Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital Photo Magazine Tutorials - Who does them?

• 03-01-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Just curious here about who buys what, if any photography magazines, if they have a subscription or buy them on a whim, which ones they prefer and why.
    I'm really curious if people do the set tasks/tutorials that come with the magazines and do you find them useful or learn anything new/beneficial in your day-to-day photography.....like learning how to shoot RAW, or converting to B&W or adding motion blur, shooting HDR images.

I'm just curious to know who actually does any of this stuff?

Do you do the photo magazine tutorials? 22 votes

Yes I do the photo magazine tutorials.
    0%
    No I don't do the photo magazine tutorials.
    9%
    drunkmonkeyPyongyang 2 votes
    Sometimes I do the photo magazine tutorials.
    40%
    Kintarō HattoriBorderfoxpeckerheadK_userTelePaul.Longshanks.AnCatDubh*eadaoingreener greene 9 votes
    What tutorials?
    50%
    PaulwtommycahirFiretrapbullpostswingkingThOndagsxr1ThecageyoneNebezpeci MysSalmon LeapLucky23 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

What tutorials?
    Don't have any subscriptions but buy the Digital Photographer magazine from time to time. Stuff that I've tried so far was related mostly to macro but no PP techniques...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I'm amazed that people still buy technology/photography magazines.

I kinda understand it if you're buying them for reproduction quality or if they're one of those Japanese mooks, but not the standard off-the-petrol-station-shelf variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

What tutorials?
    Since I got into dslr photography in August I've bought countless magazines usually 3 different ones a month. Aim was to learn about the basics of photography which they helped with a bit and as I've got more capable with the camera I bought the mags for the photoshop tutorials but haven't really learnt that much as they only explain how to alter the pics in the mag which doesn't really open up the workings of photoshop much. Yes you can apply the tutorial to your own pics but I def think buying a good photoshop text book will be a better investment which is what I'm planning to do next. Spend a fortune on the mags which get quite repetitive and don't offer much depth IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

True, they do get repetetive. I guess they count on new readership feeling they get old after after a while. As much as the tutorials are useful, sometimes it can be hard to apply them to your own images. In saying this, it does show new techniques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

What tutorials?
    I buy a mag at least once a month. I don't always buy the same one though, just whichever has the better articles at the time. Yes, I do a quick flick through in the store.

I have often started out doing the assignments/modules, but they can go on for 6 months, and I usually give in after 2-3. Haven't the patience for them really. So I'm a 'sometimes'.

Nothing wrong with photo-mags though, something to read on the Jacks :D though I have my iPhone for surfing now, I could be posting this from there, nice thought for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I buy 3 a month. Sounds mad huh?

Digital Photo, Practical Photography and Digital Camera.

I find the first is poorer of the 3, but it occasionally has some interesting ideas.

I like reading the other two for the interviews and some of the photo's shown. The internet has far more samples, but there is something to be said for having regular access to images in print.

I've never sent anything in and I've never taken part in their online courses.

I've used their CD's on occasion, usually if something strikes me as interesting. But I often feel like they've taken a "perfect" picture, then dulled it, just so they can show how easy PP can be.

And I often get frustrated that they go into lists of "things to do right now", but fail to point out that the samples shown are all taken with pro-spec cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

My favourites would be Black and White Photography, and the British Journal of Photography (though that's hard to get over here!)

I don't do any of the tutorials personally, but do sometimes use 'em for inspiration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

What tutorials?
    i learned loads from the recent PhotoShop bit in Practical Photography

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I buy a mag at least once a month. I don't always buy the same one though, just whichever has the better articles at the time. Yes, I do a quick flick through in the store.

I have often started out doing the assignments/modules, but they can go on for 6 months, and I usually give in after 2-3. Haven't the patience for them really. So I'm a 'sometimes'.

Nothing wrong with photo-mags though, something to read on the Jacks :D though I have my iPhone for surfing now, I could be posting this from there, nice thought for you ;)

I always knew you were full of sh*t! :eek:

What tutorials?
    Not once I'm done in there :P

Practical photography
    Outdoor photography
    Digital Camera

Just had a quick look through the old pile of them I have in the drawer, I mostly buy Practical Photography it seems.

I bought one in the States called 'Shutterbug' which was nice for a change, but I'd prefer the more simple layout of the UK mags. The US one was laid out a bit like Time magazine or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

I don't get it. These magazines are overpriced and low on content but very high on adverts. Is it that people like looking at new gear and reading gear reviews instead of maybe, you know, just making photos?

Why not just look through some photoblogs (http://photowalk.ie/photobloggers). The folks here would be delighted to tell you how they achieved a particular shot. Then maybe subscribe, if you must, to some quality publications of note like Ag or Source.ie?

Maybe I missed a TPS report.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i read my dad's copies of practical photography when i was a kid, but i've never bought one. they repeat on a 12 month cycle, and apart from the basics, don't teach you an awful lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

oh Pete, is this going to turn into another film v digital discussion (yawn....)

(sorry - i've been wanting to add that to some thread and admittedly got bored waiting, so i've hijacked your thread ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No I don't do the photo magazine tutorials.
    gsxr1 wrote: »
    i learned loads from the recent PhotoShop bit in Practical Photography

So did I the xmas edition was really good, really helped me with photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

I dont see why people buy magazines at all, there's a huge amount of information online! you get all the people making sites, flickr groups, then the people who love the sound of their own voice and put up videos of every little thing on youtube (some of which are useful if you find the right channels)

I dont see why people buy magazines at all, there's a huge amount of information online! you get all the people making sites, flickr groups, then the people who love the sound of their own voice and put up videos of every little thing on youtube (some of which are useful if you find the right channels)

I think most people put up videos because...

1. They're excited to share something they've learned
    or
    2. They're selling additional services and using the video as bait

Both valid, both useful. Take'em or leave'em as you can usually gauge their worth after a few seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I but two magazines a month and read them for business as well as photographic elements.

What tutorials?
    I don't get it. These magazines are overpriced and low on content but very high on adverts. Is it that people like looking at new gear and reading gear reviews instead of maybe, you know, just making photos?

Why not just look through some photoblogs (http://photowalk.ie/photobloggers). The folks here would be delighted to tell you how they achieved a particular shot. Then maybe subscribe, if you must, to some quality publications of note like Ag or Source.ie?

Around €6 a month? If you only buy the one like I do that is.

Plenty of content for the price. Most of it is re-hash of course, but there's no harm revising, all helps beat it into your head over time. And it's not all about what the mag's writers are trying to teach, most of the top mag's involve readers as much as possible. There's C&C sections on reader's entries, there's out on location sessions with chosen readers, there's usually interviews with pro-photographers and of course plenty of beautiful images with the settings displayed, which can be helpful in itself.

Sure, you can do tutorials and read all the articles online you desire. But I actually like to get away from the monitor now and again. You can't beat sitting comfortably in your armchair, or even at the table, reading while having a coffee and sandwich. I tend to have more patience reading off paper than from a screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Its difficult to take photos while lying in bed, or while curled up on the sofa drinking tea. We all have moments where we like to "shut down", reading is good for that sort of thing.

As for these magazines being overpriced? I don't smoke or drink, most of my friends do and they cost about the same. Willing to bet I'll have my magazines alot longer than a pint or a box of fags. And I only buy them once a month, compare that to a night out on the beer, or 20 a day.

Most people on here do look at online stuff too. Who says you can't do both?

As I said in my post, I do prefer having a physical print in my hand. And its too easy to skip through dozens of photos online, without really looking at them.

Personally reading is a hobby that I've had all of my life, magazines are an addition to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

I pick one up every now and again if I particularly like the images or if they have an interview with an interesting photographer. They were more handy when I first bought the camera, not so much any more.

These days I actually buy mostly food and sometimes home or fashion magazines if I like the photography and want to study it a bit more or keep it for inspiration.

Picked up my first photo magazine in September. Was going on holiday and wanted something to read on the flight (had intended to pack Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide, but forgot it at the last minute).

Currently I have 5 magazines and I don't think I'll be investing in any more. They don't seem to go too in-depth into anything at all. I actually picked up one of the magazines purely for the Photoshop CD that came with it.

I didn't really use the CD though. Got bored, fast.

I have a few books though, and I think I'll stick to paying a bit more for a book that covers a subject in-depth. I'm awaiting a Portraiture book from the Book Depository at the moment (can't remember the name). I'll probably only read it once, but I'm sure I'll still get more out of it than a magazine puchase.

I keep Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide in my backpack though, incase I'm ever going anywhere and get bored or want something to read or look at. Find it a great little book, with lots of information on the basics.

Magazine tutorials just don't do it for me at all. I wouldn't mind a person sitting down with me and going through a few things, but I can't seem to keep my attention focused on a magazine or CD tutorial.

What tutorials?
    I'm the complete opposite, I can't get into photography books at all. I've bought and tried a few, but I get very bored, very quickly. Almost everything I've learned has come from online tutorials/forums, groups, places like Flickr, cameralabs, here of course, and just figuring stuff out myself.

I don't buy the magazines to learn, I just buy them for a quick read, to brush up on stuff, to get some light inspiration to try new things maybe, to see how other readers are coming along/struggling ... I wouldn't recommend anyone learn solely from them, or the books for that matter.

I rarely spend more than €6-€7 a month on them.

For anyone looking to try them out for the first time, Practical photography gives you a free lens cloth this month. Since the cloths can cost around €3 each, you're essentially getting the magazine for about the same. Good time to give it a shot, see how you get on with one issue. Not a bad mag.

Advertisement