Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the best telescope for connecting a dslr to?

Options
  • 03-01-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

i have been looking at a few telescopes to get into astronomy and really want to connect a dslr to it. i heard somewhere that dobsonians weren't able to do astrophotography but i found this one and it says it is so am a bit confused?

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes/sky-watcher/dobsonians/skyliner-200p

and with this telescope how will i overcome the blurring when doing a long exposure? would i be better getting a motorised one or is the mount seperate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It depends what you are interested in. If you want to do deep sky astrophotography then Dobs are no good for that....you need a telescope on motorised equatorial mount. You might be able to do lunar and planetary imaging with a Dob, but they are generally recommended as visual scopes only.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

thanks namloc, back to the drawing board for me so:( i'll bet a motorised mount will cost as much as a bloomin telescope!! could i get a telescope first and then buy the mount after or is that what the done thing is?

Well what is your main interest....deep sky or lunar/planetary? You're right though, decent equatorial mounts can cost a small fortune.

i suppose deep sky would be more interesting long term but i would love to get some good close ups of the moon too for starters:) i reckon i'll probably go for a 8" newtonian once i see one second hand somewhere!! something like the skywatcher explorer 200. i realise the eq mount is gonna be more expensive though pity

Well it depends on your budget but you can get a Skywatcher Explorer 200 Newtonian on a EQ5 GOTO mount from £664 here. Skywatcher do very good and, crucially, not too expensive equipment which is generally well regarded.

Celestron also do a 8" newtonian on a mount from £740 here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

How good are the Meade ETX 90 and the larger 125 I wonder

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Well it depends on your budget but you can get a Skywatcher Explorer 200 Newtonian on a EQ5 GOTO mount from £664 here. Skywatcher do very good and, crucially, not too expensive equipment which is generally well regarded.

Celestron also do a 8" newtonian on a mount from £740 here.

yeah thats the mount i was looking at on a different site:) i don't want the GOTO feature but don't suppose i can get it without. i'd much prefer the celestron though cos i heard great things about the cg-5 mounts. time to save i think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

just got the cg-5gt mount before christmas very happy with it so far (bit noisy though :p )

hal9000 wrote: »
    just got the cg-5gt mount before christmas very happy with it so far (bit noisy though :p )

read somewhere the noise is like a remote control car:D i'm sure the neighbours will be wondering wtf!! but you can swap out the stock grease for better stuff and tighten the gears which make a huge difference or so i heard:) where did you get it if you don't mind me asking? are you planning on doing any astrophotography with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

breadbin wrote: »
    read somewhere the noise is like a remote control car:D i'm sure the neighbours will be wondering wtf!! but you can swap out the stock grease for better stuff and tighten the gears which make a huge difference or so i heard:) where did you get it if you don't mind me asking? are you planning on doing any astrophotography with it?

Yah it noisy but only when slewing at max speed, its actually pretty quiet when tracking objects, just got the T-adapter so hoping to do some astrophotography with my 550d this weekend (weather permitting) :D
    Got it from astronomy ireland (not the cheapest I know!)

• Advertisement

well i'd love to see how you get on with it. i hope to do the same with a similar mount. you should get the weather this weekend by all accounts:)

Advertisement