Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Host

Options
  • 03-01-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I am continually seeing questions about hosting shot down here, and in my opinion a lot of control panels are greek to new users.

Surely posts of this nature should be allowed as long as they don't break the general decency rules?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Freddio wrote: »
    I am continually seeing questions about hosting shot down here, and in my opinion a lot of control panels are greek to new users.

Surely posts of this nature should be allowed as long as they don't break the general decency rules?
    You pay hosts for a service and they should offer support to you in return.
    I'm sure if you have any questions, you should just ask the host.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Webmonkey wrote: »
    You pay hosts for a service and they should offer support to you in return.
    I'm sure if you have any questions, you should just ask the host.

I don't think it's reasonable though for the webhost to hold your hands. They provide the service and should ensure that it functions - but learning how to use it is up to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The problem is that if you mention Company A (doesn't matter who they are) then someone from Company B (or C) will start taking potshots OR you'll get some disgruntled user (or former user) of Company A taking a simple thread and turning it into an absolute nightmare ..

Also asking the provider (or asking on their site / facebook / twitter / forum / whatever) is more likely to get a better / more exact/ more precise reply ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

conorcan2 wrote: »
    I don't think it's reasonable though for the webhost to hold your hands. They provide the service and should ensure that it functions - but learning how to use it is up to the individual.
    Its perfectly reasonable to expect a host to provide assistance to customers on their systems. If the host doesn't they are not worth using.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

points noted. But the target audience I am thinking of is the newbie coder who have ended up with a generic control panel they know nothing about with a company who are un responsive (there are some big players here).

If the posts/threads were allowed to mention the control panel but not the company, you would end up closing threads as usual but some would be benificial for noobs if they adheared to this, and people would learn.

Theres not much point waiting tenth in a queue only to be told "we cant help you".

Theres a lot of students on this forum who will just end up learning the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Why don't you just pay the extra few quid a month for cPanel?

points noted. But the target audience I am thinking of is the newbie coder who have ended up with a generic control panel they know nothing about with a company who are un responsive (there are some big players here).

If the provider is "unresponsive" then why are they using them?

Its perfectly reasonable to expect a host to provide assistance to customers on their systems. If the host doesn't they are not worth using.
    There's a line though :)

Some people are happy to help themselves once they're pointed in the right direction, but there are other people who simply refuse to do anything for themselves ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

RTF Manual/User Guide/Help/Support Docs
    The Internet is largely a self-solving puzzle if you take the time and effort to look and learn for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Please delete this thread, I was only trying to be helpful, I didn't want the face bitten off me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Please delete this thread, I was only trying to be helpful, I didn't want the face bitten off me

We don't delete threads on request either :)

The reason Web Hosting is not allowed to be discussed on boards is because of certain companies and individuals past behaviour here. We may eventually decide to loosen the clampdown on that somewhat, or make exceptions for certain technology questions, but for the moment it remains.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement