is the major architectural facelift.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It's been that way since last April. It was meant to change in November to 7.95 per order, regardless of size (Tv's up to 32") But just speaking to my manager now and yeah, no more shipping fees for anything, ever.

Awesome :D

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    You're thinking of Fusion which will be AMDs on die graphics solution (based on their current CPU architecture), Bulldozer is the major architectural facelift.
    Ah yes, I do apologise! I was getting confused as Fusion is next up from AMD.

Ah yes, I do apologise! I was getting confused as Fusion is next up from AMD whereas Bulldozer will be at least another year!

I think the plan still is Q2 2011 with production to start by April I could be wrong though, haven't checked in a good few weeks.

Your ninja edits are weak :p

I think the plan still is Q2 2011 with production to start by April I could be wrong though, haven't checked in a good few weeks.

Your ninja edits are weak :p
    I just got used to the push backs, ya know :P
    They've been talking about it for years, we'll probably have to wait until Sandy Bridge talk dies down before we hear any more about it and it's final release date.

P.S. you're a moderator, you cheat!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

It won't be that huge. Fusion is just a term that covers all of AMDs APUs; some of the smaller mobile variants aren't that strong graphically as the Bobcat-based APUs have greatly cut-down (HD5430 and HD5550-level) GPUs. The strongest current-gen APUs will be the Llano-based Athlon 3's with a revised CPU and an integrated HD5670-level GPU. The GPU's power will depend on clock speed (IIRC its an architectural clone of the HD5670) but could be almost as strong as a HD4830/9800GT if it had a very high clock speed (possible as it will be a 32nm part) so long as there were no severe memory bandwidth bottlenecks, which sadly there almost certainly will be (unless the CPU had a dedicated 128-bit memory bus linked to a load of GDDR5 sideport, which I strongly doubt!).

If anything its the Athlon 3's CPU that will be more interesting, as it should be a lot cheaper than Sandy without being too much weaker. There are two big unknowns: how much cache the CPUs will have and how much more powerful Stars+ (aka Stars Mk3) is than Stars Mk2 (the current Phenom architecture which competes with Core2 and is inferior to Core-i) per clock cycle - its more than just a die-shrink. Given that the Athlons will all be clocked between 3GHz and the low end of 4GHz it will be interesting to see how close Athlon 3 comes to Sandy, given its the last major Stars refresh before its retired completely - the next generation of low-end and mobile parts after this one (let's call it "Athlon 4" for the sake of comparison) will also adopt a die-shrunk version of Bulldozer. Only then in the 28nm generation will we see a Bulldozer-based product as an "APU", backed up by a (fairly decent) onboard GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Solitaire wrote: »
    If anything its the Athlon 3's CPU that will be more interesting, as it should be a lot cheaper than Sandy without being too much weaker. There are two big unknowns: how much cache the CPUs will have and how much more powerful Stars+ (aka Stars Mk3) is than Stars Mk2 (the current Phenom architecture which competes with Core2 and is inferior to Core-i) per clock cycle - its more than just a die-shrink. Given that the Athlons will all be clocked between 3GHz and the low end of 4GHz it will be interesting to see how close Athlon 3 comes to Sandy, given its the last major Stars refresh before its retired completely - the next generation of low-end and mobile parts after this one (let's call it "Athlon 4" for the sake of comparison) will also adopt a die-shrunk version of Bulldozer. Only then in the 28nm generation will we see a Bulldozer-based product as an "APU", backed up by a (fairly decent) onboard GPU.

If AMD managed to launch a multi core cpu with a built in 9800GT or so gfx, that would the gaming oem market sown up.

General consumers would be back to pre 3dfx days where all you really needed to worry about was what CPU and RAM you had to play a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

what is the story with Sandy Bridge and DRM is it built into the chip?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

uberpixie wrote: »
    If AMD managed to launch a multi core cpu with a built in 9800GT or so gfx, that would the gaming oem market sown up.

That's only if the GPU was run at speeds approaching 1GHz and didn't suffer massive bottlenecks. I somehow fear that this will not be so. Plus a 9800GT is only really good at 720p anyhow, and more and more monitors are moving closer to 1080p as the entry-level spec nowadays :o The days of the HD5670 as even a half-ass gaming GPU are coming to a close I fear. Although Llano will still be a big improvement I'm more interested at how much of its core goes into the notebook Llanos - having an integrated HD5670 under the bonnet in a 15.6" lappy with a sub-1080p panel is a much bigger game-changer for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Solitaire wrote: »
    That's only if the GPU was run at speeds approaching 1GHz and didn't suffer massive bottlenecks. I somehow fear that this will not be so. Plus a 9800GT is only really good at 720p anyhow, and more and more monitors are moving closer to 1080p as the entry-level spec nowadays :o The days of the HD5670 as even a half-ass gaming GPU are coming to a close I fear. Although Llano will still be a big improvement I'm more interested at how much of its core goes into the notebook Llanos - having an integrated HD5670 under the bonnet in a 15.6" lappy with a sub-1080p panel is a much bigger game-changer for them!

Anything that will allow you to play older games much better than the default fail Intel gfx will be a massive improvement.

Still driver/games support I'm sure will be fun.... A built in gfx core will need serious support if it is going to be viable to play any sort of game.
    (Valve right in there the divils with their support for portal 2 for the new sand bridge cpus)

Still in another gen or two with games devs onboard for intel and ATi it might get very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Received this stuff today. Day can't end quick enough! I want to get home to get this build started!
    Praetorian wrote: »
    Palit GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1 £225.20
    Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor with FREE Lost Planet 2 PC Game - Retail 1 £150.95
    Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) 1 £122.39
    Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) 1 £29.37
    Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366/AM2/AM3) 1 £29.16
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) 1 £5.49
    Sub Total: £562.56
    DPD Two Day Parcel - Eire & Scottish Islands Shipping: £13.62
    Total Vat: £121
    Total inc Vat: £697.18

Just ordered from OCUK. I picked the same components as one of the bundles they offered, but they charge ~ £40 to do the overclocking for you? Sure isn't that part of the fun, + it doesn't sound very difficult overclocking with SB anyway!

I don't think the 2600k is worth the extra premium over the 2500k, especially for me. An extra 100 pounds, nooo!

Been using 4 gigs of ram for the last 5 years, can't see any reason to go above that now. No software I use requires more, even when I'm doing fairly heavy virtual computing :) Looking forward to this build.

Probably last hardware purchase this year, except maybe a vertex 3 in the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Just placed pretty much the same order as above, but an i7 2600k, twice the memory and a 6950 (the Sapphire one should hopefully convert to a 6970, but not too fussed either way)
    Oh yeah, a 1TB Spinpoint F3 too (might as well get rid of a couple of my smaller HDDs while I'm at it)

Sticking with the retail cooler for the time being though, I've still got to eat this month after all!:o

Anybody want to buy a testicle or a kidney?...

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    Just placed pretty much the same order as above, but an i7 2600k, twice the memory and a 6950 (the Sapphire one should hopefully convert to a 6970, but not too fussed either way)
    Oh yeah, a 1TB Spinpoint F3 too (might as well get rid of a couple of my smaller HDDs while I'm at it)

Sticking with the retail cooler for the time being though, I've still got to eat this month after all!:o

Anybody want to buy a testicle or a kidney?...

I'll offer asking on the Kidney, im sure mine's cattle trucked after Christmas and new years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Anybody want to buy a testicle?...

A 3rd testicle would look great with my watercooling system :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Just ordered a 2600k, think I'll order a MSI P67A-GD65 next :D

A 3rd testicle would look great with my watercooling system :pac:

You've got 2 on there already??? Weirdo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

You've got 2 on there already??? Weirdo!!

I would assume he means his system is already very manly, but could be more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Surprised how many people are going for the 2600k over the 2500k. Did ye read the reviews ;)

Really only heavy encoding benefits from the hyperthreading!

So opinion so far. Didn't actually realise board didn't have ide (dvd writer), so had to use external cradle, but no big hurdle. Will have to order blu ray writer I guess to fill the whole in my case now :) Brand new win7 install on my vertex 2, quickest windows setup I've ever done.

So the cpu, well its fast obviously, even at stock, running cool too, high 20's just playing around in windows. Overclocking and tweaking comes tomorrow!

But thumbs up for OCUK (this time), 2 day delivery as well. Not too shabby,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Surprised how many people are going for the 2600k over the 2500k. Did ye read the reviews ;)
    I'll be doing a lot of folding with mine so it'll make a big difference ;)

Really only heavy encoding benefits from the hyperthreading!,

HD video editing and encoding will be one of my main uses for it, so I thought I'd go mental and get the top model...
    According to the tracking my OC order is a couple of miles away, fantastic service!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Please post your thoughts when you get them, I am considering a similar upgrade from my E7500.

Okay base is now a windows experience of 7.4 up from 5.2, nothing overclocked. Encoding a ts video folder of 'moon' reduced from 57 down to 13 mins....superb. Raw video conversion in cyberlink is halved...
    Expect to improve with tweaking , but nothing adjusted yet...
    So thats a 2500k, 8gb ram , 60 gb ssd and basic xfx 5770

VERY impressed so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

redman wrote: »
    Okay base is now a windows experience of 7.4 up from 5.2, nothing overclocked. Encoding a ts video folder of 'moon' reduced from 57 down to 13 mins....superb. Raw video conversion in cyberlink is halved...
    Expect to improve with tweaking , but nothing adjusted yet...
    So thats a 2500k, 8gb ram , 60 gb ssd and basic xfx 5770

VERY impressed so far

Sweet, it definitely looks like it will be a worthwhile upgrade. The only thing holding me back is the car insurance next week:(

Advertisement